Should I start a business????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Dogs can learn New Tricks

swyman, a few years ago I decided to become a tree climber for fun and profit. After a disastrous start on my own, I got a job with a local tree service as a ground man. I never hid my ambitions to climb and was fortunate to be picked as rope man for a highly skilled and experienced climber.

After a year and a half the climber and myself started taking our own work, and in another six months the owner of the established tree service dropped dead (he was 75) and we were set free.

The climber and I have amicably parted business ways, and I am now the sole owner, and chief climber, for my own very successful tree service business. I was lucky, I found an excellent Mentor to teach me the business of climbing trees.

There's far more to learn than just the mechanics of safely climbing trees, and that knowledge is even harder to come by. Plan to study hard on the arboriculture of living trees, as well as prudent handling of dead ones.

swyman, a few years ago I decided to become a tree climber for fun and profit. After a disastrous start on my own, I got a job with a local tree service as a ground man. I never hid my ambitions to climb and was fortunate to be picked as rope man for a highly skilled and experienced climber.

After a year and a half the climber and myself started taking our own work, and in another six months the owner of the established tree service dropped dead (he was 75) and we were set free.

The climber and I have amicably parted business ways, and I am now the sole owner, and chief climber, for my own very successful tree service business. I was lucky, I found an excellent Mentor to teach me the business of climbing trees.

There's far more to learn than just the mechanics of safely climbing trees, and that knowledge is even harder to come by. Plan to study hard on the arboriculture of living trees, as well as prudent handling of dead ones.
good reply, congrats on the good business approach, but I have to throw this out.
Got a question for you aerial arborist. are you a certified arborist? if not, why are you claiming to be one? nothing wrong with just being a climber. calling oneself an arborist on here is sketchy though. IMO, and from a legal standpoint, you are a certified arborist, or a treeclimber. semantics, for sure. food for thought.

I'm not claiming to be a certified arborist, arborist is not even in my computer's dictionary.

I claim to be a tree surgeon, mostly amputations. :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm not claiming to be a certified arborist, arborist is not even in my computer's dictionary.

I hear ya.....:D

I'm not certified, either, though certainly certifiable.......:hmm3grin2orange:

just wanted to point that out. plus I like stirring it up.
parachute rigger, huh? cool....:cheers:

You make no sense! Are you a joker? How did you find the word 'arborist' without looking on your computer dictionary?
BTW, I am an arborist.
Jeff :D

From Wikipedia:

An arborist, or (less commonly) arboriculturalist, is a professional in the practice of arboriculture, which is the cultivation, management, and study of individual trees, shrubs, vines, and other perennial woody plants.

If you fit in that description than you are an arborist whether you are cerified or not. I had planned to get my certification a couple of years back but have real problems with some of the ISA's newer policies and requirements. I do however prune according to their guidelines. What I don't need is to be told how to be ethical. I find that insulting.

I get a kick out of that as-well. There are several company's here that claim Arborist, one even has it in their name, A-1 Arborist, but they top trees!

Certified Arborists

Around here most of the certified arborists work for the power companies. They hack "L" shaped sections out of the parts of the tree that are near the wires.

Around here most certified arborists never get off the ground... Had one call last month looking for a job. Said he was a certified arborist but was trying to learn how to climb...

Paper training for new Arborists

Around here most certified arborists never get off the ground... Had one call last month looking for a job. Said he was a certified arborist but was trying to learn how to climb...

Well yes, there are plenty of paper trained arborists who would piddle all over themselves if they actually had to climb a tree. The closest most of them get is in the bucket of a power company truck.

Not that I am denigrating the profession of "Arborist", but if you can't climb a tree you don't deserve to call yourself one.

Arborist at work: (I believe it's Jeff)

P6240026.jpg

Last edited:
You should do your homework. Jeff climbed for many years before he went into managment... Since the early 70's I believe...

Latest posts

Back