Should I get this used splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A guy had a splitter sitting in his front yard for a couple months so out of curiousity I stopped and ask if it was for sale. The gentleman said it really wasnt but he might sell it since he quit burning wood....its homemade and very over built, it looks to have a 5 in cylinder w/21 in. stroke, 5.5 hors. tecumseh engine, log table and sits high enough to roll logs from tailgate on to table... it leaks some hydraulic fluid around front of cylinder the guy says but not a bunch, can these be rebuilt if so how hard is it to do or have it done(cost)...he didnt have any gas for it so going back friday to hear it run and split some wood, not sure what size pump it has on it....it has a huge i-beam for the ram....he wants 500.00 for it, do you guys think it would be worth it, supposedly the engine is new but it didnt look new to me.
Ive got a 25 ton Swisher that I use at home but I want this one to use in the woods where I cut, just leave it there all the time..sorry for the long post...me and a neighbor own the Swisher together.

If you go back and try it, if it runs, splits and isn't blowing fluid like an artery, I'd say go for it! If it runs, why not?

:spam:

Doesn't sound like a bad price if it runs, splits and doesn't leak too bad. I sold this one for 600 and had probably 40 calls after it sold.
attachment.php

Hey if it runs and splits OK I'm thinking 500 is good price...

...a new splitter will be over twice that.

I had a cylinder rebuilt 2 years ago on one that I had borrowed from a friend. It was leaking alot out of the front around the ram. It cost me $150

Back