should I climb and cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climbing is the easier part, once you start actually working pruning or removing a tree it adds a lot more physically.
Go on some rec. climbs and see how far you can limb walk and if you like it. Most trees to be removed in urban areas can't be done by standing in a crotch close to the trunk and just cutting branches off. Takes alot of energy to set up the rigging, getting in funky positions while cutting and blocking down trunks etc., is pretty fun and an adrenaline rush.

I was thinking that if I tried climbing it would be another one of those teach youself adventures that I tend to go on. I like the idea of getting used to climbing before trying to wield a chainsaw while "in harness" - the thing is I'd rather not even go that route if ultimately I don't get to the point where I can do it safely. Climbing gear looks expensive.

On a toughness scale of 1-10 (1 = a game of chess, 10 = arm wrestling a polar bear for a raw herring) where does climbing rank?

Do you see a lot of guys stopping climbing after 40? Do you see many folks picking it up after 40?

I have climbed on and off for many years but only started getting paid for it when I turnd 40. I turn 44 shortly and I live, eat and breathe climbing. Don't use age or fitness as an excuse, get up that tree!

Been a lot of good advice so far. I can only add that for most people, 1 on 1 training is the fastest and safest way to learn any physical activity. Learn to climb, learn to prune with a handsaw, then learn to use a chainsaw.

Oh and once you climb something decent with a view for miles, that bear will take one look at you and meekly offer you the herring before bolting for the water at top speed.

:cheers:

Starting at 40, Once you get up there, you will wonder why you waited so long!

because fear has new meaning to you.

.... you must put yourself in a position to work best from. and sometime this requires multiple tie in points while doing a tree forced yoga pose.

now picture all this with the wind blowing. lol. tree is swaying all around and sometimes a gust will pinch your cut at the wrong time. who knows then.

..... we are mere mortals yes, but we do what not many other men could. that is what separates us from them. we are better than them, those on the ground.

All of the posts that I read, seem to be right on- You MUST I mean:
YOU MUST learn from the ground first!

Climbing is dangerous- No matter who you are, no matter how good you think you may be, the bottom line is that climbing is DANGEROUS! Now add in the tree- Age isn't really the question- But the forces that have been acting on it are- When climbing you must choose wisely- you must learn what to look for in the trees canopy, around the base of the tree, on other trees around it, etc. Rock climbing is fun- it too is dangerous, but in a different way, and you would be totally stupid to try to run a chainsaw on the side of a rock...

You should obtain the book by Jeff Jepson, Tree Climbers Guide 2nd Edition, Learn to tie all the knots by heart before you begin to climb. Once you begin to climb, don't worry about any other equipment operations until you are comfortable while aloft- When training a new climber a chainsaw is one of the last items they train with in a tree- Same with climbing spikes- You must know how to move around in any tree without spikes first.

Your Just down the road you should contact me if you want to learn, I can show you the "ropes" so to speak- I have many places to practice climbing.

Be careful it's dangerous out there!

:chainsawguy:

Try telling that to a rock climber...and prepare to be laughed at, and ignored.

well to be dead honest rog. i could give a rats ass about what anyone thinks or who they chose to ignore. let alone some mutt clinging to a rock not too far from death doing it for no other reason than it being a good time.

i bet smoking crack is a good time too but i ain't gonna be doing that anytime soon either.

fool's game, rock climbing.

well to be dead honest rog. i could give a rats ass about what anyone thinks or who they chose to ignore. let alone some mutt clinging to a rock not too far from death doing it for no other reason than it being a good time.

i bet smoking crack is a good time too but i ain't gonna be doing that anytime soon either.

lmfao, woooooooooooooooooo! :agree2:

I thought they were the same thing.

1. Both involve rock.
2. Both involve getting high.
3. Both are ludicrously expensive.
4. Both will get you killed if you lose your grip.
:cheers:

G' where's Goochland? I'm in the DC metro area and I have a farm in Hardy County WV. Right next to Lost River State Park. You would be welcome to spend a week end this spring or summer. I'm planning on building a cabin and will be cutting a bunch of pines for logs. I have a couple biggish Oaks to remove in the build area. They're healthy trees with no hazard issues. I'd just throw them, but they are good easy climbs with nice crotches, good learners.

I've been climbing for the best part of 40 years. Not including the time my Mom found me up a tree with her serrated butcher knife trying to cut a limb over my rabbits hutch, when I was 5.

Here's a pic of where I'm building my cabin, If you're interested shoot me a PM, Joe.

crazysummer08127.jpg

I have never met a crack head rock climber but have come across several crack heads doing tree work. Any activity that pushes the mind and body to it's limit earns my respect. Personally the most rewading moments in life have come without a paycheck.

G' where's Goochland? I'm in the DC metro area and I have a farm in Hardy County WV. Right next to Lost River State Park. You would be welcome to spend a week end this spring or summer. I'm planning on building a cabin and will be cutting a bunch of pines for logs. I have a couple biggish Oaks to remove in the build area. They're healthy trees with no hazard issues. I'd just throw them, but they are good easy climbs with nice crotches, good learners.

I've been climbing for the best part of 40 years. Not including the time my Mom found me up a tree with her serrated butcher knife trying to cut a limb over my rabbits hutch, when I was 5.

Here's a pic of where I'm building my cabin, If you're interested shoot me a PM, Joe.

crazysummer08127.jpg

Sounds like fun.

I live here.

attachment.php

So you are paying my ticket over right!?!?!?!

Dead honest !!!!

Honestly , please . Any of you getting RICH out there !! This is a good honest living but there are easier ways to do that . I know I do it for the rush just like you do ! Rock climbing looks dumb to me but you gota admit it would be quite a rush .
I've been climbing trees since a kid . Just incorperated the use of ropes & safety gear ( and a chain saw ) for a buck 6 yrs ago at 40 yrs OLD .

Sorry for the delay in Replying - we had to travel to Wisconsin last week.

Goochland is a very rural county in central virginia half way between Richmond and Charlottesville, most of it is good old backwoods Virginia country with a few VERY rich residents to spice things up a bit. I drive 3 hours north to Dulles once a week to work for 3 days, then work the other two from home.

After reading these replies I am thinking that I need to just sit and absorb information about climbing for a while. I appreciate your offer, when I decide to take the step I'll drop you a note, it would be really good to have someone who knows what they are doing get me started.

Personally, I'd hire someone to do the trees on your property, watch, ask questions and learn. Tree removal is not something you just want to jump into. I could see getting a rope in them and throwing them on your own but piecing one out or trying to do a technical removal on your own without the help of an expert would be foolish.

As far as climbing, go for it. As has been mentioned, start low and slow, go to town with a handsaw but leave the chainsaw on the ground and get to know your knots well.

IMO, it is always best to start out learning from someone with experience to check your knots and what have you and make sure you're not going to kill yourself. That being said, I learn new knots on my own by doing research and perfecting them on the ground before I incorporate them into my work. But I have been climbing for 20 years and I have become pretty intuitive with knots.

I started out working for a tree service and was mentored by someone. However, a lot of what I know and techniques I now use have been self taught. I am 41 and still climb everyday pretty much. I am better than I was when I was younger because I climb and work smarter now.

I contracted a 63 year old man a couple of years back. He did not start climbing until he had already retired from one career and was in is 50's. He worked for himself and even taught climbing at Job Corps for a little while. He was a very proficient climber at 63 and I would have no qualms about hiring him again or recommending him to someone else.

Climbing up is easy. I started by climbing down-- Spelunking in PIT CAVES

First the saw part. Get comfortable but safe with your saw. Work on the ground, know what you and your saw can do. Build safe confidence. Then and only then should you take a power saw in the air. Until then, become amazed at what you can do with a quality hand saw.

I don't have specific recommendations but please find literature on the subject of chainsaw safety, specifically on ladders and in trees. These are written because "accidents" have occurred.

Now the rope and spike part of it. Same deal. Get comfortable. You should be able to do anything in the tree you typically do on the ground. Personnally, I started on Ropes recreational climbing, using prusik knots on foot slings and chest harness while rope was fed out we climbed it. After becoming accustomed to that, it was rappelling into pit caves in south central Indiana. The first one was 185 ft and there was one way out so you needed to know that you could go well beyond 185 ft up before you went down. That was 35 years ago. Now I'm 60 and spike trees as needed.

Always stay in your comfort zone. If something makes you break into a cold sweat or get a sudden easiness, back on the ground, study what and how, improve on your technique or equipment and repeat. Make sure your equipment is your equipment. It's your life so be sure your spikes fit, harnesses etc are all in good condition and above all else have FUN.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd hire someone to do the trees on your property, watch, ask questions and learn. Tree removal is not something you just want to jump into. I could see getting a rope in them and throwing them on your own but piecing one out or trying to do a technical removal on your own without the help of an expert would be foolish.

Tree MD, If you were refering to my offer to Gwilly to visit the cabin and practice on some of my big Oaks I'm taking down, sorry for the confusion. I'm 4th generation of licensed MD tree experts retired, and my cousin who owns the farm next to mine is 4th gen retired also. His brother in law has taken over his business and hangs out with us on the farm. So, my invite was to surround him with knowledge and expertise. If I missed something, no ofense taken, just wanted to clarify, Joe.

Tree MD, If you were refering to my offer to Gwilly to visit the cabin and practice on some of my big Oaks I'm taking down, sorry for the confusion. I'm 4th generation of licensed MD tree experts retired, and my cousin who owns the farm next to mine is 4th gen retired also. His brother in law has taken over his business and hangs out with us on the farm. So, my invite was to surround him with knowledge and expertise. If I missed something, no ofense taken, just wanted to clarify, Joe.

Nope, no reference or thought of your offer at all Joe. Just my run of the mill response when someone asks me about removing their own trees without any hands on experience.

I don't believe it is beyond anyone's ability to learn how climb as long as they have the wherewithal to get up there, regardless of age. I think it is commendable for you to offer your help.

My main point I was trying to get across was doing aerial work with a chainsaw and no experience = bad. Learning to climb with ropes and a handsaw = good. Finding someone with experience to supervise and learn from = very good.

Don't worry about being too old GWilly, get up there and have fun!

:agree2: Some people will cringe when you tell them to start with a hand saw. I remember as a kid my Dad would limb out whole trees with a hand saw. The only chain saws we had were a couple big Disston 2 man saws and a bunch of big Macs. I still have a 42 inch hand saw hanging in the family room that Dad used up trees. That will help build that upper body strength that comes in handy when climbing. Also, very often you wind up with your chainsaw running between you and your ropes, a misshap can come very fast, Joe.

:agree2: The other thing people forget to tell you is that it is a lot more pleasant cutting trees with a handsaw than a chainsaw. For me a chainsaw put's me into 100% work mode and sometimes I find myself at the bottom of the tree (having cut it down), without even having enjoyed the view. When I am hand sawing I tend to look around more and enjoy the climb more. You also can worry a lot less about over cuts or accidentally injuring a tree you are pruning. For a learner climber a chainsaw is a lot more stress. You know when a chainsaw is being a pain to start on the ground. Now imagine that in a tree when every pull of the cord makes your whole world sway like crazy. It also means you can dress lighter - no chaps. When I learned climbing I didn't really know about handsaws, wish I had. Now I even use my zubat for most of my ground cutting. Handsaws are 'da bomb':cheers:

Back