Showed Up on the Porch Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was so much crud under the clutch that the oil pump arm would not even turn. Now comes the fun part.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cheers:

Last pics. The dude that has this saw must have had one hellva set of arms. This is the pull rope fully extended. Don't ask me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Me thinks this may need a tad more than just a piston and cylinder kit. We shall see.

:givebeer:

And any other alcohol ya got!

That's plenty of rope, you'll need to change it when you get down to 6".

Cylinder as removed. The cylinder doesn't look that bad. I didn't wipe the inside, just took the pictures.

attachment.php

Exhaust side.

attachment.php

Intake side. Sorry for the crappy picture.

attachment.php

Down the barrel.

attachment.php
attachment.php

This is Stihl part number 1128 020 1227. If one of you magical porting guys want one that can clean up and you can play with, shoot me a P.M. I'll throw in a slightly used intake boot at the same cost.

:givebeer:

Looking real good now that its cleaned up, that BB kit will give er a new life. The 044 is the saw I like to port the most, easy to get good power gains with just a muffler mod and a general woods port job.
Pioneerguy600

If I could just remember how to put multiple quotes on one reply.Teaching me how to be computer literate is like putting a :censored:screen door on a submarine. Looks nice, ain't real functional!

:dizzy:

Easy. According to computer skills, we must be twins! Open multiple AS pages with the same thread. Press the quote command for the posts you want to quote, each quote in its own page of course. Copy each and every "quote" to the post you're writing. Hope I was clear in my explanations.

By the way Sprint, you may not agree with me, but I think there is a cylinder in the middle of the sawdust block!

Last edited:
Starting to look like a saw again. Pressure and vac test passed, new intake boot, new clutch, new this, new that, maybe I'll just list all the crap this saw got at the end.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Maybe by this time next weekend I can test and tune.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Starting to look like a saw again. Pressure and vac test passed, new intake boot, new clutch, new this, new that, maybe I'll just list all the crap this saw got at the end.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Maybe by this time next weekend I can test and tune.

:hmm3grin2orange:

WOW, Your almost done. can't be too much more to do. maybe pull the oil pump make sure it spins good and check the spring on the worm gear for the oiler. make sure the end is still there and isn't worn down too much.

WOW, Your almost done. can't be too much more to do. maybe pull the oil pump make sure it spins good and check the spring on the worm gear for the oiler. make sure the end is still there and isn't worn down too much.

Yeah I pulled the oil pump, glad I did. The grommet from the pump to the housing was in about three pieces. The gears surprisingly were in great shape. After removing all the crud on this saw, and there really wasn't that much, pretty fair shape overall. We'll see how she does shortly.

Thanks,

Jerry

You can guarantee she will get VAC and Pressure tested after reassembly. If I could just remember how to put multiple quotes on one reply.Teaching me how to be computer literate is like putting a :censored:screen door on a submarine. Looks nice, ain't real functional!

I would have ordered a seal kit from Baileys whether it needed it or not. Gaskets and crank seals are under $10 for everything.

I like to put a "little" mix oil in the cylinder and leave the plug out . pull it over slow a few times to coat everything and then put the plug in to fire it up.

I would have ordered a seal kit from Baileys whether it needed it or not. Gaskets and crank seals are under $10 for everything.

Yes I considered ordering a gasket set but I already had a crank seal kit for an 044. Ended up I didn't need either. The more I look at this saw I think it didn't have that hard of a life, it just didn't have very good care. The pressure and vac test was good, so I'm gonna leave it as is. Maybe the next drop off on the porch.

:cheers:

Primed through the carb throat fired on the third pull, burned all the 30 weight I used on the cylinder bore, pistons and rings. brought her up to just above idle let her run that way for about three minutes. Neighbor came out wanting to know what new saw I had. After about ten minutes fired her back up, set the low side, rough adjustment no bar and chain or air filter. Throttle response is good, gotta turn the oiler down, musta been running some long bars before they blew it up. Final clean up, minor odds and ends, put a twenty on her and see how she does next weekend.

Wifes home, never said a word about the dishwasher.

Ah, I see you're like me and like a little bit of chainsaw with your dirt.

Not really, I got this 044 for free. I also got an MS-210 and a McCulloch 610 in the same deal. The McCulloch needed some minor clean up, fuel line and filter, new plug and its ready to go. The 210 needs a carb kit and a few other minor things. The 044 I was gonna build back stock but I read some good things about Baileys BB kits. Price was right, cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin and base gasket. Did some very minor muffler mods. Will compare this saw after full break-in to my MS-440 and MS-441.

Thanks,

Jerry

Latest posts

Back