Skagit Yarders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elwellboy

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently rescued a Skagit B30 F yarder from where it had been sitting in the brush for the past 60 plus years. I’ve posted a couple videos of it on my YouTube channel (Elwellboy). I’m looking to begin a restoration project on it. Wondering if there are any old timers here that might have any information on a B 30. Only piece that seems to be missing is the reduction gear assembly so will need to track one down. There’s probably one laying around somewhere just need to find it.

Link may not work...
the "take off" on that trans is just an adapter to the output shaft direct to a sprocket that then runs out to the yarder, most times these are missing for some reason? but I don't see why a couple pillow block bearings and direct coupler to the output shaft won't work, as for gearing down most of that is achieved by the sprockets sizes on the drums, sprockets are fairly cheap and easy to machine the ID to whatever size you need,
Sprockets in general are "LEGO" parts, find the correct chain pitch and tooth count you can probably find what you need through McMaster Carr or one of the Bearing Shops in Everett. (pacific bearing?) as for shaft work, maybe Drivelines NW, they may even be able to source an output shaft, but for sure the correct coupler to your intermediate Jack shaft. Probably going to be more then a little custom machining involved... nothing major but you'll need some one with more then the harbor fright bench top lathe/mill combo.

I have seen some that had a sprocket mounted direct to the jack shaft... how wise this is I'm not real sure as the trans casting isn't really designed for side loads like that.

As for the Motor... its a Ferd, throw some ATF in the spark plug holes, wait a day or 3, clean the carb, give it 12v and it will probably even run, the trans might be seized tight too though... Really a funner option would be to stick a Cummins 4bt and an automajick trans on there... but purists be purists lol.

I don't know the model, but some local boys rescued this from a blackberry patch and got it working. It may be covered by blackberries again. They entered it in the Morton Logger's Jubilee parade and won a prize. For a while, it sat out with a For Sale sign on it, but was unsold and last I saw, was parked in the back 40 of a construction company.
Skagit Restoration10001.JPGSkagit Restoration20001.JPGSkagit Restoration30001.JPG
Unfortunately, the boy on the left was killed in a mill accident just after he graduated from high school. Sad time for all.

I don't know the model, but some local boys rescued this from a blackberry patch and got it working. It may be covered by blackberries again. They entered it in the Morton Logger's Jubilee parade and won a prize. For a while, it sat out with a For Sale sign on it, but was unsold and last I saw, was parked in the back 40 of a construction company.
View attachment 1039114View attachment 1039115View attachment 1039116
Unfortunately, the boy on the left was killed in a mill accident just after he graduated from high school. Sad time for all.
What a tragedy for an obviously talented young man. From the pictures, it looks like they did a great job on the restoration. Exactly what I have in mind. From the operator's side, that looks very similar to the one I have. Judging by the exhaust, looks like it too has a Ford V8 for power. I would love to get any information about who I could contact to visit and take a look.

Latest posts

Back