Should I have my pecan tree removed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired1366

Reaction score
Should I have my pecan tree removed?

I'm a first-time homeowner and am at my wits-end with squirrels ravaging my pecan tree and leaving litter all over my lawn. The litter is very difficult to remove and the acidity from the litter is killing my lawn. I finally resorted to using an old upright vacuum cleaner on my lawn the other day -- and I'm sure my neighbors think I've gone "nuts!" :dizzy:

The tree is healthy, maybe too healthy. I've heard about using a fruit eliminator but it's too late for that as the nuts are ripening now.

Are there other options, short of removing the tree? Can the branches be pruned back to the main forks without harming the tree? I think the term is pollarding...

Thank you for help,
Anna

Last edited:
How do squirrels enter the tree?

If it's by going up the trunk try putting a inverted cone on it to stop them climbing and crown lift the tree.

The squirrels either run up the trunk, jump across from my neighbor's tree, or jump across from my roof. Last year I trimmed the tree back from both my neighbor's tree and my roof line. I have yet to do that this year. Honestly though, I'd rather have a less maintenance-intensive solution...

What about pollarding? From the looks of the tree, I thinks it's been done before. I don't really have a need for the pecans anyways...

I cut a little one down recently here, was my first.

They seem to grow really long and spindly. But mate, the nuts are sweet. That customer was also tired of the possums and mess.

I dont really have any advice other than, it's your yard and if the tree doesn't have a protection order on it it's your call to cut it down if that's what you want.

Maybe plant something the squirrels wont like much and you dont have to clean up under.

If you pollard it, every year you'll have to trim it, probably decay and look pretty ordinary after a while. See if you can get some pics up so we can see the previous cuts etc.

I'd be looking at other trees to replant with, pick a nice one. It's your choice, you live there.

wired1366 said:
Are there other options, short of removing the tree?

Maybe poison it slowly so you can enjoy watching it wither and die over several seasons?

rock salt?
girdle the bark?
copper sulfate?
atrazine?
gasoline?

Hey, here's an idea: Cut down the tree and then kill off the squirrels with rodenticide! Problem solved!

Sorry to be sarcastic, but the idea of deliberately killing, "pollarding," hobbling or otherwise injuring a "too healthy" pecan tree is about as appealing to me as strangling my mother in her sleep with a telephone cord.

I have a 50' tall pecan that was recently struck by lightning and I'm worried sick that I might lose the tree. Different strokes, I guess.

Just remember: You can remove the tree, but you can't put it back in this lifetime. Have fun. :greenchainsaw:

CA

Not only do I agree with the previous two posts, Im confused as to why you dont cherish the food this tree gives you.

Use lime to lower the acidity of the soil for your lawn if you have too, but that tree serves you in more ways than you realize.

Plus Im jelous cause my Hickories are having an off year........

don't kill a perfectly good tree!

purchase an adult air rifle and shoot the squirrels. easy as pie!

or hire an air gunner to shoot for you. I bet local air gunner would do it for free....

if you were local, I'd come over and shoot em for free :D

Latest posts

Back