Shop Porch Cover addition...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, your not being a "wet blanket".... I can take critisism. If I couldn't I wouldn't post anything. (I had one guy suggest a 2 1/2 inch x 24 foot piece of pipe to rest the rafters on for the span... and he suggested using 2x4's.

It's up there, it's holding, and I had my fat butt up there screwing the sheet metal down last weekend, and yesterday we had 35mph winds most of the day... came home from work and it's still there, I didn't build a kite :msp_lol:.

I'm not building a dance floor up there by any means, like I did on the other cover I built next to the mill. That was a 16x24 deck up there, almost felt like putting some patio furniture up there.

I figure the ledger board I added was almost like adding a flitch plate on a laminated beam.

When I'm finished I'm going to cut a 1x12 oak board and add it to the front face so it looks like an oak beam from the front, which would stiffen it up a little more.

And, if I'm wrong, it'll sag? Then I'll do like Betterbuilt mentioned, offset another post on one side or maybe both sides. We'll see!

Thanks for the replies, comments and suggestions.

Ted

Thats a good idea with the 1x12 added to the front. If it does start to sag you can jack er up and add a post and you should be fine (I can't quite tell from the pics, but it looks like you have a lil sag already, but it could be camera angle). Some knee braces might help too. Your dead load is probably something like 5-8lbs sq ft, that Ibeam if its the one I think it is, is rated for about 60lbs per foot (on a 24' span), which is right about what I'd guess your dead load is on it, you put some snow up there and its not gonna look pretty. If you cut the span down to 12' the rating goes up to 160+ lbs per foot, which gives a nice big margin for live load.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=1390

http://www.gp.com/build/DocumentViewer.aspx?repository=BP&elementid=4372 (see page 12)

Thats a good idea with the 1x12 added to the front. If it does start to sag you can jack er up and add a post and you should be fine (I can't quite tell from the pics, but it looks like you have a lil sag already, but it could be camera angle). Some knee braces might help too. Your dead load is probably something like 5-8lbs sq ft, that Ibeam if its the one I think it is, is rated for about 60lbs per foot (on a 24' span), which is right about what I'd guess your dead load is on it, you put some snow up there and its not gonna look pretty. If you cut the span down to 12' the rating goes up to 160+ lbs per foot, which gives a nice big margin for live load.
/QUOTE]

The 1/8" thick snow you see in one of the previous pictures is about the most we've had in 3 years, and we had about 1 1/2" about 4 years before that!
(Besides, haven't you heard, we got global warming :blob2:... why do I have to worry 'bout snow?) :msp_rolleyes:
I'm going to try to finish it up this weekend possibly today but the temps outside right now is 30* and the cold coming off that sheetmetal is.... COLD!

Ted

(Besides, haven't you heard, we got global warming :blob2:... why do I have to worry 'bout snow?) :msp_rolleyes:
Unfortunately global warming doesn't mean we're gonna be warm...:msp_rolleyes:

I think it looks just fine, and looks like it's gonna do the job you need done, protecting you from the sun...

Got the rest of the tin and isulation up and screwed down today. All that's left to do is some side caps and the front board cover. I decided to use some 1x13 x10 footer Cypress boards that I milled that have been stacked and stickered since early October.
I'll stain it with the same Red Cedar Penofin stain I did everything else. I tested the stain on a scrap offcut to see... the wood takes stain very well.
attachment.php

Here'a some additional pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I took this pic about 5PM and the shadow line against the garage door shows that it's just what I wanted it to do in addition to keeping the rain to a minimum at the door openings.

Ted

Last edited:
One other thing.
I decided to check to see how level or how much sag in the beam. I measured a little less than 3/8" over the entire 24 foot length at the center. So I figure that when I add the front cover board on I'll jack up the center about one inch and screw those boards on, or something like that. I might just take some 1/2" OSB to it first then the front Cypress boards.

Ted

Just a few more pics while I was thinking about it...
The truck has about 6 to 7 inches clearance right now, after I add the sloped concrete incline from about the drip line I should have about 3-4 inches of clearance pulling the truck in forward or backward. I don't intend on getting the truck into the shop, but as close to the 4 foot level concrete pad in front of the shop. The previous owners had poured a small concrete incline a couple of feet wide but I want it extended to the beam posts.
attachment.php

A view of the other side of the beam:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I decided to use 3 of the 13 inch x 10 foot Cypress boards that I had milled and stickered back in October. Ran them through the planer... just to use the planer, I could have left them rough cut but....
Look in the back right of the pic for where the Cypress is stacked... please excuse the mess... work in progress? :monkey:
attachment.php

Added some Penefin stain.
attachment.php

I only had time to put up two of the boards this weekend.
attachment.php

Later,
Ted

NIce. I've used penofin before as well on redwood and cedar decks it sure is pretty when you apply it to nicely planed or sanded wood, it almost glows afterwards ;).

Latest posts

Back