Skidder Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradstr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to harvest 20"-30" white pine so I am looking to purchase a 1970's cable skidder (newer models too expensive) and I was wondering what models to look for and which ones to avoid (if any). Any suggestions?

Hello ,

If your looking for a 70's era machine I would suggest a Deere 440 or 540 both excellent machines with a reputation for being very reliable and will pull alot more wood than you would thing for a smaller machine . Or you could go with a TJ 230 or 240 cable machine they are good as well but they usually have Detroit's in them which by days end get rather loud with the noise they make..screamin detroit ...

There really are alot of models , what are you leaning towards ..also have you considered a small forwarder ?

Later Rob

Is this going to be a machine you are going to be working everyday, or are you only buying it for one job?

I bought a JD 440-B last year. I had to do a little tranny work on it, but when it was all said and done I have less than 6k in the machine. I love it for what I'm doing, and I can haul it on a gooseneck trailer. If I was on a little bigger scale of opperation I would want a bigger machine, but the 440 fits what I'm doing now.

Andy

bradstr said:
I have been looking at the 440 and 540 only. But I can't really find any information on HP and any other specs to compare.

440 claims 70 horse, but don't let that scare you, it will do a lot for what it is.

Andy

And that is about what you are going to get out of a similar sized machine (Tree Farmer, Garrett, TJ) with a 353 Detroit. 70-90 horse depending on injector size.

Well I just purchased my first skidder yesterday and I can't wait to use it! It's a JD 440B and has only had two owners. It was the best condition of all the machines I have looked at by far. Now I need to get a set of ice chains for the back tires, new seat and change all the fluids. Any suggestions on where I can get a good price for the chains and/or seat? Size 18.4-26 tires.

Is the frame still good on the seat? Any automotive trim shop should be able to repair or make new cushions for you. That is the last piece left on mine to do. I just changed all the fluids, fuel filters etc yesterday. Glad I have a dirt driveway. It was ugly...
You may want to check with CJ Logging Equipment. They may have some used chains if you don't want to break the bank on new ones. I think they are in Booneville NY but not positive. Good luck with the Deere. They are a nice machine.

I picked up a new seat for my 440-b on ebay for 65.00 if I remember right.
They used the same seat on some combines, and other tractors. It's bright yellow, but I don't notice the color when I'm sitting in it.:greenchainsaw:

Andy

Back