Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is my favourite saw to mod. I feel like that saw is my own child lol. Expensive to do with all the different parts. Absolute rocket though. 34" bar in cedar no problem. I have been spending time on the Dolmar 7900 lately, it is an ugly looking saw with air filtration issues but it really does respond well to modding. The muffler is a real pain to work on. Cheers.

If the 7900 muffler is a pain to work on you must have a hell of a time with a can of sardines without a pull tab !!

What kind of boat work are you doing? Are you on lakes or ocean?

1965 Johnson Tri-hull, use it on Lakes, but I also boat in the ocean with a different boat. All the wood in it was rotten so I've totally gutted it, new transom is done, just finished fiberglassing the stringers, now have to fit the cap back on and put in a new deck.

Removing lower ring question

A quick question for the guys in the know.
I recently put together a Sachs Dolmar 153
that was in pieces when i got it. I was told it
was an ex race saw, But who knows.
The piston had the lower ring removed but
the ring grove was pined at both sides of
the exhaust port. For what reson i'm not sure.
But my gut feeling is so when the piston is in it's
downward stroke the compressed crank case
mix doesn't travel up the skirt into the ring grove
and out the exhaust port.
Could this be correct or am i missing something here.

Lee

A quick question for the guys in the know.
I recently put together a Sachs Dolmar 153
that was in pieces when i got it. I was told it
was an ex race saw, But who knows.
The piston had the lower ring removed but
the ring grove was pined at both sides of
the exhaust port. For what reson i'm not sure.
But my gut feeling is so when the piston is in it's
downward stroke the compressed crank case
mix doesn't travel up the skirt into the ring grove
and out the exhaust port.
Could this be correct or am i missing something here.

Lee
You are missing something here. Cheers.

And what am i missing?

Lee

Maybe the exhaust port was widened to the point that the ring would no longer stay in its groove so the builder cut the ring away where the port was and used two pins to retain the remaining ring.

Thats just a guess...

Damn, It must be top secret!!!

Id like to know myself. I thought about the rings and the exhaust port too, but the top ring passes across the port too.

What do you get if you cross an Elephant and a Rhino?

I believe there is a true difference in builders that build saws for homeowners wanting to have the fastest saw in the culdesac and builders that build true work saws.

Jacob and Jasha build mean wood eatin' work saws. Plus they know the ins and outs of the abuse a west side fallin' saw will see on a daily basis. So to see some positive posts from those 2 cats speaks volumes to me.

Good luck to you mang! :)

Gary

I'll echo this. I might not be an everyday faller, but I tip a lot of wood. I want a saw that's uncorked but still reliable. I don't want to buy a fast cookie cutter that's worn out before the pull rope is.

The capacity to know how to kill trees every day and how to build a saw to do it means a lot. So does the ability to maintain a reputation with a clientele of demanding fallers. What doesn't mean much is bucking some 8" hardwood into 2" cookies in record time in the corner of your yard.

Buying a saw from a guy that builds saws for a living makes a lot of sense. I don't take my truck to a computer programmer to be painted and I don't see an auto mechanic about paving my driveway.

I was told on here a while ago that my ported 372 is slow, but I bet it's still turning gas into noise long after most of the built saws featured on this site are in the landfill.

Back