Similarities, Husky 50, 51, 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgnarr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a guy selling 4 parts saws, two 51's, one 50, and one 55. Only bottom ends left in these saws. Any way, I have a Husky 50 Special, which (50, 51, 55) is the most similar and would have the most interchangable parts with the 50 Special?
From what I understand the 51 is dam near the same saw as the special, but I may be wrong.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks - Sam

There is a guy selling 4 parts saws, two 51's, one 50, and one 55. Only bottom ends left in these saws. Any way, I have a Husky 50 Special, which (50, 51, 55) is the most similar and would have the most interchangable parts with the 50 Special?
From what I understand the 51 is dam near the same saw as the special, but I may be wrong.

Thanks - Sam

That's the way I understand it also. I know there was a case change between the 50 and the 50 special, mostly the cyl bolt spacing and the case hole.

Why are there so many of these models for sale with bad piston/cylinders. I bought that 55 with a scored cylinder and am just begining to learn about them.:confused:

Why are there so many of these models for sale with bad piston/cylinders. I bought that 55 with a scored cylinder and am just begining to learn about them.:confused:

Why is the sky blue? :ices_rofl:

I know what your saying, but theres alot of other burned up saws out there for sale too. Look how many people are looking for pistons on here everyday...

Thanks - Sam

More part numbers cross over with the 50.

We see a LOT of 51's and 55's with P/C troubles simply because of the shear numbers of them still in service. They are/were a very well made saw, and priced right, so they sold a lot of them. They remained popular because they have a good power to weight ratio, and were reliable in long term service.

Eventually, someone will forget to put some oil in the fuel, or allow the saw to operate a bit lean, etc, and the result will be piston/ring/jug troubles.

I bought our 55 off of E-Bay for under $100, and it was nearly mint condition, with a very small amount of aluminum smeared over the piston ring. I cleaned up the piston, ring, and jug, and had it running in about an hour without purchasing a single part.

As soon as I got the saw running, I noticed that it was set quite lean at WOT, and probably what led to the troubles in the first place. In any case, I added some fuel with the "H" screw, and it's been running flawlessly ever since.

I just bought a 51 about a week ago, and it was still running fine, but in HORRIBLE shape as far as dirty/grimey and poorly maintained. It is a 1999 model and the carburetor had limiter caps on it. It was also WAY too lean for my liking, so I richened it up some. I would imagine a lot of the later models were set pretty lean to keep the EPA happy, which may also be part of the reason we see a lot of them with smoked P/C's?

As far as parts swapping, the 51's and 55's share just about everything (at least the later models like I have) not sure about the 50's?

I've also heard that 55's were made with closed and open transfers, but I have no idea how to tell which is which. Our 1998 model has closed ports......Cliff

Why is the sky blue? :ices_rofl:

I know what your saying, but theres alot of other burned up saws out there for sale too. Look how many people are looking for pistons on here everyday...

too bad i dont have alot of the new pistons of poulan homelite echo i sometimes wish i had a piston or two for each model out there im very limited on what i have

Does the 50 special have air injection?

The 51 and 55 have air injection so the plastic "bulkead fitting" is different to allow the air duct to attach or feed in from the flywheel.
I've seen a lot of 51's and 55's on ebay with bad topends lately so I know what you mean. The 55 ranchers were often set up with 3/8" chains and 18"-20" bars and that seems like a lot of load on a 53cc saw turning 12,500 rpms.
Cliff R: I'm jealous that you found a closed port 55. I've looked here and there and not been able to find an exact year/model#/serial# range that the closed port saws were made. But I've heard that the closed port models were noticeably stronger than the open port ones.

Here is my 55 1991 mod, no air injection, still running strong .....
attachment.php

attachment.php

The 50 Specials use a different crank than the 50, the 50 crank has a keyway and uses a flywheel with a seperate key where the 50 Special uses a flywheel with a molded in key and the keyway is different on the crank. Also the choke is made into the top cover on the 50/50 Special and it uses a different air filter setup than the 51/55, and the 50/50 Special case does'nt have the slot for the lever type choke lever that the 51 & 55 use. I have found that the clutch covers/brake will interchange on all 4 models though.

Mine is a 1999 model, and is a pretty strong runner. Even so, I think these saws are best suited to the 18" bar .325" set-up. A 20" bar with 3/8" chain would be simply too much, at least for type of cutting we do here.....Cliff

Mine is a 1999 model, and is a pretty strong runner. Even so, I think these saws are best suited to the 18" bar .325" set-up. A 20" bar with 3/8" chain would be simply too much, at least for type of cutting we do here.....Cliff

I used to run an 18" bar on my 50 Special but switched to a 16" and it made a huge difference - try it, you'll like it!

I just got back from cutting a big downed tree at my dad's house. I took the 51 along, and the CS-360T.

The 51 did fine, but it's really maxxed out with an 18" bar and new .325 semi-chisel chain. The 51 runs good, plenty of power, but it's not as strong as the 55 anyplace. I would imagine I'm going to open it up one day and find open transfers in the jug?......Cliff

Latest posts

Back