Should you??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh hear we go again. Some manufacturers recommend it, it doesn't seem to have much affect. My dad does, I currently don't, but I am going to get a little oil pan and set up a station. If you want to, do it, it can't hurt, after all it is moving steel.

Do you clean them in any way, or just use them until you can't no more?

I just use them till they don't work anymore (at this point they are just worn out from being sharpened so many times and/or they hit a nail or something and are damaged).

I read a article some where that said the stuff on new chains was a preservative, not a lubricant. When it was time for a new chain, I cleaned it in kerosene and soaked it overnight in oil. Seemed like it stretched less in the first tank or two. I don't see the need for it otherwise.

I read a article some where that said the stuff on new chains was a preservative, not a lubricant. When it was time for a new chain, I cleaned it in kerosene and soaked it overnight in oil. Seemed like it stretched less in the first tank or two. I don't see the need for it otherwise.

Not to say that isnt what you read, but what needs preserving??? Is steel decomposing that quick?

Only time I've ever cleaned a chain with solvent, etc., was one time when I dropped one onto the ground, sandy ground. It was a mess trying to get it thoroughly cleaned out. Then I oiled it. And even though I then let the chain hang and drip off, it was still messy the first time I used it on the saw. Never have done it other than that. Don't notice any problems with any chains that would be mitigated by oiling them that way. No abnormal wear, etc., so I don't bother.

Last edited:
i dont see how soaking it in oil will increase the life unless it gets dull slower by soaking. If not then by the time the chain is weak or brittle ill have sharpened it enough times and it will be on its way to the recycle yard.

Latest posts

Back