Should I have a damper on my woodstove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psu927

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Burning with a baker double eagle with blower (freestanding unit) and was just wondering if there is any advantage to using a damper in my smoke stack between the stove and chimney? Thanks

I'm not familiar with your stove but modern air tights shouldn't require a damper.
I thought I might need one a few years back but it turns out my stove top thermometer was way off. I put an in flue thermometer and just go by that. I didn't need a damper at all. I can adjust it fine by the air intake. However, I have an old buck stove in my outdoor sauna and I absolutely need it in there. Too many air leaks.
If you're stove is an air tight and is burning to hot and you're having a hard time adjusting it you might first want to check for an air leak such as gaskets around the door or ash clean out.
Good luck. Dan.

I put one in with my new EPA stove for emergency use. If something goes wrong with a door seal etc I want to be able to choke it out.

It stays open for regular use.

using a damper will result in more coals. area around the damper is a turbulation zone which results in more heat coming off that area of the pipe so placing it near the stove will extract more heat from the pipe. damper is good for draft control in case of overfiring
Considering that an EPA stove has a 2ndary air intake that is always open, I cant understand how "airtight" applies & when the flame dies, the open air passage makes for a nice vent to pull room air up the chimni if no OAK but with OAK , it'll still pull outdoor air thru the hot stove when the coals dont need it & cool down the stove
Install the damper, its fun to play with

Back