Skidding winch for the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines adjustable, both the lower block AND the hitch,

standard.jpg

AND, if the above winch in question was mine, it would be too!

SR
That hitch looks like a great design.
Is it that beneficial to have all those options with the lower block, I haven't found a need for that yet.
I could sell you mine and then you could make it that way, or I could throw it on the trailer and bring it over and the receivers:).

I would like to sell this one and get a newer one to to start with before making to many mods to it.
Not that this one isn't a great winch, I am just trying hard to upgrade to newer stuff that is in much better looking condition.
Last yr was an expensive one:envy:, but things are looking prettier:picture:.

NOW, why would "I" upgrade YOUR winch, so you can sell it to make more money off it?? lol

Sounds like a "good deal" for "some one"!! lol

SR

NOW, why would "I" upgrade YOUR winch, so you can sell it to make more money off it?? lol

Sounds like a "good deal" for "some one"!! lol

SR
That's why I wouldn't ask you to do it, if I planned on keeping it that would be different;).
This one was not bought to flip, but use. I will be coming out a bit short on it with the time I've spent on it and the 50 cans of brake parts cleaner I used on the chain(slight exaggeration) along with the dry lube, and the driving I did for it. But I got to use it and that made me some cash:). I buy many things to flip and make money, but I also buy tools I need for a job and sell them sometimes at a loss after getting the job done. I normally end up way ahead of renting the tool, but I'm not working on the rental companies time frame but my own. That's exactly how I got started on log splitters; went to rent one not available, tried again same thing, tried one more time and it was available, good feeling gone when they said they had only one day available and I had to work that day:(. So I bought a used one and made good money when I sold it:).
It's awesome if you can get use out of an item and make a buck.

NOW, all you need to do is, fix the hitch the way you want it, and buy some paint. Then it will be "pretty" and you can keep on using it! lol

SR
Will see, but I probably will never paint it knowing me. Truth is I'm to lazy to paint it. Besides that would just be more money lost or I would have to price it around 75% of a new one. As it is I'm sure it will sell quick and then I will add another $500 to the money I get take a drive and get a pretty one. That will give someone who can't afford to spend a little more a winch that can be made nicer looking when they get the extra cash. Who knows, they may have a paint shop or want it the same color as their tractor and not want to spend the extra $500 and then have to paint it too.
There is a buyer for anything if the price is right:).

The good old days? That stuff is still available in lots of areas around here. If you are talking about the ability to pull off the yellow muffs with the wife beater, sorry, I can't help with that. The fact that your tractor isn't sitting with the front tires up tells me that is a fairly heavy piece of equipment, I need to weight the front end of mine.

Shea

image.jpg
The good old days? That stuff is still available in lots of areas around here. If you are talking about the ability to pull off the yellow muffs with the wife beater, sorry, I can't help with that. The fact that your tractor isn't sitting with the front tires up tells me that is a fairly heavy piece of equipment, I need to weight the front end of mine.

Shea
Never judge a wanker by his wife beater. Lol
The Kubota had a high capacity material bucket that held 30 cubic feet or about 1/4 cord. 1200 lbs on the front helped a bit.

View attachment 492755
Never judge a wanker by his wife beater. Lol
The Kubota had a high capacity material bucket that held 30 cubic feet or about 1/4 cord. 1200 lbs on the front helped a bit.

Now that is a stick to drag around in the woods. I can only dream of somewhere that flat to cut. If I'm not up or down off a skidder path then I am cutting my way in. I will be loading the bucket today with some of the oak I've been cutting so that tomorrow it will all be ready to go. I have some decent size dead blow down oak to pull up and cut......and I won't have an easy time of it with the big root balls to work around. I wish I could get my son up to help me, but he has another school project to fulfill, going to the math fair. Do you guys like having the help, or prefer to do it all yourself? I'm a little OCD about who does what. About the wife beater, that ain't judging, you have a Stihl on that shirt, wear it however you please.

Shea

PS-'Stihl' actually stands for awesome in German.

Naaaa, the state cut it down and kinda messed it all up. Then their articulated loader couldn't lift it or pull it up out of the ditch. I came by with my tractor and told them I'd pull it out for them, and they all stopped working and lined up to see if I my tractor could do it. lol

Once I started to move it out of the ditch, one of them yelled "it's yours", so I pulled it right down the road, all the way home! lol

SR

I was pushing some full length trees at my landing , pushed the butt in place , moved up to the top to push it in place and wedged the winch in the crotch , if I lifted it would roll and wedge , if I went forward it would roll and wedge and backing up was a no go , had to cut myself out LOL

IMG_20160220_150605.jpg

Hard to see but I welded in a piece of square tubing and drilled a hole for the pin for a hitch , since it's a small winch , Norse 180 , no need for overKill .

IMG_20160207_153100.jpg

UAZGHMJpkDNy3ecWlqRX_j9FWNlJHiZTfU6_EpACl68WHk0GFpXK4cg5tIDcBGXlR8x1I1Tv4QeRHjwf4BT2hihqjBcrNBMXVEkTQGAzGrloXGfHTs_6eVIeJVGC0BXeyXRNnqysMiosYSmdjYieC-ihRFXhUimMk6rloea_GEZko37dPk3alNze4cueLeE_Yd2XgvLrKXWX4XgJlXfEOfl0866265pGYttE8U4pdaJooRlSVLAceA4E-RBRcaLIe-J8E7hQpQH79yniJr7KtpldBSpzzRkhf1IRjtk6SgTGSzEy6NRFwDd5YAZE5XZxIrp7RGZqE5BM-a1zt9LsFosP2-RDNGTZcBygD0WxrXeJuevoVz41kfn-X-zq-kdSrXye_YnMPAsyvjvW4UM4iz5jGbyJSni4KxuH4Q-QahSwIxcV7eyfh72KeGuBzxKQlJF7ansyqKMmTd-XvwnKX5N0uWnGd0bCDaZ5KAapCN_6X9ixoST-JMCuM0yutC0pIqSjKfBhRCMATp8G68a09cOMq4AEDaZfZomqCsJ5zKJh-DjRZB_bxc1JzbmKEB9PvD3r=w1302-h963-no

I was pushing some full length trees at my landing , pushed the butt in place , moved up to the top to push it in place and wedged the winch in the crotch , if I lifted it would roll and wedge , if I went forward it would roll and wedge and backing up was a no go , had to cut myself out LOL

IMG_20160220_150605.jpg

Hard to see but I welded in a piece of square tubing and drilled a hole for the pin for a hitch , since it's a small winch , Norse 180 , no need for overKill .

IMG_20160207_153100.jpg

UAZGHMJpkDNy3ecWlqRX_j9FWNlJHiZTfU6_EpACl68WHk0GFpXK4cg5tIDcBGXlR8x1I1Tv4QeRHjwf4BT2hihqjBcrNBMXVEkTQGAzGrloXGfHTs_6eVIeJVGC0BXeyXRNnqysMiosYSmdjYieC-ihRFXhUimMk6rloea_GEZko37dPk3alNze4cueLeE_Yd2XgvLrKXWX4XgJlXfEOfl0866265pGYttE8U4pdaJooRlSVLAceA4E-RBRcaLIe-J8E7hQpQH79yniJr7KtpldBSpzzRkhf1IRjtk6SgTGSzEy6NRFwDd5YAZE5XZxIrp7RGZqE5BM-a1zt9LsFosP2-RDNGTZcBygD0WxrXeJuevoVz41kfn-X-zq-kdSrXye_YnMPAsyvjvW4UM4iz5jGbyJSni4KxuH4Q-QahSwIxcV7eyfh72KeGuBzxKQlJF7ansyqKMmTd-XvwnKX5N0uWnGd0bCDaZ5KAapCN_6X9ixoST-JMCuM0yutC0pIqSjKfBhRCMATp8G68a09cOMq4AEDaZfZomqCsJ5zKJh-DjRZB_bxc1JzbmKEB9PvD3r=w1302-h963-no
Thanks for sharing both what goes right, but also what doesn't as we can learn from both. Wasn't that you that posted the truck up to the axles, maybe the frame last fall or this winter in the scrounge thread:cheers:.

This is the finest cherry I've personally ever seen,

standard.jpg

At 20' 6" it really filled the mill deck up!

standard.jpg

and it had good diameter too,

standard.jpg

Once I opened it, I could see it was REALLY nice!

standard.jpg

And the lumber I got out of it was amazing!

standard.jpg

That log came out of a blown over tree, that ALSO gave me an 8' 6" and a 6 footer...

SR

Wonder if these would be good for milling:), butt is 6', next is 8' and last smaller one on tail is 8'.
Trailer is 20".
Or do you think they should be bucked up for firewood.

These were all loaded with the winch:).

20160318_192535.jpg20160318_214138.jpg20160318_214056.jpg20160318_214107.jpg This was all off a scrounge at a construction site, also got this. Split that yesterday also.20160318_083317.jpg 20160318_083317.jpg

Back