Show off your crummys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A crummy, in our part of the world, is usually the vehicle that hauls the crew to and from the woods. A lot of them are crew cab pickups but occasionally a van or small bus is used.

exactly. often beat to crap, and a high percentage of pea green paint jobs.

Yes, the unique odor. The one crew gives me a ride once in a while. Some crews get the boss's hand me downs. I suspect that is what they have. It has leather seats, which are now ripped with springs showing through, and coffee rings, snoose dribble on the sides and grease smudges all over.

It gets 5 guys to the job and hauls their stuff. That's all that matters.
When they put all the rigging they can or the carriage in the back, it becomes a low rider.

Now one crew had "The Subaru Crummie" which the yarder engineer bought for $100. They blew the radiator hose pulling line with it. He thought it was dead, but put another hose in it and it kept on going. You'd best be out of the way when they headed that car down the hill at the end of the day.

Ecactly. Crummy carries a crew. Not you & your saw. I used to work in NE Oregon with a bunch of folks.

We had a 65 chev 1T van with 4 seats in it. Had a nice crease in the top where it took a log. Back was a small bed for hauling a 55gal of saw mix & 30 gal of bar oil.

It was generaly 1 foot deep in leftover lunches.

Yup ...it stunk to high heaven.

O.K. Mine wasn't really a "crummy". Just a great beater truck that hauled a lot of fire wood and never failed to get out of the woods. I guess we need a different clasification.:)

O.K. Mine wasn't really a "crummy". Just a great beater truck that hauled a lot of fire wood and never failed to get out of the woods. I guess we need a different clasification.:)

Naaaaahhh...just call it a crummy...southern style. :) Just remember to change the name if you get anywhere near the PNW.

Suburbans were a favorite too.

Palco crummy, eight of us rode in it
Scanned0004.jpg

CDF crewtruck, similar to the PL truck, lots more storage, crew of 10 in back.
Thecrew-1-1.jpg

What, no one else had to ride an old school bus crummy?

Andy

Oh man, I've tried to forget that one for thirty years. :) The original "short bus". The loaded trucks went up the hills faster than that thing did. The local school district dumped it because it was too slow and my boss bought it. It's still around. Somebody made a chicken coop out of it...good fit.

Short bus Hah ha. Somewhere I've got pics of our old IH buses, they were beasts. I got my CDL with one back in '74, the DMV part was easy, CDFs road test was difficult, lots of back and fill on log roads, at one point I had to back downhill for three miles. They had the 392 cid V8, with 5 speed/split axle, they were capable of fairly rough travel, only limited by their size. The Station at Redcrest had Jimmies with some sort of huge V6, not very fast, but you didn't have to "row" the gearbox like the IHs.

Hahaha, ok. At least I'm not the only one.
I can't tell you what that wreck had in it, and I sure didn't want any pictures of it. There was one seat that still had some vinyl on it, other than that if you were lucky you got a seat with a saddle blanket, or moving blanket on it. I usually just sat on a tool box. It was a 1 hour ride that took 1 hour & 40 minutes in that crummy.

Andy

There was a rusty yellow box one with blackberries growing over it. I think the scrap market must've gotten good because it is gone.

We got hauled in one of those kind, but not rusty or covered in blackberries. We planted trees. Riding in that thing made me carsick. No yarping, just that icky feeling. I think the heater was hooked up to the exhaust. :greenchainsaw:

Short bus Hah ha. Somewhere I've got pics of our old IH buses, they were beasts. I got my CDL with one back in '74, the DMV part was easy, CDFs road test was difficult, lots of back and fill on log roads, at one point I had to back downhill for three miles. They had the 392 cid V8, with 5 speed/split axle, they were capable of fairly rough travel, only limited by their size. The Station at Redcrest had Jimmies with some sort of huge V6, not very fast, but you didn't have to "row" the gearbox like the IHs.

GMC used to stand for Great Mountain Climber many years ago. Now it stands for government motor co.
That V-6 was probably a 305. They where pretty good old truck motors.

My "crummy" does haul the "crew" to the logging site - the crew is usually fewer than 5 guys though.

f350-1995-4x4-crewcab.jpg

my turn

attachment.php

me and my dad

attachment.php

this is my 1990 Ford F-250 with a 300 I6 and a 5 speed it has 4:10 gear and a rear limited slip it is a hell of a crummy

One crew I worked on had this beat-up old E-350 van with white paint over Weyco yellow. That thing was a hazard, and for a time I was the only licensed driver in a crew of eight. I remember ditching it out near Cosmopolis once when an outbound log truck surprised me in a blind corner, and it taking all of us an hour to get it un-stuck.

Later I had an old Suburban. '74, I think. Nice rig. These days all of our chasers are either single-cabs or six-packs so none of them count as crummies. My rig is just an extra cab.

Latest posts

Back