Silvey Swing Arm Info Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought a Silvey SA from a gentleman that knows nothing about it (he knows about as much as I do about it... almost nothing). The grinder belonged to a relative who has passed away so getting info has been tough.

I am to understand this grinder should have two dressing tools for dressing the wheel, is this correct? The seller doesn't know of any such tools so I was hoping someone could post a picture of these (if they do exist) and any other accessories that should come with the grinder so I can give them to the seller and hopefully help him locate anything he that might be missing.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future about this grinder, but starting with all the pieces of the puzzle sure makes things easier when getting started!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
call up Silvey ... they will send an detailed instruction manual at no charge. they've also got parts and supplies like grinding wheels, which are reasonably priced.

please post a pic and we'll get it identified...

there's loads of vultures that will gladly purchase it from you.
assuming this is square grinder... those are really hard to find without spending an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
call up Silvey ... they will send an detailed instruction manual at no charge. they've also got parts and supplies like grinding wheels, which are reasonably priced.

please post a pic and we'll get it identified...

there's loads of vultures that will gladly purchase it from you.
assuming this is square grinder... those are really hard to find without spending an arm and a leg.

I'm going to give Silvey a call later today for the manual, I've talked with them in the past and they were very helpful. I know they have all the parts I might need (thankfully), but it would be nice if I didn't need to rebuy items that might be sitting right in front of the sellers face if I don't have to... which is why I was hoping to get a picture of the dressing tools that might have came with it. Getting him to ship this thing has been a little bit of a hassle so I'd like to get everything in one shot if possible.

I'm really looking forward to getting this!

assuming it's the swing arm square grinder model.

there should be two diamond dressers ... one for dressing outside edge, other one to dress angle leading down to edge.

these pictures are from my simington 450, which is the model Silvey is based from.

simington5.JPG

simington6.JPG

simington7.JPG

I have a Swing Arm and it looks very similar to the Simington pictures that were posted. There are two diamond tipped dressers that screw into small aluminum blocks on the back of the motor platform. You can get single tipped dressers for roughing in a new wheel and then switch to multi-tipped dressers for getting a smoother surface on the wheel once it's been roughed in.

If Bailey's doesn't sell them, Madsen's should. Madsen's website is madsens1 dot com.

The dressers and a decent stone are main things. But, getting proper angles and learning the right way to grind takes time and much patience. Madsen's sell's everything one would need as well as tutorial's on it's web site. Unfortunalty they don't sell time a patience.
Like mentioned as well, Silvey is great I has purchased my Silvey products directly from them.

Latest posts

Back