shipping to Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping

Getting stuff shipped to Canada really sux sometimes, but others sometimes go smoothly..

CR sent me one of those PP 330's new, from Ohio to Alberta in its regular box, took only 4 days, cost only $30 bux, arrived intact and no extra charges!! (carrier was ups, believe it or not?!)

But that's a boatload of saws, the shipping does sound about right,I have been looking for a sled motor for a friend of mine, and they want a similar amount for shipping it, about $300 bux..

Some lucky buyer in Sask, is getting some cool stuff though!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Could that have been the gst/pst due on the declared value ?
Duty free does not mean tax free .

Yep, that's exactly what that would be....Canada Post brokers a package for $5 and collects the applicable sales tax for each province.....They only charge on about 1 in 10 at the most. I haven't paid anything on a package for ages!

KNOCK ON WOOD!!

The only saw I can ship across the country now for $25 via any service would be like a Stihl 009 or something similar.

I shipped a 372 to Maine a couple weeks ago via Fedex and it was $44 (PHO).

Parcel Post is useless.

Dean- your best option would be to box up the smaller/similar size bows and then the larger ones. Send the smaller ones via USPS and the larger ones via UPS standard to Canada. I'll bet you could get it done for less than $200 total.

Possible?
But the weight and dimensions are what they are.
Breaking them up will still leave a base price per parcel.
Either option sucks.
$340ish is more then likely going to be the best option.

Or you could listen to someone that ships a lot....

Shipped to the receivers neighbor more then once!
Been through all the major shippers, and the fairest rates were by UPS on items over 4lbs.
USPS on items less 4lbs was the best way.

Note:
Many here can vouch for the receiver, so tracking or confirmation of delivery really isn't a priority from what I read into. Just a good old rate to move saws or saw parts from one CAD member to another.

Could that have been the gst/pst due on the declared value ?
Duty free does not mean tax free .

Yep, that's exactly what that would be....Canada Post brokers a package for $5 and collects the applicable sales tax for each province.....They only charge on about 1 in 10 at the most. I haven't paid anything on a package for ages!

KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Good question. It was a while back and I forget just what the paperwork said. I know it pissed me off.:D

I've shipped a bunch of packages overseas and to Canada using USPS. It's the best way to go!

Ya do have to watch the weight limit and might have to send two packages.

Possible?
But the weight and dimensions are what they are.
Breaking them up will still leave a base price per parcel.
Either option sucks.
$340ish is more then likely going to be the best option.

Shipped to the receivers neighbor more then once!
Been through all the major shippers, and the fairest rates were by UPS on items over 4lbs.
USPS on items less 4lbs was the best way.

Note:
Many here can vouch for the receiver, so tracking or confirmation of delivery really isn't a priority from what I read into. Just a good old rate to move saws or saw parts from one CAD member to another.

4 lbs. or less is/can go usps first class int., which is real cheap, but has no confirmation.....

priority int. is still much cheaper than the alternatives.

but since the shipping cost is figured upon the shipping box, and i seriously doubt the real dimensions of the bow bars, then this thread
discussion is still wide open......

We need to discuss these things on real terms.....

4 lbs. or less is/can go usps first class int., which is real cheap, but has no confirmation.....

but since the shipping cost is figured upon the shipping box, and i seriously doubt the real dimensions of the bow bars, then this thread

I agree its all about the magical volumetric dimensions, like how at times it cost more to mail a parcel 4x4x4, but near half the price to mail one 4x4x8!

When dealing with people in Canada you should ask them if they like being butt raped, if they do then by all means send it UPS. UPS in Canada is kinda like the Taliban, everytime you see one of there trucks you want to give it a blast of 25mm.

True and not arguing against any one. Just stated my past experience(which is actual 5 times to SASK Canada.)

My opinion (opinion) is that for the time, effort, and $$$ involved.
$340 is about ball park with out some major repacking or sort.

Well everyone has their opinions on which is best. There have been a few points of misinformation.

First USPS weight limit is 66lbs to Canada not 60 lbs
Next a box 50x28 x whatever will not go USPS anytime, anywhere The length plus girth is limited to 108 inches. A box that is 28x18x18 is 100 inches. That is why that is the size box I use on overseas shipping.
USPS does not care where in the USA it is coming from nor where in Canada it is going. The rates are the same except in extreme cases

Here are the complete USPS rates for Canada
Canada

UPS charges different rates based on location. They take packages up to 150lbs but once over 70lbs the rates are basically at the 150lb rate. The size of the box generates a dimensional weight charge. If you ship light stuff in big boxes you will pay for a heavy package. With UPS the receiver gets hit fees but the initial lower shipping costs many times will offset it. I know this as the member Dean is wanting to send the parts to is a person I have sent many large boxes to.

Bill

Today I boxed-up 6 bow bars to go to Sasketchewan. Two full-size Mac 2-man bows, a Mall 2MG bow, an old Lombard bow, a useless Poulan bow, and a Mac 3-25 bow. The box was 50"x
28" and weighed 100 lbs. UPS wanted $338.40. I brought it home and took out 3 bows. It now weighs 74lbs. UPS wants $338.40 to ship because the box is still extra-large. I'm sure I can take it to him for that! What's up with this wild shipping rates these days.
Igpoe:cheers:

UPS is a rip-off. Bad. Not only do they overcharge for shipping, they steal money with brokerage fees that far exceed the value of the service rendered.

I decided a couple of years ago not to buy anything from anyone who insists on shipping UPS over USPS to Canada.

Looks like someone is going to "get it" no matter what way you chose to ship, though it looks like UPS is the only option because of the size of the box. Delivering in person is a option but you are looking at 2000+ miles, at 20mpg and gas at a average cost of $4/gal you are looking at $400+. Not to mention you need a passport and what kind of trouble might customs cause you when they see a bed full of chainsaw bow bars? I have never crossed a boarder myself so I do not know how customs works when you are there in person.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!
One of my last parcels from the US via USPS/Canada Post I got dinged with all the fees, it was still half of what UPS charges.
Shipping is getting expensive.

UPS is a rip-off. Bad. Not only do they overcharge for shipping, they steal money with brokerage fees that far exceed the value of the service rendered.

I decided a couple of years ago not to buy anything from anyone who insists on shipping UPS over USPS to Canada.

Well the person Dean(Igpoe) is wanting to send the bow bars to just received a saw from Dean and it was sent USPS/Canada Post. The fees were $213 USPS/Canada Post are not all that fair either

Well the person Dean(Igpoe) is wanting to send the bow bars to just received a saw from Dean and it was sent USPS/Canada Post. The fees were $213 USPS/Canada Post are not all that fair either

It's been my experience that parcels coming from Canada, starting out in the Canada Post system end up costing more than the same/similar parcels going to
Canada that start out in the USPS system. But you're right, there's pros and cons with all of them and all shipping is getting expensive and it's only going
to get worse from here.

I wonder if those striking Canada Post workers got the additional benefits they were striking for?

It's been my experience that parcels coming from Canada, starting out in the Canada Post system end up costing more than the same/similar parcels going to
Canada that start out in the USPS system. But you're right, there's pros and cons with all of them and all shipping is getting expensive and it's only going
to get worse from here.

I wonder if those striking Canada Post workers got the additional benefits they were striking for?

JJ,

It came from the US to Canada. The shipping I was making reference to from from South Boston VA to Pelly SK. Dean started this thread because he was wanting to send another box from South Boston VA to Pelly SK.

Bill

Here is a rate comparison between USPS and UPS. Remember the whole point of this thread was to get bow bars from South Boston VA 24592 to Pelly SK s0a2z0

Shipping bow bars from South Boston VA to Pelly SK
Box size is 37x28x8 MAX SIZE ALLOWED BY USPS
USPS rates are based on paying at the post office. UPS rates are based on paying at the UPS office
40lbs USPS $96.40 UPS $98.93
45lbs USPS $106.15 UPS $98.93
50lbs USPS $115.90 UPS $98.93
55lbs USPS $125.65 UPS $98.93
60lbs USPS $135.40 UPS $100.71
66lbs USPS $147.10 UPS $106.33
70lbs USPS Not available UPS $110.21
71lbs USPS Not Available UPS $120.55
100lbs USPS Not Available UPS $153.44
140lbs USPS Not Available UPS $205.71

250lbs UPS Freight $404.72

JJ,

It came from the US to Canada. The shipping I was making reference to from from South Boston VA to Pelly SK. Dean started this thread because he was wanting to send another box from South Boston VA to Pelly SK.

Bill

I'm well aware of the events. I too have shipped and received many packages from Kev and other Canadian collectors, including a mint 2100S that went to Alberta. My point was, a parcel originating in the Canada Post system is going to be more expensive than the same parcel traveling the same distance that originates in the USPS system.

I'm well aware of the events. I too have shipped and received many packages from Kev and other Canadian collectors, including a mint 2100S that went to Alberta. My point was, a parcel originating in the Canada Post system is going to be more expensive than the same parcel traveling the same distance that originates in the USPS system.

JJ,

Well I am sorry but simply is not been my experience. Here is an example using USPS/Canada Post

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped from Pelly SK SOA2Z0 to Illinois 61259 is $119.49
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s9

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped Illinois 61259 to Pelly SOA2Z0 is $147.10 at the PO and $139.75 online International Price Calculator

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped from Pelly SK SOA2Z0 to Bend Oregon97701 is $87.13
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s11

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped from Bend Oregon97701 to Pelly SK SOA2Z0 is $147.10 at the PO and $139.75 online
International Price Calculator

The same box going from Bend Oregon to Pelly SK is $60 more expensive.

Bill

Last edited:
JJ,

Well I am sorry but simply is not been my experience. Here is an example using USPS/Canada Post

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped from Pelly SK SOA2Z0 to Illinois 61259 is $119.49
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s9

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped Illinois 61259 to Pelly SOA2Z0 is $147.10 at the PO and $139.75 online International Price Calculator

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped from Pelly SK SOA2Z0 to Bend Oregon97701 is $87.13
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s11

A parcel 28"x18"x18" weighing 66lbs shipped from Bend Oregon97701 to Pelly SK SOA2Z0 is $147.10 at the PO and $139.75 online
International Price Calculator

The same box going from Bend Oregon to Pelly SK is $60 more expensive.

Bill

I think if you actually went to Canada Post with those packages, you'd get a surprise. In my experience, the online calculators are just an estimate, and a very rough one. JJ is right, parcels come from the states cheaper than they can go there. You send me a package, and when it gets here I'll mail it back. See who is out of pocket more. I already know.

Latest posts

Back