Should I buy now or wait-460 Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabberx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking seriously on buying the 460. I have been reading on here that Stihl won't be selling this in the future because of EPA Regulations. That is why I might pull the trigger NOW. Is there any reason that I should wait to see what comes out maybe soon in the future. I have a saw in this power range now, the 385xp but am I crazy for wanting to buy a 460. Should I wait to see what saw is to take its place. How does the 460 stack up to the 385 from you gentlemen's experiences. The bar size would be 24" with a 32" for bigger stuff. That is the setup that I use on the Husky now.

Thanks for your information
Rick

Sounds like another case of CAD to me. I'd get it now, it might take a few years to get back to the same wieght and power as now, if ever. I think in the real world the 460 is quite a bit lighter with a little less power than your 385. Steve

If you can afford it, and have a use for it... whachoo waiting for :D

How soon availability of (insert your favorite old-tech saw here) becomes an issue isn't entirely clear, but the day will come when they are all gone from the shelves.

I picked one up late in 2008 mainly because my side business needed another tax deduction... For 2009, if revenue from that biz looks to be similar, I forecast investing a bunch more in old-school two-stroke junk. $1600 more if a new 880 ends up on the shopping list.

As for the 385XP vs MS460 comparison, I can't say (never ran a 385) but I'd suspect close enough that the one with the sharper chain would pull ahead.

I was in the same boat you are in, I ended up buying a 460. I wanted a bigger saw in the future, and thought that once 2010 comes around and the get a new saw on the market I didnt want to have one of the first ones. I would rather stick with tryed and true technology instead of something just on the market.

If you already have a husky that is compareable, I would get a 660 instead of a 460.

I'm not sure about advertised weight but my 460 with wrap handle and 20in bar weighs 19lbs. my 026 weighs 14 but it sure seems like more than a 5 lb difference after a few hours running both. maybe I'm just a wussie.

If you want a good ms460 I will sell you mine. Bought new Oct 07. Maybe 10-12 tanks a gas. always 93 octane and stihl ultra hp. Dual port muffler cover. Big spike kit/chain catcher.Tuned runs @13,500. 24"ES bar RSC chain, hand filed a few times. Saw is spotless gets waxed and stays in the house. (ya I'm a weirdo).
Around here a new 460 is $840 plus tax. DP cover, big spikes, over $1000
I will sell mine for $750. plus shipping. pm if interested

saw033.jpg

manual,original spike ,muffler,tool kit. Saw kicks ass

saw032.jpg

Last edited:
:agree2:

I've pretty well decided to buy a new saw myself before 2010. I dont need it at this point but I also dont want to end up with one of the first modles with the new engine...... or maybe I'm having a CAD attack :chainsaw:

Wether you go with the 460 or the 660 I think you'll be happy. I dont have any experiance with husky but by the sounds of it the 460 is a little lighter, if youre after power and dont care so much about the weight keep the husky and get the 660. I use my 066 alot more than the 046 just because I prefer the power and am willing to work with the hevier saw for it :)

It's the stratocharged engine like what's on the 441. They're a great running engine with lower fuel consumtion, but they don't respond as well to mods.

Just kind of curious who has tried to mod a 441 all i here is you cant mod them
i remember when Harley had there first new motor in years everybody said
the same stuff.And when fuel injection and computers on cars.

Not to hi jack his thread but someone will figure out how to mod anything.
I was told by mike my stihl dealer that stihl is ahead of everybody in
emisions and are good until 2014 .I dont know if its like the cafe ratings
for cas.

IMO, the 440 would go better with your 385. Plus it's a little more desirable than a 460 which I think is what you're looking for. A collectable?

A 440 or 460? Hell yeah!!:chainsaw:

Better yet do your part to improve the economy, buy both!

I have :)

Heck didn't our President even say yesterday it's your civic duty and we all must do our part...

Float that by the wife and see if it works.

I was told by mike my stihl dealer that stihl is ahead of everybody in
emisions and are good until 2014.

I got ten bucks that says some of the old flavor (non statro) saws will not be phased out by 2010. Just don't think it will actually happen that soon.

Anyone know where to find this 2010 EPA ruling that affects 2 strokes, or better yet what it means?

In the meantime it is sure helping to sell alot of 440s, 460, 372, 7900s, 660s etc. Even helping to sell a few 880s and 3120s (I'm guilty myself...)Clever marketing at a minumum.

Last edited:
In the meantime it is sure helping to sell alot of 440s, 460, 372, 7900s, 660s etc. Even helping to sell a few 880s and 3120s (I'm guilty myself...)Clever marketing at a minumum.

I know for myself I doubt that I will ever NEED a 660, and am not looking at buying one, but if you talk to me next fall and I dont come across a good clean used one and I have the cash I will probly be in the market or a proud owner of one.

I bet once 2010 comes around there wont be any good deals on a used 440, 460, 660, 880 or the equivilent of a husky or dolmar.

Latest posts

Back