Skid Steer splitters – the good, the bad and the ulgy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting info. I just purchased a outdoor wood stove this summer. I Run a tree and backhoe service. This answered a lot of the questions I have. I am currently running a 3 point tractor style splitter that I picked up used for 300 bucks where someone added a stand and wheels to it. I use my S-185 on this thing and with a 4"x30" stroke cylinder the cycle time is fast enough to be a little bit scary. I just use it obviously just for splitting by hand. I set up by my pile with the skid and the splitter, and set the front backhoe bucket just under and beside the splitter split my rounds and dropping them into the backhoe bucket, then I just dump them into one of my four old flare box or barge wagons, and park them in one of my old sheds. I just picked up a stand alone splitter that a guy had flipped it over going down the road a couple of times. It broke the frame and trashed the motor. The cylinder, I beam and wedge was just fine yet. So I think I got a bit lucky and picked it up for 200 bucks. Its a 5"x 28-29" stroke cylinder. I am going to mount it on a quick attach plate with framing and have it mounted upside down and sideways in front of the skid. I realized without a log lift a lot of the logs I drag home are too much stress on my body to try to get on the splitter. I plan to use the skid mounted to quarter up some of the larger rounds to be able to handle by hand to split in the conventional splitter. The way I look at it my back is very crucial to making my business go and having the skid splitter is good insurance for my back. From what I hear back surgeries are not cheap. My Idea for running a boiler set up is to save money not ruin my body.

Using the mini skid and a grapple to load the stand alone splitter seems very tempting. I tried it a few times with my Ramrod 900 and TW-6 (I know...why don't I have the log lift). Sure it makes getting the beast rounds into the splitter much easier but for one guy ( like the OP wants to run his operation) the jumping back and forth between machines kills you time wise. Scenario: You have a 3-5' round. Load it onto the splitter with the mini. Hop off. Split the round. Back to the mini to pick up one half (I'm pretty strong but picking up half of a 3' chunk of anything can still be darn tough). Load it. Jump off. Head to the splitter controls and whack it again. Now you have some manageable chunks that can be turned into sellable product. Process them. Back to the mini to get the other half....see where I'm going? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my mini and grapple. An inverted splitter on the mini would probably be more useful to get the huge rounds down to a manageable size. They could then all be staged by the regular stand alone splitter.

I use my skidloader as a work table for my stand alone. It does require a second person. In my case one of my slaves, I mean children...and they fight to be the one to run the loader!

10186917364_c2951590d9_c.jpg

10187035676_442eb31879_c.jpg

The grin on your kids face is priceless. My son and his buddies do most of the grunt work around here. Running the skid steer is a treat for them.

On a side note, did you make your own tracks? Does that design work well for you? Is there any thing you would do differently?

On a side note, did you make your own tracks? Does that design work well for you? Is there any thing you would do differently?
These are EEL Tracks. Don't know if they are still in business. I bought them pre-owned, never used for $300. Some of the best money I ever spent! I spent 10 years running crawler loaders and was disappointed with performance of skid steers with tires. Only issue is they are a pain to keep tight as they stretch. I have well worn foam filled tires under them so I don't worry about excessive drivetrain wear as the tracks will slip on the tires if needed. I posted this video before, this thing will go about anywhere.

If I had the money to wear out my skidsteer splitting wood, Then I would have a 379 long nose peterbuilt as my daily driver. I'm alttle different than than some folks.

It seems the OP has made a wise decision.
My $.02.
A fellow operator built his own splitter for his New Holland Skid Steer a few years ago. He used it for 2 years.
Last year, he took it apart and used the parts to build a splitter that attaches to his John Deere 710d backhoe.
I've only heard him talk about it, but he seems to be happier with his production. He only splits for his OWB.

It seems the OP has made a wise decision.
My $.02.
A fellow operator built his own splitter for his New Holland Skid Steer a few years ago. He used it for 2 years.
Last year, he took it apart and used the parts to build a splitter that attaches to his John Deere 710d backhoe.
I've only heard him talk about it, but he seems to be happier with his production. He only splits for his OWB.

I have thought about a bigger mini excavator but the aux hydraulic flow rates are to small. Spoiled with high flow aux on loader. (23 + 13) gpm. My high flow is two pumps plumbed together with a solenoid.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

I have a Boxer mini skid 20 hp...set it up with a Northern Hydraulic splitter, I think it was thirty tons, and splits in either direction...so it's fast. Had to adapt the splitter as it was made for a 3 point hitch...used a blank adapter plate, and a little angle to attach it, hardest part was ordering the right sized connectors and hose the first time. Best things about it you can lower the boom to the ground to roll on the really big logs, and will pick them up to working height, and being a mini, you can step off without climbing over/through everything like on bigger machines. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

I have a Boxer mini skid 20 hp...set it up with a Northern Hydraulic splitter, I think it was thirty tons, and splits in either direction...so it's fast. Had to adapt the splitter as it was made for a 3 point hitch...used a blank adapter plate, and a little angle to attach it, hardest part was ordering the right sized connectors and hose the first time. Best things about it you can lower the boom to the ground to roll on the really big logs, and will pick them up to working height, and being a mini, you can step off without climbing over/through everything like on bigger machines. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

Howdy, welcome!

The guys will be wanting pics of your little handy rig!

Buy 1 of each. Or I thought about buying a used 3 point splitter, flipping it over and welding it to a quick attach somehow. could be done for under $600

If I had the money to wear out my skidsteer splitting wood, Then I would have a 379 long nose peterbuilt as my daily driver. I'm alttle different than than some folks.

I bought a skid loader cause it was a tax write off and my daily driver is a Honda van......lol

Skid is handy for scooping snow. Grading driveway. Portable ladder. Tear out and scoop old concrete. Prep for concrete. Haul and grade pit run. Put patio in this fall. Hauled pallets of pavers, block, morter, cap stones. Moving wagons, empty and loaded with wood, backing them in garage. Move steel cages with splits. Load and move junk appliances. Helped lift/support 2 stall garage on trailer. Set garage in place. Move big logs from pile to cut.

Thats all I can think of last year. I would not be without one. Grapple is on the list to get next.

The thought has crossed my mind to build splitter mount, but I agree it is a lot of extra wear and tear on machine and yard. Running little gas 6.5 hp on splitter is a lot more cost effective in long run, if taken maintenance on skid steer and gallons burned. I think productivity is a lot more on my dedicated horizontal/vertical in splits per hour. More labor intensive, but way more logs split.

I have had a Wallenstein WX-410 inverted splitter on a CAT 287B with the wider of the 2 tracks (18" wide I believe) I picked up the WX-410 at the Paul Bunyon Show in Ohio- October 2013 for dirt cheap. $1280, If I recall correctly. I think they retail for $1600. Excellent, excellent piece of machinery. You can see the wedge moving and can split anything. And like you mentioned before, you are sitting in the heat, listening to bluegrass. We have put it to the test and it has not bent or cracked, yet. The skidsteer does dig a little bit of a hole but we have crushed concrete on top of #3 limestone and that seems to work just fine. It is the prime grading machine after all. However, as mentioned, it does not make premium/finished firewood. It will pay for itself over 30-40 cords, easily though.

Getting the skidsteer close to a stand alone machine, working by yourself will eventually be a disaster. Hoses and gas tanks don't hold up well to anything dropped on them, much less a 200-600# wet oak round..... The inverted machine makes everything quite manageable......

Also, buy the best root grapple/ grapple bucket you can! That machine will cripple a chincy one....I have a Loflin and love it.

Back