Showed Up on the Porch Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprintcar

Chainsaw Slut
Reaction score
044 Big Bore Kit. Quality from the outside looks O.K. Didn't have time to open it any further. Kinda of a shame to put something that clean in a nasty wore out chainsaw. We shall see, more pics as this project goes along.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wifes out of town so the dishwasher is fair game. Dumb dog will probally tell on me!

:dizzy:

Nice!
I have a grin just knowing whats going to happen the the dish washer!!!!!

I just had a NWP bb kit for a 460 sent from Baileys. The quality seems to be very good, as well as the price. Installed it tonight and checked the squish. Found it to be quite even. .025 in three spots and .028 in on other. Good luck with your project.

I finally had a chance to start pulling apart the 044 project saw. Since I've seen so many purtty saws, I thought I'd show you a really UGLY one!
I'm glad the wifes outta town, she would have pitched a fit if I had taken the pictures on the kitchen table like I started to.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to follow.

:givebeer:

One nasty saw. We can fix that, I think!

See anything other than the filth in this picture that stands out?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Why would anyone let a saw get in this condition? Maybe I was raised different.

:)

After a week of bucking firewood in a rainy, muggy spring week!
I can sure dirty a saw!(plus me over filling bar oil, to were it runs over the whole saw doesn't help!! LOL

Keep the pics coming!

Last pics. The dude that has this saw must have had one hellva set of arms. This is the pull rope fully extended. Don't ask me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Me thinks this may need a tad more than just a piston and cylinder kit. We shall see.

And any other alcohol ya got!

Last edited:
Sprint

I think I can see bits of chainsaw in the middle of the sawdust gunk! :dizzy:

Keep us updated with pictures, that's the type of thread that we like :rock:

Maybe the dude was short. That would be a long pull for him then. That carb boot just doesn't look right. Maybe too much gunk around it. Did you figure out why it seized yet? Compressed air would have done someone a favor. I have an 015 on the bench that started out like that but cleaned up nice. Keep us posted.

Sprint, that is actually in a lot better condition than many I see, that stuff is only oil and sawdust, it will mostly blow out with comp. air and then a little wash up it will be quite nice. I had one come in that could not be turned over due to the gunk compacted in around the flywheel, litterally had to chisel out the whole saw from an enormous lump of black hardened crud, reminded me of asphalt. Clean it up, find the reason for the scoring and put your new P&C on er, cut wood.
Pioneerguy600

my first 046 to 044 jug swap project saw looked a lot like this one. except it had a good jug and piston.

i didn't go to much trouble to clean it up. but i did knock out the big clumps of dirt and saw dust before i installed the 046 jug!

the old saw is a strong runner now!

that new jug and slug is going to make your old 044 run like a champ!

do look for the problem that scored the OE jug. check the vac and the carb for sure.

Sprint, that is actually in a lot better condition than many I see, that stuff is only oil and sawdust, it will mostly blow out with comp. air and then a little wash up it will be quite nice. I had one come in that could not be turned over due to the gunk compacted in around the flywheel, litterally had to chisel out the whole saw from an enormous lump of black hardened crud, reminded me of asphalt. Clean it up, find the reason for the scoring and put your new P&C on er, cut wood.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry,

Yeah I just got home from church and will start the process of cleaning her up this afternoon. With the wife outta town I figured I had better make an appearance or she would get briefed when she got home. This old saw ain't in too bad of shape and I thought after seeing all the nicely cleaned up saws I would post some pictures of a typical saw that shops and folks like us see on a daily basis. I think I know the reason for the issue with this saw. I will confirm my analysis after I tear her down a little further. This one should be a good asset to the MS 440 and MS 441 sitting on the shelf.

Once again thanks,

Jerry

my first 046 to 044 jug swap project saw looked a lot like this one. except it had a good jug and piston.

i didn't go to much trouble to clean it up. but i did knock out the big clumps of dirt and saw dust before i installed the 046 jug!

the old saw is a strong runner now!

that new jug and slug is going to make your old 044 run like a champ!

do look for the problem that scored the OE jug. check the vac and the carb for sure.

You can guarantee she will get VAC and Pressure tested after reassembly. If I could just remember how to put multiple quotes on one reply.Teaching me how to be computer literate is like putting a :censored:screen door on a submarine. Looks nice, ain't real functional!

Yep, I use to think Decomp valves were for wimps. I have changed my attitude considerably over the last ten years.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

depending on the saw i plug the hole. on the ms260 or the 026, or on huskys like the 350, or 455 you dont really need the damn things... but when you get up to a 395, or 3120 (or ms660, or ms880 for the stihl guys) with a bar too big to drop start...you might find a new fond love for your decompression valve

Yep, I use to think Decomp valves were for wimps. I have changed my attitude considerably over the last ten years.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SO DOES YOUR PLASTIC HAVE THE HOLE FOR THE DECOMP? i HAVE A 12MM 044 WITH NO DECOMP, SO THE PLUG WOULD BE HANDY

depending on the saw i plug the hole. on the ms260 or the 026, or on huskys like the 350, or 455 you dont really need the damn things... but when you get up to a 395, or 3120 (or ms660, or ms880 for the stihl guys) with a bar too big to drop start...you might find a new fond love for your decompression valve

Yeah, my three Husky 350's, the 445, my two 026 Pro's, my two 036 Pro's, my MS 440 and 441 all have decomp valves. neither of my 066's have valves. Yeah, I'll say it for ya, I'm an Idiot, just worked out that way I guess. I think I've got an 044 shroud with the decomp opening already there. If not, shrouds are pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back