Should I buy an Echo Bearcat log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new log splitter to do 300 to 400 full cord per year. I have a good source for this machine (LS33340) for $2550 (CAN) + $50 delivery + $100 if I want Quick Split (can set the length the cylader retracts) + tax.

It's a good deal to be sure, but I am afraid it is overpowered, a gas guzzler, and possibly not as reliable as a weaker machine. For example, a Walenstein WX530 can be had for $2330 + tax. The Walenstein would have a 160cc Honda GC while the Echo Bearcat has a 340cc Honda GX.

Crary - Outdoor Power - Log Splitters - Log Splitter

LS33340
Manufacturer Echo Bear Cat
Model Year 2011
Model LS33340
DIMENSIONS
Length 76 in.
Height 39 in.
Width 45 in.
Weight 507 lbs.
ENGINE
Engine Honda GX
Displacement 340 cc
Starter Recoil
Fuel Capacity 1.6 gal.
OPERATIONAL
Capacity Maximum Log Length: 24 in.
Height Adjustment Operating Positions: Horizontal and vertical
Cutting Head Cylinder: 5 x 24 in.
Splitting Force: 33 ton
Working Pressure 16 gpm 2-stage; 14 sec. cycle time
Tires 4.80 - 8

No...because it a trunnion mount cylinder....it will most likely break and it seems kinda high priced.

But you buy whatever you like... its your money.

just realized your in canada so i dont know about price.

Last edited:
No...because it a trunnion mount cylinder....it will most likely break and it seems kinda high priced.

But you buy whatever you like... its your money.

just realized your in canada so i dont know about price.

I don't know what a "trunnion mount cylinder" is, but I'll look it up.

The price is good. I'll give you a basis for comparison. A 27 ton Speeco (TSC) splitter was on sale last week for $1500 (reg $1999) with a 300cc+ Briggs and stratton engine. A 20 ton Wllenstein goes for $2330. In comparison, this seems like a good deal.

That's a heck of a lot of wood. Better be a commercial duty splitter.

It's the biggest and best splitter Echo makes. It used to sell for $3700, but it is reduced now that it is discontinued.

I don't know what a "trunnion mount cylinder" is, but I'll look it up.

The price is good. I'll give you a basis for comparison. A 27 ton Speeco (TSC) splitter was on sale last week for $1500 (reg $1999) with a 300cc+ Briggs and stratton engine. A 20 ton Wllenstein goes for $2330. In comparison, this seems like a good deal.

It's the biggest and best splitter Echo makes. It used to sell for $3700, but it is reduced now that it is discontinued.

Trunnions are just a bad idea in my book.

Its probably discontinued because of trunnion failure....I think youll be better off with the 35 ton speeco.

BTW the tonnage ratings are a gimmick. Theres alot of splitters out there, id do some more looking before you decide

I looked at them, but did not buy for two reasons:
1. I did not like the way the hydraulic cylinder is mounted. Looks like a structural failure waiting to happen.
2. They are high priced here, way more $ than better designed, comparable machines like the Speeco or Northstar.
I am not sure where you got the info about the Bearcat splitter being discontinued. All the Bearcat models of splitters are shown on their website, with no mention of any being discontinued.
Jeff

You're going to want alot faster cycle times for that much wood, even with the stroke limit. I have the tsc 28 ton and like it but it's way slow even for 1 guy. I have a conveyor so I find myself always waiting on the cylinder. I also have a homemade 3 pth vertical splitter that I really like using especially with big stuff. I have a kubota L35 that pumps lots of oil so it's faster. With that much wood you are likely cutting smaller logs so maybe the tsc 35 ton with a 4 way head would work for you. The Wallensteins are good splitters and last a long time. I see a few at auction sales and they usually bring close to new price.

Ziggo 2:

I know the tonnage rating tends to be a gimmick. I've found that a 20 ton Wallenstein is stronger than some wood splitters rated at 25-32 tons.

Mowingman:

The dealer that wants to sell it to me said they are discontinued. He said there are 2 left in Ontario and these must be ordered from London, Ontario (100 miles to the south). He also quoted me a price that is lower then the next model of Bearcat down (the 27 ton with Honda 270cc). Granted, I searched my butt off on the internet to find out why they are discontinued, and couldn't find any information on it. Perhaps they will merely stop importing them to Ontario (??).

I appreciate your feedback, and I might not get the Bearcat. I do find it funny, however, to hear the phrase “better designed” in the same sentence as Speeco. The only time I ever considered a Speeco was when it was dirt cheap. I didn't buy it because, to me, they just seem like structurally weak, poorly built machines using only the cheapest parts.

Cantoo:

With this unit, I need to be feeding the machine every 7 seconds. I'm not aware of any commercially made hydraulic gas splitter that would be faster. I'm reluctant to go kinetic because (1) they haven't been around long enough and don't seem to have proven themselves (2) they actually seem a bit dangerous.

I could buy a Wallenstein for $1395 -- almost half its new price, but this unit has been a rental unit for 4 years. It seems to work fine though. One of my friends recently rented it.

I am looking to buy a new log splitter to do 300 to 400 full cord per year.

Hi Chainsaw:

I'm just curious as to why you aren't considering a firewood processor if you're gonna do 300 to 400 full cords a year. Wouldn't going from logs to finished splits in one operation save a lot of handling? It sounds like you're gonna cut the trees, then buck the logs, then load the rounds, then unload the rounds, then load the rounds on the splitter. Even a relatively inexpensive (around $4000) Twitch N Split should speed things up considerably.
TWITCH-n-SPLIT - YouTube

What are your thoughts?

Don <><

Hi Chainsaw:

I'm just curious as to why you aren't considering a firewood processor if you're gonna do 300 to 400 full cords a year. Wouldn't going from logs to finished splits in one operation save a lot of handling? It sounds like you're gonna cut the trees, then buck the logs, then load the rounds, then unload the rounds, then load the rounds on the splitter. Even a relatively inexpensive (around $4000) Twitch N Split should speed things up considerably.
TWITCH-n-SPLIT - YouTube

What are your thoughts?

Don <><

For the last few years I have been cutting more wood for an hourly wage than for sale through my business. The guy I cut for has a nice firewood processor.

My theory is that I can work faster with a splitter than with the darned processor and make more money doing it "for myself" then for a wage. I used to cut 300-400 cord per year "for myself" to sell. The operation I work(ed) for for a wage produces maybe twice that much, but there are usually two people at it. It involves a tractor, an industrial loader, etc. I just want to keep it simple.

I had to cut the wood into 5 foot lengths and put it onto the forks of the loader to even get it to the processor. I could've had it in 16" by then. I don't handbomb any wood. I scoop it with a fork (a rock bucket).

A true processor opertaion sells the wood green, while my opertaion in the past allows for a drying period. I have had good reviews on my wood, and my wood has a good reputation with buyers.

Ziggo 2:

With this unit, I need to be feeding the machine every 7 seconds. I'm not aware of any commercially made hydraulic gas splitter that would be faster. I'm reluctant to go kinetic because (1) they haven't been around long enough and don't seem to have proven themselves (2) they actually seem a bit dangerous.

I could buy a Wallenstein for $1395 -- almost half its new price, but this unit has been a rental unit for 4 years. It seems to work fine though. One of my friends recently rented it.

In the states most rental shops get rid of equipment every couple years for tax write off purposes. Not because repair/upkeep becomes cost prohibitive. That 4 year old wallenstien is barely broken in. Even if it was used for 8 hrs a day, every day for the last 4 years its still a good machine. And if there might be some components/systems worn out, getting the machine for half price and throwing a pump or motor or cylinder on it is still less than buying it new.

The kinetics are only dangerous of you are extremely dumb...like leaving your hand in the way of the wedge/ram. They are extremely fast in straight stuff and do a pretty good job on the stringy stuff. As far as reliability of design...they've been around for more than 2 decades. If they we're that unreliable or dangerous, Im sure they would be off the market. But with DR and TSC coming out with versions, I'd say Super Split was onto something.

Thanks ponyexpress. The former renatal unit is looking more and more attractive to me.

Dancan. I'm looking to buy not rent. I love Splitfires. The good ones are a little pricy though compared to the other deals I can get.

I'm still bumpin' this though to see if anyone has actually ever used an Echo Bearcat.

I've seen several pieces of thier equipment...not sure I'd say they are up to rental yard standards as that stuff needs to be stout. Used one of thier chippers and while it survived the ordeal, IMO it wouldn't last. More on par with a DR level machine. Built for someone with some acreage but not quite heavy enough to be called commercial duty

Thanks ponyexpress. The former renatal unit is looking more and more attractive to me.

Dancan. I'm looking to buy not rent. I love Splitfires. The good ones are a little pricy though compared to the other deals I can get.

I'm still bumpin' this though to see if anyone has actually ever used an Echo Bearcat.

I was pointing the rentals out meaning they take the use from various users and to check with them if they have any ex-rentals for sale if cost of a new one is an issue .
I'm not doing commercial firewood (yet) but the echo style of splitter is not my first choice .

Chainsaw:
Before you buy, look at the splitfire line of splitters. They split in both directions and most rental companies use them because they're reliable and tough.
I've used one a few times and they're great. Honda gx engines and are roughly the same price as what you're looking at. They're made in Ontario....Good luck!

Crary / Bearcat

Don't know about their splitters, but I have one of their PTO chippers. I can state, without any exaggeration, the only thing their warranty is good for is cleaning up after a successful trip to the throne room, if you catch my drift. (Actually you may not want to.)

Take Care

I'd stay away from the Honda GC engine myself. My splitter came with that engine and it did work well for a while. It was great on gas, not very loud, and seemed to work well. Than after a couple of years, the engine started to vibrate, especially the governor rod and spring. The rod would actually wobble out the hole it was resting in, break the spring and it was never quite the same. The vibration was always present and I could see a never ending problem, so I sold the engine to someone who was taking the governor off anyway and bought a replacement engine. If you do like the splitter with the honda, keep in mind that engine is not near as tough as the bulletproof GX.

Latest posts

Back