should i raise the price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
The power company doesn't care that I am poor. If I cant pay the bill it gets shut off.
The heating oil company is the same way. Pay your bill or no heating oil.
The gas station down the street doesn't care if I am poor. Pay the price on the pump or you walk.
The grocery store doesn't care if I am poor, pay full price for your food or you go hungry.

So why should I the firewood man, who barley makes anything be the only one giving a discount?
Two things that never change, it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
So why do these people wait till it gets cold then scramble for wood at the last min and then have the nerve to ask for a discount?
:rock::clap::rock::clap:

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
No discounts this year, full price or you walk.
Partly because I have a limited supply this year, and I'm tired of being the nice guy.
Being a nice guy is fine, but it doesn't pay the bills.

No one is giving me a discount because I'm a nice guy.
Being the nice guy only cost me money.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
i started this thread saying i was going to raise the price a measley 5 bucks. and i am. but.. i have a guy that bought a bunch of those bins last year. i do know that him and wife and family don't have much.they both work and i can tell they work hard.they load a bin in the back of an old chevy blazer that sounds like it's on it's last breath. so when he called i told him $60. he said ok but when we loaded it and he gave me 60 i told him still 55 since he bought so much last year. i know i'm a sucker but i felt good.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My wood sales are by appointment only and I tell everyone what the price is before they drive out, and still some will show up
knowing the price and then say I only have this much and expect me to give a discount.
I am poor, so I feel there pain, but I will stay poor if I don't stick to my price.
The problem with wood is the price has not kept up with inflation.
People still want wood at yesterdays prices.
I drive a 20 year old truck and live in a 40 year old trailer. So when people show up in there new trucks
I don't feel sorry for them, there doing better then I am. So why should they get a discount?

If someone buys a cord and are 5 dollars short, I'll sell them the wood. 5 dollars aint gonna break me.
I only went up 20 dollars a cord so it's not a big increase. I could go up even more but I do have to try to keep my price competitive with a few local sellers.

A guy called and wanted a cord, and asked for price.
He said he could get it cheaper at another place.
But he would spend more then the difference driving out there to pick that cheaper wood.
So with the time and gas he spent driving out there, he could have just bought my wood and still saved some money.
People don't think about that and they should.

People like that are the ones that drive 10 miles out of there way to save 2 cence on a gallon of gas.
My truck only holds 25 gallons 0.02 x 25 = 0.50 per tank.
Why drive out of the way to save 50 cence.