Shop Porch Cover addition...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted J

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,
Been a while since I last posted in October, when I started my new job, but I've been trying to stay busy with gettin' things done around the property.

I had a buddy drop off a load of about a dozen pine logs, 6 to 12 inch x 10 foot long, he does landscaping, tree trimming and property clearing.

The continuing saga of the ongoing projects.....
I decide to use some of the logs for post to support the Porch Cover I want to add to the front of the shop.

I cut two 6x6 posts for the front and four 6x4 posts for the rear supports up next to the shop. Yea I know, I bought a 24 foot wood I-Beam instead of cutting my own beam... OH Well!!!

After I got the rafters in (I'm short one) I decided to stain the post with some Penefin Red Cedar Stain. OH, excuse my mess......

5383614503_5b8b63aabc_z.jpg

5383606831_9496b5b94b_z.jpg

5383610035_275137dca1_z.jpg

5383611191_00382c7705_z.jpg

I post pics as I update. Sorry for the poor quality, It was getting late in the day when I took them.

Ted

The purchase of the I-joist is wise! Can you imagine trying to lit the 24' beam up in comparison? And if memory serves me correctly, the I-joist is stronger then the typical pine beam of that lenght....

Looking good. When your finished, time to prop the feet up and have a cold one!

Scott

Looks like it will be nice come summer sun. What is the load rating on the I-beam for 24'?

I told them the specs / conditions when I bought it and that determined the height and constructionof the beam. This one is just over 11 inches high.

The purchase of the I-joist is wise! Can you imagine trying to lit the 24' beam up in comparison? And if memory serves me correctly, the I-joist is stronger then the typical pine beam of that lenght....

Looking good. When your finished, time to prop the feet up and have a cold one!

Scott

When I built the cover in the background I made my own 24 foot beam with laminated 2x12s glued and screwed staggered joints, and I lifted that up 12 foot in the air... with the help of the tractor FEL of course! I didn't want to try that again though.

Ted

I told them the specs / conditions when I bought it and that determined the height and constructionof the beam. This one is just over 11 inches high.

It is amazing what those I-beams can hold. I'm in the south now but most of my building experience came up in Iowa where snow and wind loads are very high. I've also seen the I-beams but never really worked with them. Did more commercial buildings. Looks like your ready for tin. I'm jelous. Wish I had one on the front of my shop.

Ted, shops looking good! The extra shade will be great.

jerry-

The weather was perfect on Sunday to be outside, not too hot at all, around 70 most of the day.

Got a little more done on the shop porch cover, and the evidence the shade provides by the shadow line on the garage door.

Normally at this time while in the shop I would have to pull the door down or be blinded... :msp_blink:

I'm recycling some sheetmetal from a previous lean-to, that was where my mill currently sits on the concrete slab.

I'm liking it so far!!!
Ted

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Is that a GPI65 I beam (11 7/8)? It looks way to light to me to handle any kind of a snow load.. Who sized it? The guy at the lumber yard from the Ibeam joist book? If so you probably need one every 24" not just one to hold the whole shebang up.. and why didn't you set the rafter on top of it? why set them on a ledger board thats nailed to the middle of the I beam..

I looked in my book and couldn't find the simple span chart for that joist. I do know they test them to something like 30,000lbs before they completely fail. I would say he could always add another if he see's a problem or add another post.

I am going to agree with the thought that the "beam" is undersized. I don't think it's a beam at all actually, it looks like an I-joist and the small 1-7/8" one at that. Even if snow load is not a concern and that "beam" would hold the weight of the materials resting on it, there should be ZERO attachments to the web part of it, the rafters should be on top of it. Even in a correctly designed I-joist system, a non I-joist is used as a band to connect the other I-joists. And that is over a bearing beam or wall. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I would send that picture into the manufacturer and ask if what you have there is OK or safe.

Ted,

I joist are normally used as Joists. Here's a link to Georgia-Pacifics web site on I joists:http: //www.gp.com/BUILD/literature.aspx There are pdf's on there of sizing and installation instructions. You might look here guidance.

Is that a GPI65 I beam (11 7/8)? It looks way to light to me to handle any kind of a snow load.. Who sized it? The guy at the lumber yard from the Ibeam joist book? If so you probably need one every 24" not just one to hold the whole shebang up.. and why didn't you set the rafter on top of it? why set them on a ledger board thats nailed to the middle of the I beam..

Yes,the original plan was to set the rafters across the top of the I-beam as they should have. But... after reviewing the height requirement that I wanted under the beam of 7'-6", the pitch of the roof gave me an almost flat roof line, so I adjusted the design....

I added a 2x as a ledger board along the inside on top of the lower part of the beam where the rafters sit and added screws from the top plate into the rafters to keep them in place, as the hand sketch below shows.
attachment.php

I am going to agree with the thought that the "beam" is undersized. I don't think it's a beam at all actually, it looks like an I-joist and the small 1-7/8" one at that. Even if snow load is not a concern and that "beam" would hold the weight of the materials resting on it, there should be ZERO attachments to the web part of it, the rafters should be on top of it. Even in a correctly designed I-joist system, a non I-joist is used as a band to connect the other I-joists. And that is over a bearing beam or wall. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I would send that picture into the manufacturer and ask if what you have there is OK or safe.

No, your not being a "wet blanket".... I can take critisism. If I couldn't I wouldn't post anything. (I had one guy suggest a 2 1/2 inch x 24 foot piece of pipe to rest the rafters on for the span... and he suggested using 2x4's.

It's up there, it's holding, and I had my fat butt up there screwing the sheet metal down last weekend, and yesterday we had 35mph winds most of the day... came home from work and it's still there, I didn't build a kite :msp_lol:.

I'm not building a dance floor up there by any means, like I did on the other cover I built next to the mill. That was a 16x24 deck up there, almost felt like putting some patio furniture up there.

I figure the ledger board I added was almost like adding a flitch plate on a laminated beam.

When I'm finished I'm going to cut a 1x12 oak board and add it to the front face so it looks like an oak beam from the front, which would stiffen it up a little more.

And, if I'm wrong, it'll sag? Then I'll do like Betterbuilt mentioned, offset another post on one side or maybe both sides. We'll see!

Thanks for the replies, comments and suggestions.

Ted

Back