Six-Sided Files!!!!!!?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilarch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was over at the Save-Edge site and saw that they have 6-sided files...like a stop sign profile...only with 6 instead of 8 sides.

Has anyone used these? Are they kind of a compromise between square and round file?

!!!!!An inquiring mind NNNEEEEEEEEDDDDSSS to know!!!!!
:popcorn:

Yes they are for square filing. I got one to see if it was easier to use than the one that is flat. I don't care for it one bit. I just stick with the flat one, plus I can get the rakers with the same file. Personal prefrence I guess.

I bought one of the triangular files to attempt square filing for the first time and found it doesnt work well at all. Ordered the flat 6 sided file from Baileys and it is much better for filing square grind.

15070l.jpg

?????

I must be doing it all wrong:dizzy:I found the 6 sided easier to keep in the corner.Any pointers you well seasoned guys have on the flat one would be welcome.

I bought one of the triangular files to attempt square filing for the first time and found it doesnt work well at all. Ordered the flat 6 sided file from Baileys and it is much better for filing square grind.

Both the Tri-corner and double-bevel files do a good job of filing square chisel chain, it's all about technique.

This is why I prefer the flat 6 sided file. It files the the entire side of the cutter and the gullet. This is a brand new Stihl RSLFK by the way. So all the angles should be correct.

chain001small.jpg

This is a picture of the triangle 6 side. You can see it files only about 2/3 of the side of the cutter and doesn't touch the gullet at all.

chain002small.jpg

Show us a top view of the tri file with the major surface doing the side cutter. The minor bevel will then not be able to do the entire top plate unless you are using different angles than what I am looking for.

I find the thicker section of the tri file cuts the tie straps unless you are satisfied with quite blunt angles.

This is how the gullets get filed.

15070l.jpg

Where did you order your PFERD files from? How much each shipped? I'm seeing about 85 bucks a dozen through other sources.

This is why I prefer the flat 6 sided file. It files the the entire side of the cutter and the gullet. This is a brand new Stihl RSLFK by the way. So all the angles should be correct.

chain001small.jpg

This is a picture of the triangle 6 side. You can see it files only about 2/3 of the side of the cutter and doesn't touch the gullet at all.

chain002small.jpg

Am I calling these files by the wrong name?To me the one in the top pic is triangular(6 sided), the bottom pic is flat double bevel.

Show us a top view of the tri file with the major surface doing the side cutter. The minor bevel will then not be able to do the entire top plate unless you are using different angles than what I am looking for.

I find the thicker section of the tri file cuts the tie straps unless you are satisfied with quite blunt angles.

This is how the gullets get filed.

I don't believe you can even fit the large side of the triangular file in there to file the side of the cutter. Even if you could, the smaller side of the file will not do the top of the cutter like you said. Here is a video of my first 20" round to square converted chain cutting a round of seasoned Maple. I had to backoff the upcut as the stand started walking across the concrete floor in the garage.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i627.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid627.photobucket.com/albums/tt351/busaman2008/372husky.flv">

I've used both files on my chain. I seem to get better results with the triangular file. I just use a round file to take out the gullets when needed. That's just my preference though. Just as long as the chain cuts like a raped ape that's all that matters.

:cheers:

[QUOTE=jack-the-ripper;1408428]I don't believe you can even fit the large side of the triangular file in there to file the side of the cutter. Even if you could, the smaller side of the file will not do the top of the cutter like you said.

From the picture it looks like you had the broader flat of the tri file on the side cutter. I agree that would be a problem for the top plate.

I did get some of the flat style chisel bit files that were all wonky on the edges with one being twice as wide (or narrow) than the other instead of even. Garbage!

I dont think any style of file will sharpen nearly the whole edge of the side cutter but since only the top 30 thou. or so is cutting that is all that is needed.

Back