Should the fuelfilter for the 026 be standing up in the fuel tank or should it lay on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible someone used the wrong gas line for the saw. I've seen that done a few times. Though it fit, the tank placement was not good.
A gas line is not much and not that bad to fix on the 026.

where is the serial number located?

found this on ebay

026 After Serial # X36453619

Note: The Stihl 024 & 026 model chainsaws used 2 different fuel hoses depending on date of manufacture. This hose is used on the later (newer) models. The early models use a straight fuel hose. They are NOT interchangable!!

Last edited:

found this on ebay

Note: The Stihl 024 & 026 model chainsaws used 2 different fuel hoses depending on date of manufacture. This hose is used on the later (newer) models. The early models use a straight fuel hose. They are NOT interchangable!!

Serial number is on the clutch side of the case, up top, by the muffler. IIRC my 026's where older and had a straight hose.

fix it so it works even though it is the wrong one

How to fix

Heat shrink is an electrical tubing the shrinks when heated. It ussualy shrinks to half its starting diameter but there are some that shrink to a third.
When it cools it holds its shape.

Work out which way the tube needs to bend to keep the filter on the bottom of the tank.
Remove the filter and the tube.
Slip some heat shrink over the fuel line bend it the way it needs to be shaped, Heat it until it has shrunk to the size of the fuel line.
Let the shrink cool while keeping it bent the right way.
Install the filter

Tadah.........fixed
I just happen to have plenty if heat shrink in the work shop, you may not:msp_biggrin:

I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Heat srinks has a glue inside, you will see it squish out and seal a wire. If some of that gets inside the line upstream of the filter the next place it will end up is under the metering needle.

found this on ebay

I just came across this issue. Yes, there are 2 different fuel hoses for the 026. The earlier 026 uses a shorter straight fuel hose which makes the fuel filter look like it is standing strand up in the tank. Newer 026 and MS260 use a "S" shaped fuel hose causing the fuel filter to lay in the bottom of the tank. And officially they are not interchangeable because the size of the holes in the tank where the fuel hose goes through are different. After further investigation I found the older style uses a smaller hole, so I was thinking about drilling it to use the newer style fuel hose. However, I never compared the inside of the fuel tanks to see if there where any other issues. Let me know if you try this because after my comparison the newer style looks like it would work better.

Note: I opted to keep my 026 factory and used the older style.

How to fix

Heat shrink is an electrical tubing the shrinks when heated. It ussualy shrinks to half its starting diameter but there are some that shrink to a third.
When it cools it holds its shape.

Work out which way the tube needs to bend to keep the filter on the bottom of the tank.
Remove the filter and the tube.
Slip some heat shrink over the fuel line bend it the way it needs to be shaped, Heat it until it has shrunk to the size of the fuel line.
Let the shrink cool while keeping it bent the right way.
Install the filter

Tadah.........fixed
I just happen to have plenty if heat shrink in the work shop, you may not:msp_biggrin:

I like this idea. Just one question though. How does the heat shrink tubing stand up to the oil and gas it may be exposed to . Have you done any testing by letting it soak in either one and then checked it to see if it has deterioted? Just curious.

I just came across this issue. Yes, there are 2 different fuel hoses for the 026. The earlier 026 uses a shorter straight fuel hose which makes the fuel filter look like it is standing strand up in the tank. Newer 026 and MS260 use a "S" shaped fuel hose causing the fuel filter to lay in the bottom of the tank. And officially they are not interchangeable because the size of the holes in the tank where the fuel hose goes through are different. After further investigation I found the older style uses a smaller hole, so I was thinking about drilling it to use the newer style fuel hose. However, I never compared the inside of the fuel tanks to see if there where any other issues. Let me know if you try this because after my comparison the newer style looks like it would work better.

Note: I opted to keep my 026 factory and used the older style.

Same thing I found with mine . It works with the straight fuel line.

re heat shrink

You can buy it without the glue inside.

Slip it on heat it up bent it so it lays flat but does not kink or flatten the fuel line.

I have done this a few times now with out any drama, I have always used the black that is 2:1 shrink ratio

Heat-shrink tubing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heat-shrink tubing is manufactured from a thermoplastic material such as polyolefin, fluoropolymer (such as FEP, PTFE or Kynar), PVC, neoprene, silicone elastomer or Viton.

PTFE (fluoropolymer) tubes have a wide operating temperature range (-55 to 175 °C), a low coefficient of friction, and high resistance to chemicals and punctures.[2]
Viton, another fluoropolymer with high chemical resistance, is widely used in hydraulic equipment. It is highly flexible, with a very high operating temperature of -55 to 220 °C, making it suitable for protecting sensitive devices against heat.[2]
Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) tubes are intended for high temperature applications.[citation needed]
Fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) is a lower-cost alternative to PTFE.[citation needed]
Elastomeric tubes maintain high flexibility even at low temperatures, and meet stringent internation specifications. Their operating temperature range is -75 to 150°C. The material is resistant to many chemicals (including diesel and petrol) and has good resistance to abrasion, even in severe environmental conditions. Common shrink ratio is 2:1.[2]
Silicone rubber offers excellent resistance to scrape abrasion and high flexibility.[citation needed]
Polyolefin tubes, the most common kind, have maximum continuous use temperature from -55 to 135 °C, and are used by the military, aerospace and railway industries. They are flexible and fast-shrinking, and manufactured in a wide range of colors (including clear), which can be used for color-coding of wires. With exception of black, they tend to have lower resistance to ultraviolet light; only black is suggested for outdoor applications. Common shrink ratio is 2:1, while high-grade polyolefin heat shrink is available in 3:1.[2]
PVC tubes are available in several colors, and can be used outdoors.[citation needed]
Other special materials exist, offering qualities such as resistance to diesel and aviation fuels, or woven fabric for increased abrasion resistance in harsh environments.

Back