Shoes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious what type of footwear you all sport while aloft?

Personally, I wear something like these most of the time....

1000x1000.jpg

You must love sawdust in your shoes.

I wear Hoffmans and like them a lot. I don't quite understand having several different sets of foot gear. One for removals, one for pruning, one for ground work... Too much stuff to buy and bring to the job.

I spend most my time driving or walking job sites now. I still make a point to climb at least twice a week. We do mainly prune jobs, so massive amounts of sawdust aren't an issue, at least on the ones I climb ;)

Yes, Jeff, my pole gaff innoculator's are the cat's meow.

The only thing is they require grease applied at the spring sleeve to keep them retracting properly.

Next set will have grease zirts and channels in the outer needle housings.image.jpg

Yes, Jeff, my pole gaff innoculator's are the cat's meow.

The only thing is they require grease applied at the spring sleeve to keep them retracting properly.

Next set will have grease zirts and channels in the outer needle housings.View attachment 372238

Dumb question,,, why do they need to retract?
Jeff :)

The pic above are in the retracted position Jeff.

However when step down, the inner 3/8ths extend half an inch.

The springs retract that inner needle when I pull my gaff out.

Retracted they're 1 3/4 inches long. Extended they're 2 1/4 long.

Sorta like cat's can extend and retract their claws, see?image.jpg

Just curious what type of footwear you all sport while aloft?

Personally, I wear something like these most of the time....

1000x1000.jpg
I wear approach shoes as well. Straight rock climbing shoes are a bit uncomfortable for some. They force your toe into a point, but you will fly around the tree with them on. Rock shoes.pngThe approach shoes is a good compromise. This type of shoe really facilitates footlocking. One drawback is protection. I believe the ankle needs to be covered for OSHA. Hiking boots are good too but you'll move quicker with an approach shoe.

For me, logger boots are just too cumbersome. Just walking around the ground with them wears me out. If I must wear gaffs, I'll wear a comfortable hiking boot.

Two ways you can quickly improve your speed and confidence in a tree is to wear a form of rock climbing shoe and use a Zigzag.

I've found the perfect ones, working with a new company for 5 weeks now and everyone buys their own boots and all have the same -

Meindl Airstream, chainsaw protective, goretex, waterproof, flexible yet supportive, comfy as runners, exceptionally grippy vibram soles.

They are beautiful boots but pricey, I'll be buying more when they wear out

I've found the perfect ones, working with a new company for 5 weeks now and everyone buys their own boots and all have the same -

Meindl Airstream, chainsaw protective, goretex, waterproof, flexible yet supportive, comfy as runners, exceptionally grippy vibram soles.

They are beautiful boots but pricey, I'll be buying more when they wear out
Please attach a photo or link, as for some of these more sophisticated and colourful styles I prefer PPE even though I'm climbing you can't run the nose of the bar through a safety toe.

One thing I really look for in boots are those heavy-duty speed eyes you can't bend open not even w/pliers.

The whole company except two wear them, they have to be bought from the uk and they're expensive but so so good

Latest posts

Back