Single Wall Vs Double Wall stove pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My neighbor had a chimney fire about 5 weeks ago. They're having the entire stove pipe and chimney pipe run replaced. Stove had about 6 feet of single wall stove pipe then double wall chimney pipe for 20+ feet. Their current plan is to use double wall stove pipe for the 6 foot section then new chimney pipe. I think thy will lose a lot of heat transfer with the double wall. Looking for thoughts from folks with knowledge.

Idk about double wall, I have single walled stainless from the furnace to the thimble and its triple walled insulated from the thimble to the top of the chimney. Never had better draft. Heats up quick too. The outer skin is cool to thr touch even in 50* weather. When we had issues with our old chimney it tripple wall was the only recommendation over fixing the masonry one. I'd check with your insurance company as well, and make sure double wall is acceptable.

Theoretically there is nothing wrong with what they had previously if its kept clean and installed away from flammable materials. As described the single walled section inside the house helps deliver heat to the house where you need it. The double skinned section helps draft because the metal heats up quicker where you don't need the heat.

What does your stove manual recommend? Some of these new stoves are pretty efficient like blazeking. They recommend double wall to keep chimney warm enough to cut down a creosote. There is a big difference in reqired clearance to combustibles between single and double wall too.

Sounds like they had an issue with creo buildup. Obviously. Tough to guess the circumstances entirely but wet fuel is top of the list of problems normally.
Double wall connector pipe will help with that issue. In reality your stove actually does the heating. Sucking heat off your connector pipe is a really bad idea! I favor double wall for venting safety/cleanliness.
I can also say I am currently running single wall connector pipe as I used my double wall on another fellas install! It's working fine.
Either way stainless insulated double wall Class A chimney from the ceiling/thimble up is really the accepted norm in this neck of the woods. Tripple wall hasn't been used, recommended here for years.
Be safe and enjoy the season!

You need to check with your insurance company,mine wouldn't cover double wall going up the side I'd the house, had to be triple wall.
"Double wall Stove Pipe" and double wall insulated "Class A Chimney Pipe" are two different products that get confused in discussion sometimes.
They are clearly not the same product. Really doubt your insurance company would have any qualms with "Class A insulated Chimney Pipe". Maybe ask them for clarification. It would be good for you to research and post that info here. If your ins. comp. does not allow it, post the company name. Interested.
I know that PA is widely using Class A insulated stainless double wall chimney.
@Bholler can certainly chip in if he is a member here?

My first call would be to there home owners insurance company and see how they want it done. Second would be to see how the stove maker wants it done. On my Garn boiler Garn wanted Class A insulated right out of the Garn all the way to the top of the chimney. That was fine with my insurance also. I had them inspect the install after it was completed.

"Double wall Stove Pipe" and double wall insulated "Class A Chimney Pipe" are two different products that get confused in discussion sometimes.
They are clearly not the same product. Really doubt your insurance company would have any qualms with "Class A insulated Chimney Pipe". Maybe ask them for clarification. It would be good for you to research and post that info here. If your ins. comp. does not allow it, post the company name. Interested.
I know that PA is widely using Class A insulated stainless double wall chimney.
@Bholler can certainly chip in if he is a member here?
We did ask about double walled pipe, perhaps they mistook for un-insulated pipe? They were fairly adamant about triple walled insulated chimney pipe. It's been a few years now, but there was some sort of certification it needed for a wood/coal stove.
We ended up using dura vent, as it was available locally. Had an inspector come out after it was up, and sent his report to the insurance company along with the receipts. No issues since, and I know I'm covered. Hence why I said to call the insurance company and make sure it's OK to use.
Can't hurt, since they are gonna look for whatever excuse not to pay out if something happens.

Back