Shipping to Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Could someone explain why shipping a used saw to Canada is such a problem?

Alot of things on E-bay are US only.
Last week I made a deal for 2 saws. 1 ebay saw and 1 on here.

To get the E-bay saw I had to have it shipped from NY to a friend in Ohio. He will then ship to me. The second deal feel thru because to use sellers words," too much hassle to ship to Canada".

I sell worldwide with no issues. I go to the PO, give the address and $ and away it goes.

What or who makes it so hard to do the same in the US?

Well you do need to fill out that form to declair what it is and the value. As long as going with Standard US or Canada post it is not a big deal, but with some shipping companies they gouge on brokerage fees.

I hear the same thing all the time, they can`t take a couple of mins to fill out the declaration form at the PO. but they will mail it to someone else within the USA. Basically it seems they are afraid of taking a couple of minutes and actually reading the form,then filling in the address of both where the parcel is going to, their own address and declaring what is in the parcel and its value, then sign their name to it. Takes me 2-3 mins tops and away the parcel goes, simple as **** but there is just too many that are scared of taking the time or afraid of filling out forms.

Pioneerguy600

Well you do need to fill out that form to declair what it is and the value. As long as going with Standard US or Canada post it is not a big deal, but with some shipping companies they gouge on brokerage fees.

Regarding the form, the post master fills that out for me. I just tell him its a used saw, and how much insurance I want. 1 minute tops.

I know about the fees, our Government gets its kick at you also. Sent one of my saws stateside for a demo. Had to pay tax on it as if I was buying and bringing in a new saw when it returned. $75 tax to get my own saw back.

I don't mind shipping to Canada but it kind of chaps my hide when I find out about the taxes needing to be paid by the Canadians but seems there's none shipping to the US.

Free trade agreement? My azz.

Seems I have not been able to sell some things because of that tax.

Another thing is the Canadian customs wants to hold things up for sometime.

Jerry, how long did it take for you to get that saw that I sent you that time?

I'm thinking it was over 3 weeks. Thats the reason right there that when I sell something on Ebay I usually won't ship to Canada. I don't need a negative for slow shipping when I cannot control it.

On the other hand I just recieved a saw Friday from BC Canada and I think it was a week to get it. Why a week here from BC but over 3 weeks to NS Canada?

I have never had a problem with shipping to Canada. Most times it takes longer to come back from CA but the last time was not bad. 2 saws in one box took a total of eight days. It has in the past been up to 16 days but I think they get lost in American customs when watching tracking. Declair forms are 1-2 minutes tops.

Thats the reason right there that when I sell something on Ebay I usually won't ship to Canada. I don't need a negative for slow shipping when I cannot control it.

On the other hand I just recieved a saw Friday from BC Canada and I think it was a week to get it. Why a week here from BC but over 3 weeks to NS Canada?[/QUOTE]

You are right. I get alot of requests on ebay to ship to Canada. I have UPS service. But they are expensive to Canada and their handling fees are high. People will ask to ship as a gift. Then only use the USPS. So as a seller I can put it in a box and ship to anywhere in the US with UPS pickup. Or wait in line at the post office. Fill out the customs long form. Then wait wait for someone to give you negative feedback because it took too long to receive. Or you didnt declare it a gift and put its true value on the form. As the OP stated for Most sellers it is too much of a hassle. Just stating the sellers side of this. I have shipped to Canada after some dialog with the buyer. So we both know what to expect.

This is my take on what happens up here when we buy stuff from outside of Canada (I may be wrong on some points) .
As a rule the tax we pay is the GST/HST (each province has their own rate ) is paid on the declared value or purchase price of the unit because it is being brought into the country , taxed the same as if it was made here , if they could track all used sales like cars they'd have their hand out for tax $$ on all used sales .
If we get an item that is made in a non free trade country a duty or tariff is charged (based on item and country) then GST/HST is added to the duty or tariff .
If items come to Canada via USPS no brokerage fees are added but if a freight company is used for example UPS you get a bill from them for brokerage fees to tell you there is no duty then your bill goes up by the tax due on the price of the unit plus brokerage and HST/GST .
Some freight companies will let you declare your parcels so no fees are charged , it just costs you your time .
If you send something up here and you declare that the item value or price paid is the total of item + shipping + insurance we get stuck paying tax on the whole lump so make sure the buyer and seller are on the same page for dollar value written on paper .
I buy trapping supplies from the US , most of the time I get the product in about 2 weeks but I go for the cheapest shipping cost to get here USPS on small orders and general freight companies on the bigger stuff .
I believe all international mail only comes in through a couple of locations so there is a back log and general freight will hop through a few different carriers , the courier companies have a more direct route to the major centers in Canada .
I hope this helps some .

:cheers:

Some of my experiences with goods shipped from the USA.

I ordered a fishing reel from Cabelas. It arrive by Canada Post to the door, no extra fees or taxes. I tried the reel and liked it, so I ordered another one. It arrived via a note on my door to go to my local post office to pick up. There , I paid $18. for duties, taxes, including a postal customs handling fee of $5.00. A tax of $18. on a $ 39.99 USD reel? If that had happened first, there wouldn't have been a second one.

Baileys' items arrive at the door, no extras (they charge , I think 3% on the invoice for customs, (which is fine), but I paid some $30.00 to ship a $ 100. USD order.

Cutting Edge only charges around $ 10. on a $ 125. order.
It came to the door , no extras.

It takes a minimum 10 working days to arrive, so I don't even look any sooner.

Lately I have received several items ( small orders) to the door, no extras, not even HST.

I find that if items are shipped near Christmas, it has more chance of coming to the door without extra charges.

Canadians are at the mercy of the customs clerk on duty and how they feel that day. There's no consistency or any expectation that the correct duties are levied. I just pay whatever they ask just so I can get my package.

I've shipped a few items to Canada via USPS, from small packges containing chainsaw parts to a large box containing a guitar. The customs form (I don't recall the #) is very simple to fill out, the one at the actual PO is simpler than the one on-line. Other than taking a while to get delivered, the guitar took 16 days, there were no problems for the receivers.

The too much hassle excuse is bogas!!! Just fill the form out. I will only use Canada Post or USPS, all the couriers charge way too much. I don't mind the longer wait, heck I waited my whole life for this saw/part, what's another week or two. This is one of the pitfalls of dealing on e-bay. I'm close to the border, so a U.S. address is easy for me.

Could someone explain why shipping a used saw to Canada is such a problem?

Alot of things on E-bay are US only.
Last week I made a deal for 2 saws. 1 ebay saw and 1 on here.

To get the E-bay saw I had to have it shipped from NY to a friend in Ohio. He will then ship to me. The second deal feel thru because to use sellers words," too much hassle to ship to Canada".

I sell worldwide with no issues. I go to the PO, give the address and $ and away it goes.

What or who makes it so hard to do the same in the US?

I ship to Canada atleast 1-2 times per month and it's never really an issue. It's only 5-10% more expensive, on average, and it's only 1 piece of paperwork that takes a minute to do. I shipped two hydro filters for a mower to Ontario last week and it was about 6$. And the time is slower to arrive than domestic shipping, but maybe 2-3 days longer. Last thing I got from there came from BC and took about 10-12 days to get.

Last edited:
I don't mind shipping to Canada but it kind of chaps my hide when I find out about the taxes needing to be paid by the Canadians but seems there's none shipping to the US.

Free trade agreement? My azz.

Seems I have not been able to sell some things because of that tax.

Another thing is the Canadian customs wants to hold things up for sometime.

Jerry, how long did it take for you to get that saw that I sent you that time?

I'm thinking it was over 3 weeks. Thats the reason right there that when I sell something on Ebay I usually won't ship to Canada. I don't need a negative for slow shipping when I cannot control it.

On the other hand I just recieved a saw Friday from BC Canada and I think it was a week to get it. Why a week here from BC but over 3 weeks to NS Canada?

Mark,..it can take anywhere from 10 days to 30 to get a parcel from the mid USA to here, that saw took 20 days. I get a lot of stuff shipped to me from Wasington State and it arrives in 15 -17 days USPS , a parcel from BC will take as long but I can send a letter out to BC in 3-4 days.
When I first started dealing State side 5-6 years back there was hardly a seller that would ship up here, now the ones I have cajoled into shipping to me have no problems shipping to anyone up here. I did point out to eBay sellers that they will almost certainly get more money for their merchandise from a Canadian if they stated on their auction that they would ship to Canada than if they just stated they ship to the US. This has proven to be so and now they are open to shipping up here. Another thing is that I will contact the seller and discuss shipping and selling to Canadians in general, I state that I would not under no circumstances report or give NEG. feedback for slow shipping as I know that is out of their hands. I feel that I have made great inroads into getting stuff shipped up here to me and don`t want to ruffle any feathers, the ones that refuse to ship to Canada are losing out on profit on their sales, it probably don`t affect them if they are only selling the odd item now and then. If they are a online seller or have an eBay storefront then they need to get into shipping to us even if they don`t want to go to shipping overseas. IMHO.

Pioneerguy600

I had a new MS290 engine I shipped to Canada dismantled at customs, the owner e-mailed me about it but stll gave me a positive feedback.

No, I didn't pursue it. I didn't want to bring attention to the "OTHER"
package!!!!

No, seriously, the buy told me that it had been opened and taken apart, so
I am assuming it was them. He was still happy enough, so why pursue it?

It would likely take many hours of time, and still I wouldn't get any good
explanation.

Heck, maybe in an x-ray, it likely looked like a bomb.

If I buy something in the U.S. I insist the post office.
If you buy anything , UPS has at a $35 brokerage (minimum)fee!!
Kinda sucks on a $10 part!!!
I will not allow a brown truck in my yard!!!
If I ship from here I use the post office, no questions.
If I use Purolater they have a female at the desk that sniffs your package and if look or smells of chainsaw she declares it dangerous goods, I have a special name for her!!! It's not Santa either!!!!.

Mark,..it can take anywhere from 10 days to 30 to get a parcel from the mid USA to here, that saw took 20 days. I get a lot of stuff shipped to me from Wasington State and it arrives in 15 -17 days USPS , a parcel from BC will take as long but I can send a letter out to BC in 3-4 days.
When I first started dealing State side 5-6 years back there was hardly a seller that would ship up here, now the ones I have cajoled into shipping to me have no problems shipping to anyone up here. I did point out to eBay sellers that they will almost certainly get more money for their merchandise from a Canadian if they stated on their auction that they would ship to Canada than if they just stated they ship to the US. This has proven to be so and now they are open to shipping up here. Another thing is that I will contact the seller and discuss shipping and selling to Canadians in general, I state that I would not under no circumstances report or give NEG. feedback for slow shipping as I know that is out of their hands. I feel that I have made great inroads into getting stuff shipped up here to me and don`t want to ruffle any feathers, the ones that refuse to ship to Canada are losing out on profit on their sales, it probably don`t affect them if they are only selling the odd item now and then. If they are a online seller or have an eBay storefront then they need to get into shipping to us even if they don`t want to go to shipping overseas. IMHO.

Pioneerguy600

Jerry your the kind of Canadian buyer I would sell to on ebay. Notice I said useally wont, not never.

If the buyer is alright with waiting on it then thats fine with me.

Someone else mentinoned the hassle of going to the post office, well that fits me as well as I can have UPS pickup at work. If I work overtime like I have been, I cannot get to the post office during businness hours so that shipment might have to wait till Saturday to get shipped.

My lovely wife stops at the post office for me but I try to limit asking her to do that more then once or twice a week out of courtesy to her.

I

I never give a negative responce on shipping. Going in I know I am looking at a 3 week wait most times, and I also know how life gets in the way of even the best intentions.

I tell people that I sell to that a 2-3 week shipping time is normal. Never had a deal fall thru because of it.

Latest posts

Back