Should I buy an OWB or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyb1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Great site here, lots of info. It seems that many are fans of the outside wood burning furnaces. I cannot decide if this is right for me. I just bought a 1600 sqft home on 5 acres in Maryland. The house has no AC, electric baseboard heat and hot water heater. Electric bills in winter expected to be around $800/month. I am going to have ac installed with the ducts running in the attic. I was then going to instal a central boiler and put the heat exchanger in the ac ductwork....that is until I discovered here that the cost of the central boiler would be about $10k. I would think an oil furace would cost about $3k to install with oil for the entire winter costing about $800. I really do like the idea though of free heat and being somewhat off the grid. Any of you faced a similar dilema? Is it worth the extra cost of the OWB??

Not $10K

With 1600 sq/ft you can buy a much smaller OWB, look at the CB5036. If you do a fair amount of the install (rebates right now) you can come in closer to $7K. Take the Arabs oil out of play! Oil won't remain below $2 a gallon so look ahead. At the price my dealer letter sent me for lock-in this Summer ($4.699) your 400 gallons would cost $1,879.60 (now that's a 4 year payback.)

Welcome to AS, everything you ever wanted to know about wood but were afraid to ask.:jester:

IF you can actually heat your house with oil for $800 per year then an OWB might not make financial sense for you. At $2.40 per gallon for fuel oil you would get 334 gallons for your $800. Guessing on a 120 day heating season you would be keeping your house warm with 2.79 gallons per day. That seems a little optimistic to me but if you are right then fuel oil might be the way to go. Lets run some numbers based on you heating usage.

Red Oak on average produces 24 million BTUs per cord and fuel oil produces 138700 BTUs per gallon. At 3 gallons per day, that works out to 416100 BTUs per day required to heat your house. By my calculations a cord of wood will last you 57 days assuming 100% efficiency for both heating fuels. So a little over 2 cord should heat your house for a 120 day heating season if your fuel estimate is correct. Wood goes for $200 per cord for seasoned Red Oak around here so if the prices are the same in your area then I guess wood is cheaper than fuel oil for you.

The problem is that no heating system is 100% efficient so you need to add equipment efficiency calculations into the big picture to see how it all works out for you. What I'm trying to say is that your question's answer depends greatly on what equipment you will be using and what equipment you have and how you intend to come up with the wood to burn.

If you have free wood available and want to cut your own then you will need at least one chainsaw, personal protection equipment, and a truck to haul the wood. If you buy it cut and split then you don't need those things. For myself, the gathering and processing is half the fun of burning wood so I'm happy to invest in tools and equipment that enable me to get regular workouts in the great outdoors all winter long. Since my other option is propane at an estimated cost of $6000 for the season, wood is a good choice for me even though I burn 10-15 cord per year. If you want to go wood there are many OWB comparison threads here that are full of good info from people who use them. Central Boilers Classic and Greenwood Aspen are 2 that seem to be talked about quite a bit here. Do some searches and settle in for a few hours of reading and AS will get you up to speed.

I would kill for a $800 electric bill. My bill last month was $275.00

And that is WITH using my CB6048!!!!

Ohh, I don't have electric heat. :jawdrop:

My house including the garage is about 3000sq feet.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I should have clarified this to begin with....the house is a 1600 square foot rancher with a full basement that I plan on finishing and heating as well....so 3200 square feet total. A friend of mine has a similar home..all electric and his bill is between 800 and 900 per month...so I was assuming mine to be the same.

I would say if you don't mind alot of work gathering and cutting wood and loading the OWB everyday then I would get one. You will be awarded satisfaction of not paying the BIG OIL company and you will save alot of money. I am glad I made the switch.

Where in Md. are you located?

I would have to agree with coppermouse and get a wood stove if you don't want to shell out the 10k for an OWB. there are other options however. I had an OWB for 3 years and hated it. It was freezing cold standing out there tending the fire and my burn times sucked. SO, I sold it and got an INDOOR multi fuel ( wood, coal ) boiler and put it in my garage . It was WAY WAY cheaper than a OWB. I paid around $3,500. It is VERY well made and is ASME stamped.

Or, if you don't want to go the indoor boiler route, you could always get an indoor wood burning furnace and hook to your ductwork that your installing. SOmething like a Clayton or Hot Blast furnace would most likely work great.

But Again, If you are looking to save money and trim down that 800 a month bill, I would go with a good quality wood stove. You will be amazed at the heat the put out...

We love our Taylor 450. Used 50 gallons of propane this winter. Not seeing the gas man come by once a month and leaving us a huge bill has been nice. I figure our furnace will payback in four years.

You better like cutting wood....Looks like we are going to burn around 7 full cords. Have spent a lot of time in the woods, good thing I enjoy it. Good excuse to load the cooler with beer!

My dad bought a pellet insert last fall. Cost them around $100.00 a month to heat 1550. No mess is nice, and the pellet co will deliver a full pallet and unload with a forklift.

Shop around...there are many solutions and a lot of good brands to choose from..

:givebeer:

Last edited:
4.69 for fuel oil? 2.40 for oil? You might as well just go get onroad diesel for that price. Offroad diesel is 1.48 here. 800 dollar electric bills? I never heard such talk. My electric bill was 64 dollars last month. Is there some kind of 500% tax rate out east for energy or what?

I would never suggest a OWB for those who have never before burned wood in a serious manner. They are not a burn when you feel like it devise. The savings part is nice but once a person gets past what I term the "romance time" with a wood burner the minus factors start to make headway. I have never paid for a wood stove in my entire life and I have owned 4-5 of them before I bought my OWB. ALL were freebies from homes tired cut-split-feed-haul ash and repeat, cut-split,,,,, If you hate the gathering part then you will find reason to quit, I dont care if it is 10 cords, or 4.

If you have never burned wood in a serious manner I would suggest the cheap route which is a stove until you check out the minus factors. If you find yourself enjoying the routine then a OWB can provide additional savings at a cost (or benefit as it may be, LOL) of burning more wood.

My electric bill was 64 dollars last month. Is there some kind of 500% tax rate out east for energy or what?

No, but they bend you over and shaft you whether you use it or not.

My natural gas bill for February was $74, only half of it was for gas used, the rest were charges are for the privilege of being hooked up to them. So you're never really off the grid.

And to the original posters question, my answer is no. A woodstove would cost you much less and is passive, no pump required.

I would never suggest a OWB for those who have never before burned wood in a serious manner. They are not a burn when you feel like it devise. The savings part is nice but once a person gets past what I term the "romance time" with a wood burner the minus factors start to make headway. I have never paid for a wood stove in my entire life and I have owned 4-5 of them before I bought my OWB. ALL were freebies from homes tired cut-split-feed-haul ash and repeat, cut-split,,,,, If you hate the gathering part then you will find reason to quit, I dont care if it is 10 cords, or 4.

If you have never burned wood in a serious manner I would suggest the cheap route which is a stove until you check out the minus factors. If you find yourself enjoying the routine then a OWB can provide additional savings at a cost (or benefit as it may be, LOL) of burning more wood.

:agree2:
I strongly agree.

OWB's almost require an obsession for gathering wood.

Owb?

I would say if you don't mind alot of work gathering and cutting wood and loading the OWB everyday then I would get one. You will be awarded satisfaction of not paying the BIG OIL company and you will save alot of money. I am glad I made the switch.

I was the first of my "cohort" to purchase an OWB. The guys let me be the test case this winter. My wife and I were not sure about the purchase but it has turned out to be a good thing for us. I have been asked this question many times this winter and have come to three conclusions:

1. You have to enjoy working with firewood. (cutting, splitting, stacking, etc.
2. You have to have the time to work with the firewood.
3 To really save the $ you should have your own wood.

I am lucky that all three are true in my case.

As an added bonus I can tell my rich, oil company owing cousin, "No Thanks" I don't need any oil this month. :greenchainsaw:

You have been getting good straight talk here. First, does you community allow wood burning? some don't. Beyond that it is a lot of work and dedication to keep the fire going, not to mention the initial expense. A wood burning furance as an add on in you basement would be, imo ,the best start.1500-2000 dollars cost. It will pay back the FIRST year if you put in the work. I've been lucky that as I live on a farm, there's always wood availabe. Never have cut a live tree, never bought wood, but you will neen a good saw (or two or three or...) , a truck and or trailer, and you will want a splitter. You will not NEED one, but trustme, it won't be long. Cutting, splitting and stacking are rewarding work to me, but if you are serious about heating your home with wood, you have to dedicate a lot of effort. I love it, but not all do. Not trying to discourage you, as you can save a ton of money, but it's work. Good luck with whatever you decide....Lanny

I was the first of my "cohort" to purchase an OWB. The guys let me be the test case this winter. My wife and I were not sure about the purchase but it has turned out to be a good thing for us. I have been asked this question many times this winter and have come to three conclusions:

1. You have to enjoy working with firewood. (cutting, splitting, stacking, etc.
2. You have to have the time to work with the firewood.
3 To really save the $ you should have your own wood.

I am lucky that all three are true in my case.

As an added bonus I can tell my rich, oil company owing cousin, "No Thanks" I don't need any oil this month. :greenchainsaw:

1st off why a OWB....rhetorical.
Like they say you better be ready to get a bunch of wood.

On the other hand a stove is not to practicle either.
Most of them you need power to operate them.No power means no blower.No blower means that fireboxes will overheat and warp then split.

If you have ducting and a furnace that is capable of heating the whole home .It can be placed down there ,then a BJ90 would be my suggestion. It can run on just gravity or with power.
I heat 1400 s/f with one here in northern Mn.
I load an armload in the a.m. and again in the p.m. before bed.If it is below 0 I will put a stick in at dinner to maintain a bed of coals.
My BJ90 runs 24/7 all winter long without ever going out.
I can damper it down to get 20 hours and I'm able to keep 60 in my home while I'm away for those far away ice fishing destinations.Normally my home stays at 74.
I've had it for 10 year and have never done a thing to it.
It sell for $1688 plus frieght.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back