Sihl farm boss 041 breakdown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm repairing the oil pump and replacing the piston. I am down to the two halves of the engine with everything else removed. I can move each half back and forth but I can not separate them. I love my Stihl but I am afraid I will crack something if I continue. Do I need a special puller,I have one for the flywheel,that worked great.
Thanks

If you are only replacing the piston, remove the wrist pin locks, push out the pin & install the new piston & rings in reverse order.:chainsawguy:

stihl 041

thanks old chipmonk and mike. :) WoW after reading the posts no wonder my stihl dealer said forget it.
It should be fun -in my spare time

stihl 041 farm boss breakdown

I bought a 041 from ebay and rebuilt the carb and replaced the sprocket and clutch which is running now. But I did that to practice for my 041.. I broke it down and have bought new gaskets(looked like a gasket broke?) and rebuilt the oil pump(oil was leaking into the crankcase).
My problem is putting the crankcase halves back together.
I left the crank in and cleaned the bearings and left oil seals in(looked ok). I heated the crankcase and it appeared to slide over the bearing fine.
But when I tightened the bolts the two halves would not tighten together. There was a gap at the cylinder end of the housing about 1/16 inch. Also the crank was not free to move. I took it apart and tried again this time It would fit closer but the crank was still bound(but not as tight).
I don't know if this means anything but when I left for a few hours the crankcase halves came together more but the crank still was not moving free.

stihl Insulating plate 041

I have two 041's one is put back together and running(#9901608) the other(#9556169) is almost back together. When I put the handle on I am pushing the insulating plate when I tighten the cylinder screws. So much so that it appears it may snap. I noticed that the insulating plate on the first saw has more space between the plate and the handle. :confused: Should I just not tighten the handle all the way?
I did replace the seals and rings on this one.
Well...Well..Well..Glad I can edit this post.. I don't need beer to mess up...I put the adapter in backwards:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Last edited:
Excellent conclusion

Idnit great!

Homelite-all
mac-10 & 1/4 pounder
troybilt-wheel barrow
craftsman-saw file
corona-anything at lowes
hats-lowboy style
hooks-eagle claw
blocks-cinder:clap:

Latest posts