Silvey square grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtorque1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK, looks like I will have to buy a new one as I can't find a used machine. Silvey makes two models that they refer to as entry level. One is the Razur Sharp II and the other is the Swing Arm model. I have never used a round let alone square chain grinder. My questions: which model would be better for someone who won't be grinding chains professionally? Also, is one easier to use than the other? Any advantages of one over the other?

Also, given that I may not be able to sharpen this square stuff by hand given the level of difficulty, I wonder if square ground chain stays sharp as well or better than round chisel chain if you keep it out of the dirt and rocks? I cut mostly pine, oak and gum here in NC. If it does not, I had better stick with round so that I can sharpen it in the field rather than having to replace the chain with a freshly sharpened one.

Silvey Razur Sharp

Steve, is the RSII what you have? Is it easy to use? Could you respond to my question about the stay sharp ability of square ground relative to round. I really need to be educated on this. Madsen's told me that the Swing Arm is easier to use because you bring the chain to the wheel rather than the wheel to the chain. I suppose that should make some sense to me, but it doesn't.

Thanks so much!

Silvey Razur sharpII

Yes I have a RS II...
Once you understand what adjustments you need to make I don't think it's all that confusing to figure out. I was very fortunate to buy my grinder from Ken Dunn, and he set the angles for me. You still need to understand what your moving and why your moving it, and what to leave alone and not mess with.
Anyway,
I will never round grind any of my chain again, because square ground chain is faster ...Period. But, I don't use my saw as a Ditch Witch, and I don't use my saw 5 days a week 40 hours a day. They say round ground chain is more forgiving when your rock hunting..... I change my chain when I feel it's getting dull to the point that I may be putting excessive wear on the bar and chain as well as the powerhead.(using to much pressure to make the saw to cut)
To sum it up, in my humble opinion square ground chain, is free horsepower...The saw simply cuts faster.
Steve

Simington Square grinder

Steve here...
Found this square grinder on Ebay a month or so ago
It's and old Simington, set up is almost too, similar to my Razur sharp II... works the same way.needed a couple pieces and parts, but it seems to work great. It is a little more adjustable than my Silvey...Why can't I have two square grinders...lol

Oh, if anyone has any info on this that would be cool...Have no idea how old it is.

Steve

<p>Howdy<p/>
<p>The Simington grinders are very high quality. Maybe even more so than the equivalent priced Silvey models. I think the Simingtons are also made here in Oregon, in the Lakeview area? I know the 450 and 450B are the equivalent models to the Silvey Razur Sharp and Razur Sharp 2.<p/>

Simington Square grinder

It's a 495, and like I said very similar to the RSII
Steve

I fumbled away on google and only came up with the distributor that sold it back then...Went to there web site, just new stuff.

Simington Square grinder

KD said, my Simington also has some resemblance to his old Simington swingarm square grinder. Ken's is like an RS 1, go figure....

eBay RSII

I want to thank both z4lunch(Steve) and dozerdan(Dan) for advice on the purchase and use of this grinder.

When I first saw it on eBay, Dan assured me that where it had been broken, and professionally welded, would in no way affect its use. Dan told me that I "reeaallllllly" needed a square grinder.

After purchase, Steve came up with much needed info and a few teeth he had ground for me to "try" to match. He also made some suggestions on grinding wheels and how to set it up.

This machine appears to have never been fully "set-up". It was tipped over and the back Aluminum casting, that mounts the grinder to the stand, was broken. The wheel was also broken. It appears that was the only use it saw, very limited. The eBay price was $306.00 plus $75.00 to ship the stand, two parts, and grinder. My wife and I went and picked it up for about $20.00 in fuel. I have not had time to do a lot of grinding, but what has been done, .325 for an 026 and 034S, is fast and very smooth. I will be "touching-up" the chain on my 090KD this week.

I know of no other place that good people can get together and help each other like they can here. Thanks Guys.

So many chains, so little time. Larry @HOS

So you`re the guy that outbid me! Glad that someone "I know" got it and it will have a good home. Also glad to hear that the repairs were done right.

Russ

Last edited:
:greenchainsaw:
OK, looks like I will have to buy a new one as I can't find a used machine. Silvey makes two models that they refer to as entry level. One is the Razur Sharp II and the other is the Swing Arm model. I have never used a round let alone square chain grinder. My questions: which model would be better for someone who won't be grinding chains professionally? Also, is one easier to use than the other? Any advantages of one over the other?

Also, given that I may not be able to sharpen this square stuff by hand given the level of difficulty, I wonder if square ground chain stays sharp as well or better than round chisel chain if you keep it out of the dirt and rocks? I cut mostly pine, oak and gum here in NC. If it does not, I had better stick with round so that I can sharpen it in the field rather than having to replace the chain with a freshly sharpened one.

GOOD MACHINE, BUT IF YOUR USING SQUARE CHAIN THAT'S ALL THAT MACHINE WILL DO. BUY THE OTHER ONE AND YOU CAN DO ALL CHAINS BUT THE SQUARE CHAINS. THERE ABOUT 850.00.AT BAILEYS, 1-800-322-4539 IF YOUR NOT GOING TO DO A MILLION CHAINS I WOULD BUY A GOOD GRINDER ON EBAY FOR 120.00 AND THEY DO JUST AS GOOD A JOB. I WOULD GO TO FOLEY-BELSAW.COM OR CALL 1-800-821-3452 AND BUY A "CBN" WHEEL. YOU CAN GRIND 1000'S OF CHAINS AND IT WILL STILL BE GOOD THERE 129.00 AND YOU NEED TWO ONE FOR SMALL CHAIN AND ONE FOR LARGE. I USE MINE EVERY DAY AND DO ABOUT 50 CHAINS A DAY. I'VE HAD THE SAME WHEEL FOR 10 YEARS. I HAVE FIVE GRINDERS TWO WITH DIAMOND WHEELS FOR DOING CARBIDE TEETH. PLUS ONE DIAMOND WHEEL FOR THE BENCH GRINDER TO DO MY STUMP TEETH. GREEN WHEELS ARE CHEAP BUT YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THEM ALL THE TIME. I HAVE FIVE BIG STUMP GRINDERS RUNNING ALL THE TIME. I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER FORTH YEARS. HOPE THIS HELPS. IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO BUY THE BEST. I SEND ALL OUR BIG HUSKY'S TO CANADA AND HAVE THEM PORTED AND YOU WOULD LOVE THEM, THEY KICK ASS AND LAST JUST AS LONG. TAKE CARE, SKIP

that dude hasn't been here in four years, wonder if he got a grinder?

Last edited:
There is a used Silvey Razor Sharp II for $450, look and you may find it.

I SEND ALL OUR BIG HUSKY'S TO CANADA AND HAVE THEM PORTED AND YOU WOULD LOVE THEM, THEY KICK ASS AND LAST JUST AS LONG.
copy that! read you loud and clear!:hmm3grin2orange:

I saw that. Blue stone even -I run the multi-point dressers on my Pro-Sharp and it makes for smooooth stone.

I suppose it is all about priorities, but for me life is too short not to run a Pro Sharp. Multi point dressers on a blue wheel, of course. Fresh square makes anything else seem like chewing instead of cutting.

When you figure out the cost per saw per year, it isn't that bad. Free extra power without extra noise for all your saws for llife.

Last edited:
ive been seriously considering going square after a lifetime of round..it seems as though the Pro Sharp is the cat's meow...are these multi-point dressers standard?

what are any of your experiences with the other silvey models?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back