size of saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dpcutter

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
I have two 70cc class saws, 575xp and a 7900, at what point will a 395xp or a 660 out pull the saws I have? I'm not sure it would be worth buying a larger saw then what I have. On occasion I cut some large hardwood, 36" or so diameter red oak, but not always. I may consider playing around with milling in future, but not sure...

Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
I can not speak for the 7900 cause I think some of the people here will claim it is the lighest, fastest, most cutting saw ever but I have not tried one. I notice a very small edge for my 660 over my 460 with 24 inch bar's burried in oak. I notice a big difference with 36 inch bar's and do not have a 30 inch bar to try and compare. If you are gona stick with the 24 inch bar your 7900 should not loose much if any to the 660 or 395 If you are gona go longer you will really like that extra HP

dpcutter

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
well, I will prolly stick with 24" bar, that will cut up to a 48" piece correct? or there abouts?...I don't think I'll encounter anything larger then that...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
well, I will prolly stick with 24" bar, that will cut up to a 48" piece correct? or there abouts?...I don't think I'll encounter anything larger then that...

You can fell a close to 60" tree with a 24" bar, but for bucking that is not practical, about 45" is the limit, depending on the spikes/dawgs on the saw (larger ones means less diameter possible).

B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have two 70cc class saws, 575xp and a 7900, at what point will a 395xp or a 660 out pull the saws I have? I'm not sure it would be worth buying a larger saw then what I have. On occasion I cut some large hardwood, 36" or so diameter red oak, but not always. I may consider playing around with milling in future, but not sure...

At 28 inches (very sharp chains) my 7900 are same ballpark as my 066 and 395. By 32 the tides turn and from on (36, 42) there's no comparison, displacement wins.

Sounds like no real need to go beyond your 7900, as it will wail on half a big tree just fine. At 24 inches of bar, you won't gain much going bigger, except the grin factor. Which of course can be a good reason in itself.

Last edited:
dpcutter

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
sounds good, I mean what's the point here in New England to have a larger bar then 24" or so, there are not too many 4 foot trees around here, and a 28 inch bar will do about a 56" diameter log, so why go any larger????

66mag

66mag

ArboristSite Lurker
I have both a dual port 066 mag and a 7900. I have run both with 24" bars buried in white and red oak, and they seemed equal. I have a 28" bar for the Stihl, and it pulls it very well. I think the larger motor ( 91cc vs 79cc) would eventually pull even larger bars better. The 7900 is very impressive for its size though.

Latest posts