Should I wait to split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be all that worried if it's for 09-10. I'll usually cut and leave maple round (too size) over the winter and then split it in April for the upsoming season. That's just me though. Birch on the other hand , I split as soon as possible. :cheers:

I don't think it's a matter of light. I just like my firewood.

I don't suppose you know of anywhere I can go on the Internet to hang out and discuss firewood with other likeminded folks? :)

You aren't emotionally attached to your firewood are you woodbooga?:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Depends on ambition. Split now and it is done, so you can split more later... or...........split later and have more to split later as well.

Quick question;
With the normal humidity experienced in the Northeastern PA area, without the use of a kiln, can you over dry wood?
Just curious (Sounds like a stupid question to me, but I know this group will carry the answer)

You will have to get someone else to verify that; it runs contrary to my experience.:)

Well, I may have ran across this piece of info in one of those guides in the Stickies of Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment Dept.....
I'll try to look for the right place
(So at least I could say "HE was wrong" :monkey: )

SA

Well, I may have ran across this piece of info in one of those guides in the Stickies of Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment Dept.....
I'll try to look for the right place
(So at least I could say "HE was wrong" :monkey: )

SA

If you take three sticks of fresh cut wood, say 6 inches in diameter and 16" long,
Split one centrally end to end, cut one into two eight inch long rounds and leave the third round, but remove bark, which wood will lose the greater percentage moisture in a given time?

Will all species react the same? I am sure that if you went to extremes and cut the pieces into one inch lengths you could skew the results

Back