Silver Maple Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowdenver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This problem showed up on a silver maple this fall. Seems to be spreading fast. Nothing has changed around tree except severe drought this year.
Any ideas on what and how to treat?

Scraping the leasion area is there a whole were a borer would have pushed out frass?

Doesn't quite look like it to me, more like a canker type infection.

I would take some samples and send them in to an extention for analysis.

The problem may not be as it appears! But this is what it looks like to me.

I once was asked to look at an ornamental crab that was showing similar symptoms of some disease. The tree was located near the sidewalk of a residental street and showed similar wet lesions approximately 1-2 feet above the soil line. Emitting a foul odour and isolated in moreless one location.

I predicted that a neighborhood dog made a daily visit to the tree and used it as a marker for its territory. The uric acid in the dog's urine was causing the decomposition of the bark tissue and as a result it appeared much like wet wood of an elm. I had the home-owner watch for a dog doing its daily rounds.............and sure enough it visited every morning. A little black pepper applied every so often, hindered the visitation rights of the dog!

Back