shipping a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about selling a couple of my saws (an 029 and a McCulloch MS1635AV) if I am successful acquiring an 026, and am wondering if there are recommendations for how to ship them cost effectively. The 029 has a 20" bar, but no case. The McCulloch has the hard case. Obviously can take the bars off of both.

Figured someone here must have some experience shipping saws!

I use USPS. Empty all fluids as best you can. Plastic bottles make great packing material.

Also, wrap the bar in newspaper and tape the ends shut. Many times these seem to slip out of the box and become lost. All fluids need to be drained too.

Keep the bar on the 029 as it will require a bigger box.

Keep the case on the Mac. It most likely will add no value and drive the shipping cost up.

Find a friend that ships items via a commercial account and that makes the cost a lot less.

I've shipped a few saws put them in s pillow case fill with news paper or whatever in all the dead space. I wont ship a bar mounted on the saw. Get some cardboard sheet and make like a sheath for the bar tape the **** out of it and ship it seperate

Any suggestions for getting the color back on the plastic? I used Simple Green and it cleaned it up but didn't remove the stains. Think pressure washing will work? Or should I just leav e it as is to show it has aged well...

Never ship a saw with the bar still attached.

Gary

Haven't gotten one with a bar yet, but the one I got off fleabag still had fuel and bar oil in it :dizzy:
Any suggestions for getting the color back on the plastic? I used Simple Green and it cleaned it up but didn't remove the stains. Think pressure washing will work? Or should I just leav e it as is to show it has aged well...
No, just leave it as it is. You'll waste a bunch of time just to be more frustrated.

Take that 029 and wrap it in a plastic bag, garbage bags work well and ship it to me.

I have shipped a few saws, and so far so good. I get strange looks at the PO though :)
I pull off all I can (bucking spurs, wrap handle, stack air breather ect...) I then put the powerhead in multiple trash bags, so many that I get made fun of. I then pack the assorted parts I pulled earlier is even more trash bags. I fill the box with crumpled newspapers, really full. I then tape the box closed with LOTS of tape. I always stress about sending a saw... I keep bugging the guy I am sending it to to see if he got it yet.
So far so good, no lost saws, no lost parts.

Last edited:
I have shipped a few saws, and so far so good. I get strange looks at the PO though :)
I pull off all I can (bucking spurs, wrap handle, stack air breather ect...) I then put the powerhead in multiple trash bags, so many that I get made fun of. I then pack the assorted parts I pulled earlier is even more trash bags. I fill the box with crumpled newspapers, really full. I then tape the box closed with LOTS of tape. I always stress about sending a saw... I keep bugging the guy I am sending it to to see if he got it yet.
So far so good, no lost saws, no lost parts.

I use lots of newspaper and tape, too. One other thing...make sure the box has a little room from front to back. I sent a Jonsered 621 that had the throttle handle right up against the box. The sorter in the USPS broke the handle and case. I learned the hard way!!

Any suggestions for getting the color back on the plastic? I used Simple Green and it cleaned it up but didn't remove the stains. Think pressure washing will work? Or should I just leave it as is to show it has aged well...

Meguiar's Tire Gel works very well--a $7 fix to spruce up faded plastic. It works great on my old 044. I got this tip from Wigglesworth (thanks again, Wigs).

Olyeller

Just today I received a saw that was packed with some strategicly placed styrofoam,,but the rest of the box was packed with plastic pillows that are filled with air. I have never seen these before, but they fill all the irregular spaces perfectly.

Back