Show off your crummys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the Renault, check out the seat covers :laugh:
It has actually worked out better than expected, although the ground clearence is a bit worrying, it's not as bad as it seems to be in the picture though. The steel skid plate isn't there for looks only
DSC_0031_zpsf4e8de48.jpg

So I've tried a few different crummys and they all get the job done, seems like the dirt and the smell sticks to the crummy, be it a truck, van or car...

We also have a Renault Kangoo. 270 000 kms and still going fine. We did, 3 years ago, break the engine on a stone (Tough steep logging road where we needed speed to get to the top). My brother had 2 4X4 kangoos. They did pretty well on logging roads but he had too many mechanical problems with the rear transmission. He ended up selling both.

We also have a Renault Kangoo. 270 000 kms and still going fine. We did, 3 years ago, break the engine on a stone (Tough steep logging road where we needed speed to get to the top). My brother had 2 4X4 kangoos. They did pretty well on logging roads but he had too many mechanical problems with the rear transmission. He ended up selling both.

Geeze. Another Sebastian Loeb here. 2CV = French jeep.

Here's some old pictures from the early 90's I think. My dads Blazer and parts of his crew.

That thing's cherry... and more than one color... and the glass is all there... and there's a shiny thing on the back... and like Bob said, no dents. If that thing did crummy time, it was softer than any crummy time I ever saw!

I don't think that thing has been to the woods. There's no big U-shaped dent on top of the tailgate from backing into a tree with the tailgate down. :laugh:

I think it's a re-paint job too 'cause there's no snoose stains down the side.

No coat hanger for a radio antenna...no puddles of oil underneath, no coolant dripping from the radiator...definitely not one of ours.

I got an ex crummy, anybody here ever use it when it was in action?

Nope that ball cap visor thingy would have been left in the ditch somewhere, it would have a definite pull to the left... and most of the parts under the hood would be held on by molly hogans... or just welded in

Is the carpet intact on the drivers side?

At that age, the front bumper should be skewed and maybe wired on. The side panels should have that dent you get from driving over stumps and rocks, and a running board? I don't think so. Is there rubber on the pedals?

Nope that ball cap visor thingy would have been left in the ditch somewhere, it would have a definite pull to the left... and most of the parts under the hood would be held on by molly hogans... or just welded in

Is the carpet intact on the drivers side?

The carpet was preserved by 1 1/2 inches of silt.:msp_w00t: I bought this truck in '08 from C F Laughlin Logging Company out of Yamhill, Oregon. It was the owner's personal truck for 10 years and was put into official crummy duty from '01 till '06. It sat for 2 years and I bought it in the beginning of '08 off of Autotrader.com and had it shipped to 'Jersey. I simply could not find a single rear wheel crew cab 4x4 diesel 5 speed any where near me and didn't want to start doing conversions. It came with the ATS turbo as well so it could very well have won a crummy race or two in its hey day.:rock:

My wallet tells me it was a crummy. New engine,clutch, rebuilt turbo, trans. Basically everything under the hood has been replaced except the air conditioning and that doesn't work, go figure:dizzy: I am on oilburners.net also and guys there remember the truck when Laughlin was using it. One guy remembers a Bowman Sky car in the back of the truck as it cruised through town like it was no big deal, no wonder it came with air bags. The rear right hand side of the bed took a hit and the tailgate doesn't quite shut like it should. The radiator support has extra metal welded to it for reinforcing. The truck's saving grace is the fact that it has very little rust. NOBODY around here even knows what a "Crummy" means.

I don't think that thing has been to the woods. There's no big U-shaped dent on top of the tailgate from backing into a tree with the tailgate down. :laugh:

That would be unacceptable and embarrassing. I wouldn't let a gate like that hang around long enough for ANYONE to see.

The rest of the stuff is pretty darn funny.:laugh: On the flip side of the coin, its sad to realize that these trucks are basically regarded as a disposable tool. I'd never have the $58,000 that my truck would cost to buy new in today's market, this ol' crummy will have to do.:msp_thumbup:

That would be unacceptable and embarrassing. I wouldn't let a gate like that hang around long enough for ANYONE to see.

The rest of the stuff is pretty darn funny.:laugh: On the flip side of the coin, its sad to realize that these trucks are basically regarded as a disposable tool. I'd never have the $58,000 that my truck would cost to buy new in today's market, this ol' crummy will have to do.:msp_thumbup:

I think it's great. Just like the guys that rebuild and restore the old Macs and Homies. You're keeping part of our logging heritage alive by restoring a genuine crummy. And you're right...we use them up, write them off, and go get another one.

Your description of what it was like when you got it helped me make up my mind...that thing is genuine.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention Homelites. Guess I'm stuck in the 80's:hmm3grin2orange: My truck is here by named "The Crummy" as it has authenticity from Gologit.:rock: I'm betting its the only crummy in my area.;)

Bittersweet Day.

After 20 1/2 years, today was probably the last wood cutting day for the Landcruiser as I have given in to the pressures of town life and bought a new to me vehicle. I post only because Bob has granted it crummy status. The dealer validated crummy status when he refused to take it as a trade in. Wife says it or my pickup has to go. Right now it looks like I'll keep the pickup. :cry: Ron

Today's best view:

attachment.php

Next to some ugly stumps I flush cut today (Only second one is mine; trying to learn to do Humbolts - I'm not doing so hot. Note the uprooted one. The tree pulled over as I was getting a good tension on the rope - I believe the old Toyota was just showing off one last time. Oh, don't scratch your head too hard over the stumps, they have been spun.)

attachment.php

Pickup:

attachment.php

View attachment 287553

View attachment 287551View attachment 287552

The carpet was preserved by 1 1/2 inches of silt.:msp_w00t: I bought this truck in '08 from C F Laughlin Logging Company out of Yamhill, Oregon. It was the owner's personal truck for 10 years and was put into official crummy duty from '01 till '06. It sat for 2 years and I bought it in the beginning of '08 off of Autotrader.com and had it shipped to 'Jersey. I simply could not find a single rear wheel crew cab 4x4 diesel 5 speed any where near me and didn't want to start doing conversions. It came with the ATS turbo as well so it could very well have won a crummy race or two in its hey day.:rock:

My wallet tells me it was a crummy. New engine,clutch, rebuilt turbo, trans. Basically everything under the hood has been replaced except the air conditioning and that doesn't work, go figure:dizzy: I am on oilburners.net also and guys there remember the truck when Laughlin was using it. One guy remembers a Bowman Sky car in the back of the truck as it cruised through town like it was no big deal, no wonder it came with air bags. The rear right hand side of the bed took a hit and the tailgate doesn't quite shut like it should. The radiator support has extra metal welded to it for reinforcing. The truck's saving grace is the fact that it has very little rust. NOBODY around here even knows what a "Crummy" means.

crummy cred. i've prob have seen that truck more than once. local outfitt it is from. been looking for a 3/4 ton IH travleall 4x4 for the muesum , but i think all the ones that had crummy cred are all gone the way of so much of the equipment .

After 20 1/2 years, today was probably the last wood cutting day for the Landcruiser as I have given in to the pressures of town life and bought a new to me vehicle. I post only because Bob has granted it crummy status. The dealer validated crummy status when he refused to take it as a trade in. Wife says it or my pickup has to go. Right now it looks like I'll keep the pickup. :cry: Ron

Today's best view:

attachment.php

Next to some ugly stumps I flush cut today (Only second one is mine; trying to learn to do Humbolts - I'm not doing so hot. Note the uprooted one. The tree pulled over as I was getting a good tension on the rope - I believe the old Toyota was just showing off one last time. Oh, don't scratch your head too hard over the stumps, they have been spun.)

attachment.php

Pickup:

attachment.php

View attachment 287553

View attachment 287551View attachment 287552

shame, with a little work them are some nice rigs to just load up and boondock in.

Back