Should I keep the 029?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings, everyone :). Just signed up here a lil while ago and am happy to found (what looks to be) such a swell site.

Anyway onto the question....

I have 2 stihl saws- an 034 and 029. The 034 works dandy, while the 029 has a scored piston and cyl. head- which is to say, "no workie." Although I could do the repair on the 029 myself, I figured it probably woundn't be worth it to shell out $$ for the replacement parts (seems like a 200% markup becomes acceptable once the word "stihl" gets printed on something).

That said, I was wondering if the 029 shares enough parts with the 034 to make it worth keeping as a donor, or if I'd be better off just selling it for parts. Visually, at least, they don't really appear to have that much in common. I imagine the main goodies I'd be looking for compatability with are the crank- connecting rod-bearings, clutch, oiler system, and,....?

Anybody out there tinker with both these saws and remember anything?? Thanks for reading......

Do you ever sell on ebay? Those 029's are so common that even parts ones sell for a mint on there. It seems like you could make good money selling it for parts, or finding parts on there to rebuild yours for a pretty reasonable price.

The 029 is not a great saw to start out on when learning to fix saws. Its not designed to be taken apart and put back together once it leaves the factory. Lots of crappy screws in bad locations that screw into plastic, not metal.

Hock it on eBay and be amazed at what people will pay for junk

Greetings, everyone :). Just signed up here a lil while ago and am happy to found (what looks to be) such a swell site.

Anyway onto the question....

I have 2 stihl saws- an 034 and 029. The 034 works dandy, while the 029 has a scored piston and cyl. head- which is to say, "no workie." Although I could do the repair on the 029 myself, I figured it probably woundn't be worth it to shell out $$ for the replacement parts (seems like a 200% markup becomes acceptable once the word "stihl" gets printed on something).

That said, I was wondering if the 029 shares enough parts with the 034 to make it worth keeping as a donor, or if I'd be better off just selling it for parts. Visually, at least, they don't really appear to have that much in common. I imagine the main goodies I'd be looking for compatability with are the crank- connecting rod-bearings, clutch, oiler system, and,....?

Anybody out there tinker with both these saws and remember anything?? Thanks for reading......

The is almost nothing in common with the 034... and who's getting the 200% markup?

Hmm, guess the reply I wrote a few days ago didn't go through. Don't see it anywheres :mad:

Regarding the comment on the 029 disassembly, you aren't joking! Think it took me over an hour just to pop the head off. I lost count of all the pieces I had to yank out just to get a look see in there.

As for ebay, yea, I just started selling on there recently as a matter of fact. Since there doesn't seem to be any commonalities with my 034, I should have it on there shortly as soon as I got some pics taken. Once it (hopefully) sells, I'll report back and let ya'll know how it went.

I made the 200% markup comment cuz the price I've paid for parts just seem stratospheric. Dunno if it's my local dealer here sticking it to me or it's just what the things list for. For example, I recently shelled over $14 for just a lousy bushing (annual buffer) on the 029, and got a quote of $50 on an OEM 20" bar (I found a comparable Oregon one for $20).

Anyway, thank you all for the great (and fast) replies. Wouldn't have known what to do without the help.

By the way, although most of you might've guessed already, the scored cylinder bore and piston on the 029 was caused by some maroon running straight gas in the saw (no it wasn't me!). Noticed it when I drained the tank. Too bad Stihl didn't throw a cylinder liner of some kind in there. Might've made it worth saving.

Back