skid steer debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tallrick said:
Something else I would love to try out. Where does one go to get experience with these different machines?

If you are serious about buying or just can "seem" serious; most of the dealers around here will bring a machine out and let you use it for a couple of days to a week. You have to contact the company, meet with the salesman for your area, express a sincere interest in a particular machine, hem & haw a little comparing it to another similar machine that the compitition let you try a couple of weeks ago and wait for the salesman's offer to try their machine. Failing that you can always rent the machine for a 1/2 day or day and try it out. Cat and Bobcat also offer classes for skidsteer operators.

So, it's possible to take classes on skid steer use? I actually asked the Bobcat dealer in Miami but they had never heard of such a thing. Of course the dealers down there don't seem very interested in selling anything, just talking on their cell phones, I guess the machines sell themself. Buying one is something I have thought of, if they can do the work to make it profitable. The next time I am offered a lot clearing or topsoil spreading it would be a good idea to rent one if it can perform better than the small tractor. One idea I was given is to try and find someone who uses skid steers and take a job with them for a few days, I like the idea, but who would hire someone for only a few days? If the skid steer loader isn't too hard to operate, and does the job it's what I need. The guys I have hired who have used them swear they are the best, my only concern is perfoamance and how much damage they can do. Also are they rugged enough to lift and move small trees? Can you pull out an uprooted stump or will it tip forward?

I too would recomend an articulated loader like a kabota or Terex. I have run lots of loaders and even trashed a few yards. I dont think you can go wrong with articulated. It may be a little bigger but in my expierience you can get it in tighter places just because the way it manuevers. Good luck

tallrick,
You need to honestly evaluate what you need to do with one of these machines. I spent two years trying different models, talking to everyone I could find who had any experience, studying the values of used equipment, etc; before deciding and making a purchase. But I didn't have an immeadiate business need which would have been a different story. Koa Man is right in saying that they all tear up a lawn. I chose an ASV track loader because I am working in a woods which stays wet to damp for 8 months out of a year. I didn't want a big machine because I have to scoot around through the trees. I haven't had any problems with my ASV and have good service people 40 miles away. I don't think that you could get a job for a couple of days as a skid steer operator with no experience. Renting one would be the only way to get your feet wet that I can think of, unless you have a friend who would lend you one for a weekend.

It's funny, because I had a friend with a Bobcat 743 which I helped him repair, the pump had disintegrated, spewing metal shavings throughout the system. Also the injectors had become clogged on the engine due to fungus in the fuel tank. We negotiated the price, and he got the machine cheap than I helped by disassembling and listing the parts he needed. After he got them we put it all together. I never bothered to try and drive the thing, because at the time I was working as a network administrator, and never thought much of outside labor. Eventually I had a second chance as his wife was having a baby and he asked if I could handle his jobs for a week, even though I was on vacation and could have done it I went on a cruise instead. Now that I think about it I would have rather been using the Bobcat than having fun on the ship. By the way he moved from Florida a few years ago and now owns a supply yard in Minnesota.

Most of the work I do now involves fertilization of existing trees and removing damaged ones for homes and businesses. Don't know if I need a skid steer or not but want to see what they can and can't do. I have really appreciated the advice too! I am going to start talking to every landscaper I meet until I can make a new friend or friends. Should be able to learn a lot that way!

RIP HER ZTO SHREDs

who cares about the lawn ripper up boys, give the landscapers some work, In this bussiness you gotta do your brothers a favour, scre wthe skid steer, buy a d-4 cat dozer:) take that acros her, thatill pull your trees:angry2: :cry: :spam:

Koa Man said:
You are joking, aren't you? If you serious, well, my comments would not be allowed on this board.
Somone didn't take their happy pills today, and maybe a case 850 would work better:):sucks: :angry2: :bang:

Latest posts

Back