showin' off some of my stuff.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks agua, I learned something already from that site. I didn't realize you get multiple bowls from one burl. I'll post a pic of the burl and you tell me what you think.

Only if you have the coring tool.....which has a pretty steep learning curve. I made a number of "funnels" before getting the laser guide for it. Check out the "Mcnaughton Center Saver" tool.

Thanks guys. I love the spalted stuff, but I'm super paranoid about breathing it. I'm slowly working my way through nursing school (taking a break now b/c of job not working with my schedule--hard to find another job these days with health benefits), anyway, in my microbiology lab class I learned about the fungal lung infections you can get from breathing spalted wood dust. BAADD. very bad. I have a 3M full faceshield respirator with a polycarbonate impact shield. Kindof a pita, but worth the safety factor. Gotta wear the PPE in everything you do, I suppose.

Thanks for the all the details - +1 on the dust!

I've got a trend airshield and am very happy with it. Agree totally on the spalted wood thing. Bigleaf Maple is one of the worst for this, but the finished product makes it worth it. I also have the McNaughton system core-saver. Great when you are using a nice piece of wood.

wall thichness

great job on the bowls

do you use any particular type of cut or gouge to cut a bowl with such a thin wall thickness?

when i try to turn bowl so thin it usually becomes to weak to support the cutting, leaving scratches all over the bowl. or it just explodes. i always turn them with green hardwoods like ash and yew but i can turn as such thin wall thicknesses

any advice would be appriciated

Nice work. They look unique.
If you're thinking better lighting in photography, then try this tip.
Make a diffuser for the front of the lamp(if it's a spot type lamp).
Just make sure that if the bulb is incandescent or halogen that it's not going to burst into flames. Make out of frosted glass sheet maybe.
If it's a compact florescent bulb(s) then rice paper or onion skin paper between the source and the object will work. Reflected is good way too as previously stated.
Just a couple tips on home-made photography lighting from my two years studying it at College.(It has to come in handy. I paid enough for the knowledge...lol)
Good Luck and happy carving.
~Stan

Great thread, I had to rep you on it. This is one of those simple threads that I just learned a ton from. I have access to almost unlimited wood, and I have been milling lots of spalted Maple and Poplar, and never thought about the fungi I was milling and sanding. I've been leaving the stumps, and I have a couple Hickory blow downs that were cut up for firewood, guess I'll go back and get those stumps. My father in law just gave away two lathes and now I'm looking for one. I didn't know about the DNA either. Got a respirator, guess I better start wearing it. I read every thing I can get my hands on, so I'm gonna check out the books mentioned. Thanks again for the post, and by the way, beautiful bowls, Joe.

Latest posts

Back