shrub in a pot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pincus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Thyrsifolia Kalanchoe (pancake leaves) which I have chosen to keep in a pot rather than plant in the ground. It is in a 15" high pot. The bottom 6" is filled with fine beach sand and the top 9" is filled with potting soil. Am I right in assuming that because the sand in underneath, it won't adversely affect the plant or will the sand affect the roots?

I'm not surprised that you haven't gotten any response about a plant on an arborist site.

Anyhow, I'd think that your potting profile suits the plant just fine as the species doesn't develop deep roots and prefers dry soil.

I am curious about why you posted the question. Are you having a problem with it?

I've used this site to post a question on transplanting large shrubs and got good advice. I hoped I'd get a reply to this question as well. I am not having trouble with the plant but after I put beach sand in the bottom of the pot, I thought that might not be the best way to go after all. But so far, so good.

I have a Thyrsifolia Kalanchoe (pancake leaves) which I have chosen to keep in a pot rather than plant in the ground. It is in a 15" high pot. The bottom 6" is filled with fine beach sand and the top 9" is filled with potting soil. Am I right in assuming that because the sand in underneath, it won't adversely affect the plant or will the sand affect the roots?

I realize I am quite late in responding to this thread, however, this method of placing sand in the bottom of a pot with potting soil in the top portion is no longer recommended. It can create a perched water table where the water will stay in the potting soil until the saturation level is reached to go into the sand. This could create a deficit of oxygen to the roots. Better to have the appropriate potting medium the same throughout the pot.

This plant is a succulent, Kalanchoe thyrsifolia, so I would have used a specific potting blend suited for these special plants.

An obvious question, but I will ask it anyway...you do have a drain hole in this pot, correct?

Sylvia

Last edited:
Back