Sick maple trees in my yard. Need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjolnir3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 4 maple trees (don't know the particular variety) in my yard and fairly close to the house. I have noticed some abnormalities in all 4 of them and am concerned for their health. I have no idea what I am looking at/for but I know what I am seeing in them is not normal. I would really prefer saving them but I am afraid they might all need to be cut down before they fall down. I was hoping some of the fine folks here might offer some advice as I know very little about trees but really like them around the house. I have several pictures I took this morning. I have attached one of them to this post. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

It looks to me like a branch maybe peeled off leaving a long wound. A tree doesn't heal its wounds, but isolates them, forming a protective shell around it. (compartmentalization) The wood inside this compartment is left to die or decay. You can see where the tree has formed a long callus along both sides of the wound. Some trees form better protective barriers then others. I'm not familiar with the ones in your photos.
I could also be wrong and hope someone with more understanding will comment or correct me.
Trees can retain a lot of structural integrity even with their centers rotted out or hollow. I would be concerned with the branch union on the right though. It may fail as the tree gets bigger and more stress is put on it.
If all your trees have a similar defect, it could of been caused by real bad trimming cuts or storm damage a long time ago.
I would have a qualified arborist assess your trees if your concerned for their health and your safety.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Beastmaster. I spoke with my neighbor a little while ago. He also has a few maples in his yard and one of them is exhibiting the same symptoms as mine. He said it started after they were trimmed a few years ago. He said mine were trimmed at the same time (I did not own the house then). He also said there are woodpeckers getting to then, although I have not personally seen any (there is evidence). How would I get in touch with a qualified arborist? Agricultural Department, maybe? I'm new to this whole thing. Thanks.

yes, although your concerns are understandable, I would have to agree with beast~ have someone come out and consult for you in person. Its really hard to tell from the photo you attached. To encourage this particular tree to compartmentalize its wound you may have to rod it together. Rods force the tree to remain together and prevent splitting further. There may be a problem here we just cannot identify without being there. If you have no luck getting solid answers, let us know here and we can arrange for someone qualified close by to stop in and visit the trees.:cheers:

Thank you

Thank you for your response!
I will try to find someone qualified to look at these trees.
I am attaching a couple more pictures to this post, as well
Also, once I have had someone qualified look at the maples, I will post his diagnosis.

good idea to post Arborist' findings, really you should not be charged beyond minimum charge perhaps for fuel. We are happy to help anyone who needs any help with their Tree needs.

plentyu of rot from topping cuts, but tree is responding. A good pruning will help, but you need to help the roots too.

My wife will be contacting tree services and the agricultural department extension office today while I am out. Hopefully she will come across a qualified person to look at these. I hope they can be saved. Does anyone know the approx lifespan of a maple tree? These were planted in 1972. Thanks.

My wife contacted the agricultural office extension here in our county. A fellow from from the University of TN agricultural department came out (he is an arborist, amongst other things and was extremely knowledgable) and looked at all 4 trees. He said what was happening is the result of the previous owner having them topped. He said when they are topped (or any other 'open wound') it's an open invitation for boring grubs. The grubs get in and tunnel around in the inside of the tree and they attract wood peckers. He said one of the trees was too far gone, but the other 3 he was sure could be saved. He advised picking up some insecticide at the local co-op that is specifically for trees. Advised me to really soak down the eareas that we open and had evidence of any insect or decay and also spray down the bark as far up as I could get. He said that once all of the insects were dead and gone, the wood peckers would seek food elsewhere. What do you think? Sounds logical to me and he pointed out the evidence. Anyone know of a good insecticide that will work on these grubs? Thanks!

Im no expert by a long shot, and he appears to be, but I was under the impression that sprays weren't effective against borers unless sprayed on the tree about the same time their chewing through the bark. Once their in there they go throu their life cycles protected from the outside world of sprays and poisons. I would double check this. I vary well could be wrong. Id be interested in what poison he's recommending. Good luck, Beastmaster

maples

A little late to get the borers. And you don't even know what type of borers anyway? If you see holes coming out of the stem of the tree your looking at exit holes -bugs are gone--These could be a secondary pest--meaning they came after the rot has taken place.
I think you would be wasting your time. Keep the trees healthy and get them evaluated to see if there is enough good wood in the trunk to hold up the tree. It might look good but once you cut into it the tree falls apart-

Anyone one this fourm ever had that happen?

-I speak for the trees for the trees have no tounges

grubs

probably flat head borers...Think they spend two yrs as a grub inside the tree,then emerge as an adult.BM is correct.The spray is a contact poison,and will only kill anything drilling into the bark.''Merit is an all purpose spray used for borers.If you do spray you'll want to know the proper dates for spraying your location.Also if there are more than one infestation per season.About all I know...

extension guy was right about the topping as the cause of the decay.

but he was wrong about condemning one tree (this is a kneejerk cya move by bureaucrats) and also about attacking the bugs which are scavengers.

if you got the consult for free then you got a little more than you paid for. gas money whaa? :msp_scared:

your trees can be safely retained by restoration pruning and also cabling. see Trees Are Good to find a certified arborist

Latest posts

Back