Short Term Saw Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have occasion to store my saws in my basement/wood shop for periods of time up to a month when I'm not using them. Sometimes they still have oil/gas in them. What seems to be the best way (read: position) to store these things so that they don't either clog up or leak? For a long time I stored my MS390 on its' side with the fuel/oil caps facing up because I thought it leaked, turns out the fuel line was cracked. Now my 025 seems to have a very minor bar oil drip (maybe a drop an hour). I have them temporarily hung on hooks by the top handle, so the bars are horizontal, with cardboard on the floor under them. I need to keep them out of the way, either overhead or hung on the wall or on a shelf. Ideally I'd have a floor-to-ceiling "saw shelf" with three or four shelves for saws, a piece of pegboard for bars and saw chains, and my dedicated chainsaw toolbox on the bottom shelf with a large log and saw vise on the floor. But I don't have room for that.

Hangin' them like you have is fine. Also if you're only storing them for a month between uses... gas/oil in them will be fine. Heck... my saws sit longer than that with gas/oil in them... no probs.

Gary

Hangin' them like you have is fine. Also if you're only storing them for a month between uses... gas/oil in them will be fine. Heck... my saws sit longer than that with gas/oil in them... no probs.

Gary
Yeah, but you use that"special" oil.:hmm3grin2orange:

I leave fuel in most all of mine but try to run them or swap out with fresh fuel every 6 months, but if I miss that mark, 9-12 months don't bother me with the stabilzer in the fuel.

Now as far as storing in the basement, no way would I want any fuel in the basement! Your furnace down there?

Gas fumes drifting up in the house? No I wouldn't have fuel in them if they were stored there.

Latest posts

Back