skidder advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mologger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am wanting to update my skidder. i have a 450a timberjack its a grapple and am wanting to trade for a franklin 170. i have found a 93 model it seems to be a good machine they are wanting 14000 for it i was wanting to sell my jack for around 10. i dont know how good franklins are never ran one. there has to be a reason franklins seem to be not as high in price. any advise?

i just bought a franklin 185. should be here tommorrow. whats not to like about a franlin? cummins motor= good, clark trans=good, look like well designed, well built machines. franklin has been building machines for a long time. i think the machines look good too. it took me a long time to find a new machine in the $35k to $40k range. i looked at deere, cat, timberjack, clark, you name it i looked at it. they all have about the same options, i prefer the idea of a cummins as you can go to a junkyard and find a running cummins for not alot of dough. deere makes good stuff, hell they all make good stuff. i didnt want a timber jack prior to 95 or so because of the limited slip axles front and rear. i heard bad things about 518's. refuse to buy anything with a detroit in it. (noise) i like the machines that have center oscillation, i think it makes for a much more stable machine. some franklins have it. i was told by some salesmen that in their areas, one make or another was preferred. a chevy vs ford kind of deal

Latest posts

Back