Significant signs of ash borer damage, red or lillac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeme101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a tree on a property, it is an ash tree, full grown and about 15 years old. It was cleared in 09 by a very respected arborist has being healthy and an asset. I like the tree, not crazy about it, I think it had a bad year last year looked a bit off. A competing arborist ( they both sell) said it had "significant" ash borer damage last OCT. So we are a bit confused, I looked up this infestation and have to say I saw absolutely no signs of this type of damage on the trunk, no holes etc. So what are some other signs and how can we go from very healthy to extreme borage damage in about a years time. Other than it looking a bit lack luster last year, which could have been from anything I dont know what to do now.
The second person is trying to sell another tree and it upsets us he would not be truthful. Since we have significant work available on our properties we want honest people of course that help us get the most for our money. We would prefer to not replace a tree if it is healthy clearly. Is there an optimum time to diagnosis borers? He saw the tree when it was dormant.

Back