skid steers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobcat electronics

KC Bobcat in Grandview is where we went. T190 was the machine. Some of the responses above involved non high flow attachments. It will work on those. I am talking about activating the high flow option. I understand the difference in opinion. I keep reverting back to looking at severe duty machines at plants, mines, highway construction etc. and you almost never see a Bobcat in these applications. I am not saying they won't get a lot of work done and be a tremendous improvement over not having a machine.

I disagree with this. The A300 definitely tears up grass. I had one for two weeks. Bobcat left it here hoping I'd buy a few. Wet lawn, it does NOT float like a tracked machine and 75% of my customers irrigate their lawns on a daily basis. I put about 50hrs on the A300 and returned it to them along with unsigned paperwork. ASV turf edition is the only skid loader designed to leave no trace on nice lawns.

Well, I guess we will each have to prefer the machine we bought for ourselves. There is no doubt that a track unit has lower ground pressure and greater stability. And there is no doubt that ALL track units are SKID steer. I equate "skid" with turf damage and rapidly worn out tracks (or tires). So we each have a different point of view.

I'd like to see you drive that track unit 2 miles down the street to the job, because it was quicker than loading it. Not every machine works best for everyone. I really envy how much better the track units can grade an area than any wheeled unit.

a300

I disagree with this. The A300 definitely tears up grass. I had one for two weeks. Bobcat left it here hoping I'd buy a few. Wet lawn, it does NOT float like a tracked machine and 75% of my customers irrigate their lawns on a daily basis. I put about 50hrs on the A300 and returned it to them along with unsigned paperwork. ASV turf edition is the only skid loader designed to leave no trace on nice lawns.

Hi john just curious i talked to you before about my a300.Did that demo have turf tires on it or beef baby tires when you demoed it.I have owned my bobcat for almost 2 years.On very wet lawns that are so wet i can leave a foot print yes it will turn it to mush.On lawns that are more dry as long as i dont keep going over same area im fine no print.I use ply wood if i need to on wet lawns.If your demo had beef baby tires and not turf it will rip it up because of the deep thread.Any way how is your spider lift i sent you message wondering how it is doing.Thanks

Hi john just curious i talked to you before about my a300.Did that demo have turf tires on it or beef baby tires when you demoed it.I have owned my bobcat for almost 2 years.On very wet lawns that are so wet i can leave a foot print yes it will turn it to mush.On lawns that are more dry as long as i dont keep going over same area im fine no print.I use ply wood if i need to on wet lawns.If your demo had beef baby tires and not turf it will rip it up because of the deep thread.Any way how is your spider lift i sent you message wondering how it is doing.Thanks
Yes the A300 had turf tires. A machine that can not travel over the same path; around the pool, turning at the flower bed, misssing the EP henry wall, and out through the only opening in the gate. How are you ever going to get that silver maple loaded into the trucks. Plywood I guess? Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a loader that claims "turf tire" option will do the trick, doesn't it? Besides, those tires are so wide making the machine even more cumbersome than it already is. We were digging up small plants/bushes to even get one clear route so the machine could squeeze by.

A tracked machine is the only way to achieve turf(wet or dry) friendliness, with turf tracks. So far there is only one manufacturer that provides this option, ASV.

As for my spiderlift, always breaking down. However, when working 100% its a better solution than climbing or when the bucket truck can't fit. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM. Was away from this site for a few months.

skidsteer

Yes the A300 had turf tires. A machine that can not travel over the same path; around the pool, turning at the flower bed, misssing the EP henry wall, and out through the only opening in the gate. How are you ever going to get that silver maple loaded into the trucks. Plywood I guess? Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a loader that claims "turf tire" option will do the trick, doesn't it? Besides, those tires are so wide making the machine even more cumbersome than it already is. We were digging up small plants/bushes to even get one clear route so the machine could squeeze by.

A tracked machine is the only way to achieve turf(wet or dry) friendliness, with turf tracks. So far there is only one manufacturer that provides this option, ASV.

As for my spiderlift, always breaking down. However, when working 100% its a better solution than climbing or when the bucket truck can't fit. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM. Was away from this site for a few months.

Well you have had your machine for some time and you had a demo for a short time.Its ok if you think A300 is not suited for what you want.As i have said for me my experience with it is very awesome powerful machine.Wet lawn have to use plywood regular lawn doesnt leave print.I recommend this machine to any one.

Here's mine
attachment.php

Those green track ASVs are amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULRjWtjj2g&feature=related

They do look neat on film, but everything is dry. I wonder what happens when you try to drive up that steep hill on a dew covered morning.

Does anybody own one of these green tracks, and how are they when it is wet?

John464, come on, tell us ALL about your favorite. The good parts and the bad!

They do look neat on film, but everything is dry. I wonder what happens when you try to drive up that steep hill on a dew covered morning.

Does anybody own one of these green tracks, and how are they when it is wet?

John464, come on, tell us ALL about your favorite. The good parts and the bad!

elmnut also owns this same machine, and I believe there are a couple others on here with the smaller model RC30.

the good parts is I pick up 3,000lb logs with it in residential yards and dont need plywood, mats, or need to worry about damaging lawns. No damage at all. Even soggy grass. 3.1psi. Thats about the psi a human foot puts down. Never have I slipped or couldnt get traction. I've seen the grass guys put ruts in the lawn with their big wheeled zero turn mowers and the same day the lawn guys did damage to the lawn and we did none. The machine gets plenty of traction with the extra wide tracks and the way its roller undercarriage is designed. On hills, water does not stay on a hill, at the base of the slope is were water lays. So no problem there, havent got caught in a downpour on a big hill yet so I dont know how she will do. We have worked in pouring rain loading timber in a yard that was flooded(couldnt see the grass) Still plenty on traction, however, we did leave some marks. Which was ok, since it was a lot clearing job for new construction.

Bad parts, No dealer close by. New tracks are $7,000 and do not last as long as standard tracks. The hydraulic valve bank is very hard to get to, to tighten middle fittings even with angle wrenches. Wish it picked up 6,000lb logs..Hmmm..thats about it

I have a New Holland LS180 with a root grapple attachment. I don't know what I would do without it. I haul it around inside one of my roll-off dumpsters. I also found a lady that wants all the chips I care to dump. All I have to do is push them over the edge of a gully that she is trying to fill. The machine pays for itself just in saved dump fees. I also use it for snow removal. It's not as fancy as more expensive Bobcats or Caterpillars but it gets the job done and it has not had a single problem in five years except for a minor hydraulic leak.

This is my first post here,but I picked up a Cat 246 a few months ago,and I dont know how i ever went without it all these yrs. I have a 32hp compact tractor,also,and a real big old Michigan 2.5 yd loader,but the Cat is the perfect size machine,I use the pallet forks,and bucket quite a bit,I just built a log splitter,and i am slowly getting more attachments as I can afford to build them.

I do like the green tracked machines from ASV,the biggest downside to the tracks is cost of replacement tracks,and idlers,if you do enough work to justify it,they are awesome.

Asv 100 Question

After watching that video the green tracks are pretty impressive.You have the asv 50 right and what weight can you pick up.Im pretty sure the asv 100 picks up 3300.Thanks terence

After watching that video the green tracks are pretty impressive.You have the asv 50 right and what weight can you pick up.Im pretty sure the asv 100 picks up 3300.Thanks terence

the rc50 tips at 3800lbs. I have done 3800 with it but it must be on level ground. Normally carry around 3000lbs to be safe. The rc100 tips at 7600lbs. IMO the the RC100 is too wide for residential yards. Since tracked machines dont bounce like a wheeled machine you can feel your max weight when the grapple taps the ground. The machine is either flat or tipped forward. Keep the grapple low and rolled back on the heavy stuff.

Last edited:
We are running a CAT 246 as well. One thing I have heard is that high flow is needed if you run a stump grinder. So far I have NOT FOUND THIS TO BE TRUE. If it had any more power I would think you would be tearing up the machine/grinder. It takes quite a beating just the way it is.

We are running a CAT 246 as well. One thing I have heard is that high flow is needed if you run a stump grinder. So far I have NOT FOUND THIS TO BE TRUE. If it had any more power I would think you would be tearing up the machine/grinder. It takes quite a beating just the way it is.

That is because a 246 has 22+ GPM of flow without the high flow option.Many smaller SS have only 15-18 GPM unless they have high flow,and then they usually have 25GPM on the high flow.

I'm going to look at a used ASV RC50 at the local Vermeer place. I'm trying to decide between it and the smaller RC30. They have one of each used right now that they took in on trade. Any comments?

Do yourself a favor and get a mini loader and a dump trailer.

I'm wanting to move more into the tree business rather than just the stumps. I don't think the mini will be large enuf.

I've already got one other tree company that would use me and my skid steer if I had it.

I do plan on getting a dump trailer very soon.

Back