Show off your crummys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you use the racks on top for? That saw with the extra long bar?

So far, not much. Lumber, ladders, the usual stuff. They came with the canopy...no extra charge. If I fall prey to the Kayak Disease they might be a good starting place for a tie-down system.

The saw with the extra long bar rides inside.

So far, not much. Lumber, ladders, the usual stuff. They came with the canopy...no extra charge. If I fall prey to the Kayak Disease they might be a good starting place for a tie-down system.

The saw with the extra long bar rides inside.

Bob, you need to find a way to mount it to the hood, b/c out the front for an awesome way to get through some pesky rush hour traffic

A hooktender, who was the only currently licensed driver on the crew, said that he found that cars pulled out of his way once the front bumper on the crummy was knocked into a cattywampus position. He claimed not much tailgating was needed to get the tourists to pull over. They had a dirty white, except the tailgate was blue, Ford crew sized pickup. The pickup bed was piled high with rigging and stuff. It was a classic crummy. I have a picture of it in the ditch, but I swore never to post that picture on the internet.

I am sad to say that an unlicensed chokersetter took the rig one morning--guess he needed something from town, took a curve at too high of a speed, flew off into a plantation and totalled it. He walked away. A good thing. There were warrants out for his arrest. The crummy owner was quite sad. He said it had survived a trip over the edge of a road with no driver. They watched it avoid the stumps and come to a rest. They pulled it back up on the road with their logging equipment.

A wrecker took it away to the wrecking yard...R.I.P.

A hooktender, who was the only currently licensed driver on the crew, said that he found that cars pulled out of his way once the front bumper on the crummy was knocked into a cattywampus position. He claimed not much tailgating was needed to get the tourists to pull over. They had a dirty white, except the tailgate was blue, Ford crew sized pickup. The pickup bed was piled high with rigging and stuff. It was a classic crummy. I have a picture of it in the ditch, but I swore never to post that picture on the internet.

I am sad to say that an unlicensed chokersetter took the rig one morning--guess he needed something from town, took a curve at too high of a speed, flew off into a plantation and totalled it. He walked away. A good thing. There were warrants out for his arrest. The crummy owner was quite sad. He said it had survived a trip over the edge of a road with no driver. They watched it avoid the stumps and come to a rest. They pulled it back up on the road with their logging equipment.

A wrecker took it away to the wrecking yard...R.I.P.

I can definitely see people scurrying away like scared midevil villagers when some Mad Max looking road bomb rolls up behind them

Well after a few weeks of being down. The heart of the 79 f250 is done!!! Ill put a pic of two of the whole truck when its put back together.
attachment.php

no offense to those of you who haul their saws like the one above.. but it just doesnt make any sense
why not just put it in the bed, with a scabbard on, and bungie it to a tiedown? or put an old peice of 2x10 across the bed sideways, and load all your saws between that and the tailgate ? i dont understand having the saw sticking up in the air like that on display for everyone to see. and hauling around a log to stick it in ? :dizzy:
to each his own i guess

Just catching up on this thread. I like the saws on display. I live just outside of a very anti-logging town and I'm very proud of what I do. Hopefully reminds the culls that the roof over their head didn't magically appear. Kinda like hamburger don't come from the shelf at wal-mart.

Also, saws in the bed take up a lot of space, and it's usually me and falling pard with a week's worth of coolers, gear, gas jugs, etc. heading out for the duration. One tight packed rig. Saw rack minimizes space the saws take up and keeps them secure on our ####ty logging roads.

As you said, to each their own. This has always worked well for me in my application.

Have a good weekend all - Sam

100_3751.jpg

100_3759.jpg

Couple pics of my 1971 IHC 1210 4-Door 4WD pickup with some 'period' McCullochs on the hood. "Old School" crummy. 392 V8. T-34 Fuller/IHC O/D five speed manual. Closed knuckle D44HD front. D60FF rear. 3.73/1 Gears. Turning radius of an ocean liner. Tough as nails. The white '67 Scout 800 and the orange '74 Scout II are just visible in the background. I've got some more pics burried somewhere.

Last edited:
Here's the rig that I've done most of my firewood runs with...

100_0618.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_0592.jpg

1986 F250HD 4WD Supercab Pickup. 6.9L IHC Diesel. Aftermarket Turbo. C6 Auto. D50TTB Front. 10.25"FF rear. 4.10 Gears. Engine died on the way to the 2011 PNW GTG....

100_2156.jpg

Here it is after a cutting session. Most of the wood had already been off-loaded. Decided to stage a quick pic with the Homelites. No modern saws on this run! Doesn't AT ALL look gay with THAT 'topper' on it. Scouts on the right. Hey Jeff................that's your Homelite C-5 on the left. Wearing the 'paintless' starter as I didn't want to scuff up the nice one I put back on the saw for you. My 'avatar' C-5 is next to it, wearing the B/C that you have now. My C-5 now wears that NOS 21" Oregon hardnose. $3 salvage yard Craftsman axe crossed over the XL12. That truck took me to into some rough country, and brought me back out with a truckfull of oak.

000_0072.jpg

000_0074.jpg

100_0625.jpg

1974 IHC Scout II. 304 V8. T19 Four Speed. D20 TC. D44 Front and Rear with 3.50/1 Gears. Rescued it from a LONG sleep. Replaced the camshaft and lifters (#7 ex lobe was COMPLETELY flat). Replaced the carb. Rewired most of the rig. Redid the charging system. Replaced the radiator. Took it to the snow, wheeled sections of the Pelegrin Jeep Trail. Got over 15mpg on a 600 mile road trip with the family. Drove it over Donner Pass during the worst snowstorm that Reno had seen in 20 years. Put over 12K on it over an 18 month period. It'll be getting a body tub swap from a parts rig, as this poor thing is ROTTED out.

rwoods, those look good. Real rugged. I like the red one. Only problem is...a crummy needs a top speed of over 90 mph to get the crew down the hill on a Friday night payday. :D

Real steep hill and neutral otherwise 45 mph is probably max. Forest service and TVA are the only ones I remember using the old Powerwagons. I've never actually seen a bus but there are lots of pictures of them from out your way. Ron

Looked like a Dallas Cowboys sticker on the Taco......sure that ain't yours Tex?...:pumpkin2:

...........I'm an ass hole, I know.:jester:

LOL, the only football team I watch is these guys
Texas.jpg

I'd rather chew nails and watch paint dry than watch the Dallas Cowboys.

Latest posts

Back