should I get a simington?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or get the large stick of wax, a waxed wheel does take more time to grind a chain though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
That is true. The best part about Gray was being able to fix a rocked chain in one pass. Just have to dress the wheel a couple times for a long chain.

That is true. The best part about Gray was being able to fix a rocked chain in one pass. Just have to dress the wheel a couple times for a long chain.
That's right those are swing arms, I'm used to that pro sharp with the scroll screw.

That's right those are swing arms, I'm used to that pro sharp with the scroll screw.

Yep. That was my biggest complaint with that style. The wheel don't last near as long.

My gray wheels do not have wax ,they do cut cooler than the blue ,but i can convert round to square with the blue also ,just takes lighter taps when grind

I only have the brown wheel and the blue, I just converted a 20" RS to square. One pass with the brown wheel and about three strokes with a file

e54ccc020dff153ac8c4d6869dc6c382.jpg

That's a personal decision I wouldn't trade my pro sharp that's for sure. I don't like the looks of the swing arm design to me it seems flimsy and could give you issues down the road. My big thing is I love how simple the upper silvey design is with mine I have two sliding compentants that are adjustable for wear.

This is kind of a derail ,but ..........
Has anyone sucessfully made or bought ,and used an ABN / CBN wheel for square grinding ? I locate a few posts by using the search feature . But they never went beyond planning to make one .

That's a personal decision I wouldn't trade my pro sharp that's for sure. I don't like the looks of the swing arm design to me it seems flimsy and could give you issues down the road. My big thing is I love how simple the upper silvey design is with mine I have two sliding compentants that are adjustable for wear.

I thought the pro sharp was a swing arm?

This is kind of a derail ,but ..........
Has anyone sucessfully made or bought ,and used an ABN / CBN wheel for square grinding ? I locate a few posts by using the search feature . But they never went beyond planning to make one .
There is no one way to dress a wheel for square ,so a cbn would be tough to do in generic form

I thought someone had a wheel made by cbn. I can't remember now. There was talk about them years back.

Seems like someone was making a wheel to grind square with a round grinder.

I was talking about a CBN wheel a few years ago.
I was gonna get one made. But could get nothing but " no way to get it right"
Soooo......I got a Silvey and a friend has it now. I finish setting up my shop I'll either get one made or when I get a surface grinder I'll make one.

I would like to start dabbling with square ground chain. Not as a regular thing out here, but when cutting clean wood, why not? I have been debating this for several years, and keep lookin' around.

I know they expensive... and should have gotten after it before Silvey shut the door.
Is the Simington workable? Could a novice like me eventually figure it all out?

Does anybody just happen to have something like this that they would part with?

Just asking a few questions here, thanks.

Check out the post I just posted yesterday on Square ground chisel chain vs. round ground chisel chain. The results are all posted but the square ground was faster but only by 8% and it did not feel any faster in the cut compared to the round ground.

What grinder did you end up buying? I was looking at the Simington myself but they are $1,000.

Thanks,

Clint

Back