Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with the business Simonizer! I don't have the money have port work done by anyone, but hope to try my hand at my own husky 350.... just to try. If it doesn't work out no harm no foul cause I don't have much in the saw.

Yeah, he ran it at a GTG a few years ago. He said it was a decent runner, nothing really special. There were definitely stronger saws in the same size class at that GTG. They posted some times, it was consistently coming in third or fourth.
The saw was built to run day in and day out in the hands of a faller. Not a cookie-cutter. It also had to consume less than 10L of fuel a day so the operator did not have to bring 2 fuel containers for a days work. Cheers.

"But if you like the difference you know you have gotten an improvement and for this you have the obligation to compensate him."

I agree about compensation being due.

I'd would say that advertising to all of AS what a great saw Simon bulds would be plenty of compensation in this case. That is, after all, what Simon asked for in the first place. jmo:msp_wink:

The saw was built to run day in and day out in the hands of a faller. Not a cookie-cutter. It also had to consume less than 10L of fuel a day so the operator did not have to bring 2 fuel containers for a days work. Cheers.

A properly ported saw with not a hefty increase in fuel consumption should have the production to match. He would have a shorter day unless he is chasing more than his quota, then there would be a requirement for more fuel.

I'm not looking for a race saw. I'm looking for a saw that has a balance of durability and performance that will increase production.
If it was a perfect world and you could actually measure those two qualities I'd take 45% durability and 55% performance. Performance across the power band, not just on the top end. This saw will do the majority of the bucking up of oak ranging from 20" to however big we run into. It will also be used for the majority of falling, not the PNW kind, but the short bar kind, we seldom even use a 28" bar, it wears a 25" 95% of the time. I've got a neighbor wanting us to drop 25 -30 walnut trees, nothing more just dropping them and he plans on cutting them to length, we'll try to do it in one day, that is about the biggest day of falling we'll ever have due to us cutting tops and cull logs most of the time.

What will be interesting for me is whether or not the claim of a modded saw boosting production in a noticeable way is accurate or not.
One thing I am not concerned about is fuel consumption, if it really gets it and performs, I could care less how much fuel it burns.

I'm not looking for a race saw. I'm looking for a saw that has a balance of durability and performance that will increase production.
If it was a perfect world and you could actually measure those two qualities I'd take 45% durability and 55% performance. Performance across the power band, not just on the top end. This saw will do the majority of the bucking up of oak ranging from 20" to however big we run into. It will also be used for the majority of falling, not the PNW kind, but the short bar kind, we seldom even use a 28" bar, it wears a 25" 95% of the time. I've got a neighbor wanting us to drop 25 -30 walnut trees, nothing more just dropping them and he plans on cutting them to length, we'll try to do it in one day, that is about the biggest day of falling we'll ever have due to us cutting tops and cull logs most of the time.

What will be interesting for me is whether or not the claim of a modded saw boosting production in a noticeable way is accurate or not.
One thing I am not concerned about is fuel consumption, if it really gets it and performs, I could care less how much fuel it burns.

Yeah, never cared much about fuel usage, don't put enough hours on them overall to make much of a difference. Then again, I'm not carrying a bunch of fuel in either.

i use my modded saws for a living and a properly ported saw will increase production in a noticeable way. increased chain speed really helps in limbing and increased torque along with the chain speed helps with falling. i use about 2 gallons of fuel a day sometimes more. the way i look at it if im getting out more wood than i dont mind adding the extra fuel.

Many fallers out here fly into a work site by plane or helicopter. If a guy was bucking on a landing it would be of no consequence. I just conform to what the customers requirements are. Cheers.

I would think a fallers production/time would be of more value and concern than saw fuel expense.

it doesnt matter if you ride a unicycle into work if you build it right the saw should cut more wood for the amount of fuel used.

I wasn't at that GTG so I'm not a witness, but there were guys there with saws they use in the woods everyday that were faster. It's just how it is. Every builder has saws that have been beat by another builders' saws. Eventually there's always someone bigger, nastier, hairier, dirtier, angrier, smarter, and more motivated around the corner.

Like I've said here before- there was a time when I ran a 5:15-5:20 mile and I thought I was pretty cool, until I met a guy who ran a 4:00 mile.

Many fallers out here fly into a work site by plane or helicopter. If a guy was bucking on a landing it would be of no consequence. I just conform to what the customers requirements are. Cheers.

Given that fuel consumption is one of your parameters, how do you like the strato saws?

They are about 20% more efficient in fuel consumption. The fallers I know do not like the performance though. The 576 is one of the smoothest saws I have ever used. It can't pull a 34" bar though. The fuel consumption thing is not about dollars, it is about packing fuel into a site. They don't care if a saw burns 6L or 9L, as long as it does not use 10.1L or more. Cheers.

... It also had to consume less than 10L of fuel a day so the operator did not have to bring 2 fuel containers for a days work. Cheers.

Limiting yourself to just one fuel jug is really gambling. And ten liters sure isn't much for a full day in big timber. There are spills, punctures, and the very real possibility of needing more fuel than you've brought. Every faller I've worked with is careful to have enough fuel, in enough containers, to ensure that if something unplanned happens he'll be able to finish his day. I've never heard of intentionally limiting the availability of your fuel.

LOL...If you can build a faller's saw that will run hard for a faller's day on just 10 liters of fuel you might be on to something.

I'd be curious to know why a guy would limit himself on fuel. Is it a BC thing ?

I can see fuel consumption being a big issue in areas were there is limited accessibility. If you have to hike in, limited by weigh capacity in boats or helo's, it could make a big difference. I'm fortunate that I can drive to anywhere we are cutting in a 4x4 and carry a five gallon can. If I had to carry fuel in plus the saw plus all the other gear, I'd want a fuel sipper. My shoulders still cringe at humping a ruck while in the service.

If you guys don't have one yet, get a GoPro camera. They shoot at 60 frames per second, in HD. When I time cuts, I run the GoPro, and my times starts when chips fly and stop flying. I do it the same way, every time. When I review the videos, I can use the time on the video to time my saw, even if I slow it down 400%.

I shoot with a HD camcorder and go frame by frame to measure times when editting.

Latest posts

Back