Should I fix this cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PStuffel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This cut was made by the previous homeowner on one of my Live Oaks. It sure is a mess. The cut has to be over a year and a half old. Is there a reason beyond appearance that I should fix this cut? Every time I look at it my OCD starts to kick in.
Thanks.

hi Pstuff,
The cuts seems to be pretty close to the branch bark ridge. Which is where it should be. The ridge occurs right where the branch diameter begins to get larger where the branch attaches to the tree. The real problem with the cut is that it was a "rip cut". When the cut was made it was made in just one cut and the weight of the branch tore bark and wood from the area under the branch. So to sum it up, not much can be done to alleviate the damage already done. Thanks for the post..... Mike

Ouch. Yeah. Not much cleaning up you can do to that cut without approaching "flush cut" territory. Its a tree, it'll do its thing and in a few years you'll never know the difference. :)

Thanks!

Thanks for addressing my question. Not the answer I wanted, But it was the answer I expected.

I got some camo duct tape!!!!!!!!!1http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif
:cheers:

If it were my tree I would fix that. I'm OCD too.

The problem is, and I certainly don't mean to sound insulting, fixing it will take a light touch. You don't want to cut into live tissue that has already started to seal and you don't want to remove or cut into those two adventitous sprouts. As we know, CODIT is strongest in the presence of greenery.

That bad cut can be made to look a lot better by lightly bevelling the sharp edges and smoothing the ragged tears. This will also present the least resistance for formation of callus growth.

Dave

Latest posts

Back