Should I stake this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownNJ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Its a thundercloud plum, 2.5 inch diameter trunk, 14' tall. Planted sort of a low area, so not expecting super strong wind there, but you never know. Its been in the ground a month so far, and hasn't leaned at all, but there hasn't been much wind.

If I stake it should I use 3 stakes or 2?

Where can I find that flat rope like stuff landscapers use for tying trees to stakes? Talking about the stuff that sort of has the look of a really skinny dog leash.

Thanks!

If I can get away with not staking a tree I will. If you say it hasn't moved in a month then it is probably ok without staking. What is your soil like? If it is a heavy clay you might consider staking. It takes longer for the roots to take hold in this type of soil, and when it gets wet the root ball will tend to move. If you do decide to stake two stakes should be enough and place them in the direction of the prevailing winds. As far as tying material old pantyhose works pretty well and it wont damage the trunk.

if properly planted, it should not need staking
from the picture, I don't think it does
It does look like the base of the tree has a hook or bend to it, can't rightly tell

make sure your mulch isn't too high and extend the mulch bed out from the tree in the coming years

How much did you pay for the tree? If it was expensive, you might stake it loosely. If it was a cheapy, don't worry about it.

Just keep an eye on it. We should be on the later end of the stormy windy season (assuming your weather is similar to Ky). Watch how it acts when the wind blows.

Also, go out and push against it a little. Watch the root ball and see if it moves. If the tree stays put while you push on it a little you're good to go.

I just had to restake a young tree I planted last year because the root ball was moving in the soil.

Yes stake it for at least 2 years.

Use three stakes at at 120 degrees apart. You can find the rubber tree ties at home depot or you can make your own from old bicycle tubes or tires.

Use three stakes at at 120 degrees apart. You can find the rubber tree ties at home depot or you can make your own from old bicycle tubes or tires.

I'm with the others, I wouldn't stake it unless it shows a need to BE staked. Take your hand and push the trunk back and forth in several directions. If it's not moving, don't stake it.

Further, I don't believe I would ever stake a tree for two years. That's not healthy for a tree.

Don't Stake

Do not stake it...I repeat...do not stake it. If by chance it should need staking you could do so at that time.

ok thanks for the tips. My soil is relatively sandy, so hopefully roots will take fast. I wont stake for now I and I will cross my fingers that it won't get toppled in the first rough storm. It doesnt seem very toip heavy, the upper branches are real small, so hopefully it will be ok.

THanks

Latest posts

Back