shipping saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i recently sold a saw that weighs in the range of 10 lbs or so ,on ebay.
i stipulated that shipping will be what ever the ups will ship it for. im in nc,28127 and hes at 02865. which is rhode island. ebays says the post office will ship it for 3.95.
could that be right. if so ,ill be learned something. any help appreciated.

seems a little cheap to me. When I sell car parts on ebay, I use USPS priority mail or UPS. Depending on the weight, it should be between $12-20 bucks to ship it. USing parcel post (cheap variety) could take up to a couple weeks to get there.....

Steve

Using the information you posted, and the USPS Postage Calculator, I get it costing $11.60 for parcel post (4 days), or $13.70 priority mail (2 days), or $39.50 express mail (overnight). There are rates listed for printed matter like books, but that wouldn't apply here, and their cost is higher than what eBay said anyhow. I don't know where they're getting their info, but it would appear they are wrong.
Also, since you said it would be shipped UPS, I don't see why it is even coming to a discussion of USPS rates anyhow.

i recently shipped two Mac 110's...packed in the same box USPS, they told me it was 4 day parcel post...it took 2 weeks to arrive, price was about $8.75 (i forgot what the weight was).

well thats what i was thinking. i told him id send it if ebay was right in there calculations. altho i cant see how they would know. no mention of the saws wt was in the auction.in any case ill send it when i get the price of the saw plus actual shipping cost[via usps] from the buyer.if ebay wants to fuss. lettum. its their mistake. the only one that must know im being honest ,is me...mabe it will ship for that and we wont have a problem.if that shipping is not realistic ,or even close ,ill just send the fellow his money order back. thanks for the info.

3.95 is the pre-postage rate increase price for a priority mail flat rate envelope. Anything that fits into the envelope with the flap completely closed costs the same, up to some impossible weight like 40lbs. Most I've ever gotten in an envelope was 12lbs. Rate is now $4.05.

$3.95 would also be the pre increase price for a 1lb regular priority mail parcel.

shipping saws

You live and learn. I shipped a saw from North MS. to MI. It will be five weeks Monday and he has not received it. I thought I was shipping first class, but found out later that once the weight goes over app. 13 oz. you must ship priority to be first class. I refunded his $128.00 last Sunday (my mistake so I paid). I also learned this week that USPS has a 6x8x11 flat rate box that they will ship any weight up to 70 lb. for $8.10 as long as it closes up with no bulges, they charge extra for the bulges.. Tom

im seeing a con here. if and i doubt it , he even sends the money order . ill take the saw dn to the po . get them to give me the lowest cost for shipping from here to there.then send a copy of the po cost estimate,, to this guy.
after this is played out ,i think it will be my duty to warn those on here
about who this guy is. if darin doesnt want me to do it on this forum ill give his name by private email.i dont like to say bad things about others but all good men have to do is nothing ,for evil to prevail. sorry if this seems a bit dramatic.
i just dont like con men and thieves and liars.

I've learned the hard way; don't mess with the mail unless you ship priority and insure it. Parcel Post really gets beat around and takes a long long time. The only way I'll ship from now on is UPS insured for actual value. I don't like to eat a saw???

UPS ships with a tracking # and also covers insurance up to a $100. for no fee . The down side of UPS is the packages dont always show up at the buyer like it was sent , i have had many many items crushed with UPS . If shipping with the post office priority mail with a delivery confirmation # is the only way to go . Priority mail is handled different than post or 1st class mail. NEVER , NEVER , NEVER .......ship anything with out a tracking # or a confirmation # bucause if the buyer pays paypal or credit card or pays with a postal money order and YOU dont have the proof of a shipping # they can say they didnt get the item (or it did really get lost ) and get there money back from YOU with no questions asked. I have seen many scamers that buy items off ebay thinking you are shipping post mail or priority mail with no confirmation # and wait for the item and when they get it they file that they didnt get it and get there money back . Seller beware ! Its been going on for years so dont think it wont happen . best of luck 2 ya .

retoocs555 said:
.......................Most I've ever gotten in an envelope was 12lbs. ...............

Scott,

Pack it tighter. I can get 15 chains in a envelope. :) If I was shipping moulder knives I bet I cout get 25 lbs in one. Too bad USPS killed their tape program. I really helped. As for a saw $6.81 was the cheapest I ever shipped one for.

Bill

postal service is slower than hand delivering the saw...I recieved the saws V-man shipped, and it was literally two weeks and according to the shipping label it was supposed to be 4 days max, they are slow with everything I've noticed though, except for sending my bills to me, they always come on time if not early....

when shipping through the post office, the only way to ship is with Priority mail. Most of the time it is 2-3 days. I have gotten burned on the parcel post (4 days) that took the better part of two weeks...

On a side note, I recieved my brand new saw today. It was shipped yesterday morning from southern ohio (on the state line, almost Kentucky). It was shipped through UPS and cost 14.24, weighed roughly 14 pounds, and was insured for $400. That too me, is worth the extra cost, if any.

-Steve

UPS is okay, but I've had problems. Goods were damaged, took about 6 months to get my money. On top of that, they charge a bloody fortune to clear stuff through canada customs. Had a box shipped here from texas, about 1 foot by 1 foot by 3 feet, shipper paid to the border, I paid from the border to my house. Value of item was 780 US, cost me about 250 to clear customs (duty free item) and ship about 70 miles from the border. Never had any problem with the post office, they charge 5 bucks to do the paperwork to clear customs no matter what the value.

Latest posts

Back